Stop Saying It!

On a related note: Everyone knows the French word, "merci" It means "thank you".
If you want some word fun, try to find a direct idiom for "You're welcome" in that language. There ain't one.
They employ "tres bien" (very good) or French versions of "think nothing of it" and many others.
I love this stuff.

Oh, to be honest with you, I hate the way 'awesome' has stuck in our lingo. Have a nice day.

Oh, and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

What did the hot dog say to the bratwurst? "Let me be frank with you."
I was in Stockholm, summer 1997, when a very attractive woman waiting for a bus, told me, “Var sa god.”

I obviously misinterpreted those words, judging by the swift slap to the face.

When I got home (I didn’t even have a cell phone until 1999 but folks there already had them), I found that it it didn’t mean, “In like Flynn” as I had thought…

To be honest with you nomas, I wasn't insulted. I just wanted to clarify that there are animals out there, not that I live among or was raised by them.

To Inked: How 'bout the modern euphemism for anything bad.....Unfortunate!

To Be Honest With You.

So, does this mean everything else you said prior was a lie or distortion?
I have a friend of 35 years and I weened him off of this. He didn't know he was saying it 25 times an hour.

My Favorite?
TO BE TOTALLY HONEST WITH YOU.

Does this mean that prior you weren't totally honest?
What percentage of truth earns the totally honest labeling?

What maybe >50% is being totally honest?
Wouldn't it be easier just to be honest period?

Most chiselers deal in this wordsmithery.
I watched several police shows and these phrases from both sides happened with alarming frequency..
Just an observation. Don't get your knickers all wadded up.

It comes off to me as being disingenuous. How about you????
To be totally honest with you all.... Thats all I have to say...

Cheers... another winner :)
To be brutally honest - that's the term I use, most people can't handle barenaked honesty or facts. They will be offended or outraged. It's better to give them a fair warning that some criticism, a different view or opinion is coming their way.

Now, when a used car salesman or a politician starts out a sentence like that iis a red flag - but so is anything they say. It's not a good sign when your doctor says, "To be totally honest, your lab results could be better. (pregnant pause) We found abnormal blood cells in your stool."

Last edited:
I ain’t gonna lie,…I believe people that start a conversation with those words are about to lie to you. 🤔😏🍻
How about, I've got some good news, and some bad news, which would you like to hear first?

Isn't that like when you use super long life antifreeze, and mix in normal antifreeze, which is totally compatible? The mixture takes on the properties of the lesser long lived.

The average person doesn't realize that we all probably have some kind of phrase or term that we use frequently without realizing it .
I will be explaining something to somebody and frequently will say, "and I'll tell you why".
It backs up my statement and I get to keep talking.

Many of these "terms" are simply used as fillers. Imagine how confusing it is for non English speaking people. I am amazed by the thousands of Idioms we have. Such as "all the same". In fact, there are at least a few hundred idioms that contain the word "all".

Sadly, I am as guilty as the next guy. I use idioms constantly, and am generally unaware of it.

To add:
"Like". To like, be very, like, honest with you."
And putting "at" at the end of a whereabouts question. "Where is it at?"

Back