Notary public services

I had to get something notarized today to vouch that my driver license had been seen for an application. I've dealt with free notarization before like when I was getting a loan or a home sale and a mobile notary was provided or even where the loan officer had a notary license.

They're kind of hard to find so I usually go to a UPS Store where I suck it up and pay the maximum fee per signature (which is $15 in California). They pretty much all charge the same price. But when I went a location that I've used before, I was told the notary had left for the day and the clerk recommended another nearby place.

So I go there, mention I need notary service, and am told to go to the back where they have all the stamps and notary books. The notary comes back and politely and professionally handles all this stuff and we go to the front to pay. I had the $15 ready in my back pocket but he only takes $10. I said I expected it would cost the statutory maximum like other notaries I've used, but he says that he doesn't wish to charge that amount. I think that was the owner of the store. Still - I've heard in some states there's a maximum fee of maybe $2-5.

Still - there's got to be some better way than this. I've seen some commercial showing a notary being used and saying that it's just insane that we deal with paperwork like this.

Banks do it for FREE
Except it seems they never have one around.

The max notary fee here in SC is $5.00. The local UPS store that I frequent for shipping I believe everyone there is a notary, at least I have had many of them do it over the years.

You can probably get a notary seal and stamp online from China for that $15. Does anybody ever check if it's legit?
You probably have the name of the guy on the stamp. Anyways the point of notary is to make sure your ID is checked on the signature, so they can probably sue you if you break the contract. If you "notarize" yourself you still get sued I guess?

Banks do it for FREE
Some do it for free for all services.
Some do it for free but with restrictions on what they'll sign.
Some don't do it for free at all, but will sign all things.
Some don't do it at all unless it's for their own bank business.

AAA does some. Banks here only do it if you have an account and it’s related to their business.
FYI - Notary Public is closer to an attorney in European countries. A lot more education required.
In case others read the thread from other countries.

You may need a Medallion Signature guarantee sometime later in your life. There’s $$ caps - my credit union’s $50k.

AAA does some. Banks here only do it if you have an account and it’s related to their business.
FYI - Notary Public is closer to an attorney in European countries. A lot more education required.
In case others read the thread from other countries.

You may need a Medallion Signature guarantee sometime later in your life. There’s $$ caps - my credit union’s $50k.

I've heard that some with notary public commissions in the US represent themselves to be "notarios". Notarios are found in many Spanish speaking countries - who are supposed to be legal advisors who can give legal advice and can represent clients (outside of a courtroom setting).

My wife is a notary. As stated above, the purpose is non-repudiation of the signature. She doesn't charge a fee.

There is also something called an apostille which is sort of like a notary of the notary for international use.

My wife is a notary. As stated above, the purpose is non-repudiation of the signature. She doesn't charge a fee.

There is also something called an apostille which is sort of like a notary of the notary for international use.

Apolstilles have to be performed by a state's Secretary of State. There are some states that don't have one, and I hear the Lt Governor's office in Hawaii is responsible for that sort of thing.

When I was looking up notarial services, I found that US embassies and consulates can do it although it might require an appointment. It's also a little bit confusing as to who can request them and for what purpose. Certainly one is for documents sent to the United States, but I could imagine someone needing to notarize a US State Dept form destined for another country. I think most checking of ID is considered "attestation".

What fees are charged for consular notarial and authentication services abroad?​

There is a $50 fee for each notarial service and authentication service provided by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Fees may be paid in cash or by certified check or money order. No personal checks are accepted. Certified checks or money orders should be made payable to the United States Embassy or Consulate. (For example, United States Embassy Kingston.)​

There may be some cases where it's free. I know some people who have signed the consent form for a parent who can't show up for a child's passport application in person. That can even be in the United States, but overseas creates a completely different set of difficulties. But I suppose a child could be in the United States while one parent may be in another country. I'm pretty sure that passport issuance is considered a consular service, even in the United States. This is from the US Embassy in Nigeria.

Consent forms for Consular services and notarials or certified copies to be presented by claimants, beneficiaries, or their witnesses in connection with obtaining U.S. Federal, state, or municipal benefits are free of charge if notarized at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, although individuals may also choose to have them notarized by a Notary Public in the United States.​

This says the child passport consent form is free to notarize at a US embassy or consulate.

When a child under the age of 16 applies for a U.S. passport service, the child and both parents are typically required to appear in person. If you are not able to attend their passport appointment in person, you may submit a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.​
Services at the Embassy and Consulates are by appointment only. When you attend your appointment, you must present your government-issued photo I.D. (such as your U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) together with the Form DS-3053.​
There is no fee for this service.​

Insurance agencies do it for free even if you don't have insurance with them. State Farm for one.
Some law firms, too. Where my wife works they will notarize for free if they like you. Former clients, friends and associates, people that call and ask nicely.

Back