It is legal for you to pump your own gas in Oregon today

The Governor signed the bill today lifting a 72 year old law that was way outdated. In Oregon you could not dispense gas, which is a class B flammable. You could dispense Diesel, which is a class II combustible, but not if there are located on the same pump. The state eased up on pumping your own gas in rural areas after a certain time of the day a few years ago. This new law still forces stations to keep a few pumps open for free full service. After reading a few articles, some people act like the world was ending. I get it, you still have people born in Oregon and never left the state, but these days over half the state moved there from California.

IMG_0289.gif

Born in CA. Moved to OR. Got used to it. Then moved to WA (all before ~1988). Go to visit a daughter near Astoria a couple years ago. Costco. Of course I get out to pump gas...........nope..........funny how I forgot.

Nice. I wish they would do that here. It often takes longer because you have to wait.

My wife and I took a trip to Portland OR in my C6 Corvette and went south along the ocean to CA. The pump attendants told me that people that drove sports cars and Corvettes could either pump their own or have the attendant help filling the tank. I let them fill my tank and they were very courteous and carefull. I never had a chip on my paint from a gas pump altercation. Tip: Place like Costco or stations with newer pumps have some sort of shut off when filling the tank. The trick is turn the filler handle upside down and put it on the lowest setting and it won't keep clicking off. I learned this on a C7 Corvette U-tube video and it does work. Some vehicles are very sensitive to these newer pumps. Also when it clicks off don't keep filling it because you can damage the charcoal filter.

I still remember pulling into a tiny town on the eastern side of the state in the morning and watching tumbleweeds blow across the highway. The man filled us up and gave us a good breakfast tip down the road.

It's got to be weird learning a skill if you've never done it now that you can if you've never been out of the state in a vehicle considering it's something almost all of us have done forever.

Idiotic laws like prohibiting pumping your own gas in OR and NJ are vastly outweighed by the concept of state sovereignty. The citizens get to choose their government and what laws it makes. Way more important than what the rest of us may think about their laws. I say bravo to the people of NJ and OR!

My grandma and MIL refused to learn how to pump their own gas. Grandma was a product of her time but MIL has people that enable this refusal to "adult."

Actually, we midwesterners felt bad for you and this change was one of the requirements in the contract allowing Oregon and Washington to join the BIG 10 today. :unsure:

Now, only the dolts in New Jersey are too accident prone to safely pump their own gas.

I understand, in New Jersey, with the popularity of EVs, they are amending the law to prohibit plugging in your own car. You will need a licensed electrician to do it for you.
Don't give them any ideas. 😂

But there is that one off idiot trying to fill petrol in a plastic bag. I can't decide how to process these rare but hysterical incidents if they ever happened to me.

a) hand they extra bag to keep from leaking
b) explain the hazards, persuade other ways
c) social media upload hoping for Likes 👍
d) offer them a cigarette and lighter
e) call fire department

Watch out for all those new truffle eating flamethrower wielding potheads OP. This image would make a great water color painting…

Back