Spray wax instead of regular wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have my attention !
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
If RTexasF gives advice, it's worth heeding, at least for me.

I was up against caring for four new cars in the last several years and I was clueless about preserving them and approached this website as my principal source of information to do that. I spent several days combing through the BITOG archives on finish care (and care car in general) and RTexasF comes up over and over as the voice of achievable and reasonable auto detailing in a fashion I could get a hold of quickly. For me that turns out to be Duragloss sealants (thanks Satin Silver) topped with one of several Collinite products and maintained with Optimum spray wax. That process may be too simple for those willing to spend lots of time and money finding their own regimen, but it's what I've come to and it works brilliantly for me.
I'm not schmoozing any individual or product, I just hope to be able to pass on what works for me, gained from the experts here.

Since there's lots of real life reviews already posted, I'll add some interesting facts to consider.

** After decontamination, clay bar, and polish, applying a sealant or wax to seal the pores of the paint and add a layer of protection is entirely up to the user. You can use paste, cream (liquid form) or spray wax. All will get the job done, the question is for how long...?

** After applying a sealant or wax, it is best to avoid washing and rubbing the paint (wax?) in order to minimize wax removal with each wash. The more you wash and then rub your microfiber towel on the paint to dry it, the more you're removing with each wipe. This is why high end detailers will blow off most water off the paint and then very gently pull a super plush towel over the paint to dry it, trying not to touch the paint anymore then necessary. If you rush thru the car, quickly and forcefully drying it off, you're removing a layer of wax each time.

** let's say you apply a thick layer of paste wax in January and wash weekly with regular car soap that doesn't add wax as you wash. How long before the layer of wax is scrubbed off and bare paint is exposed?

** let's say you apply spray wax after you finish polishing and then you constantly reapply a quick layer of spray wax every second car wash (washing every week and add spray wax every 2nd week). How long before the layer of wax is scrubbed off and bare paint is exposed? Technically NEVER, right? Since there's always new fresh wax / sealing agents being rubbed on the paint to add a layer of protection.

** now the only negative part of CONSTANTLY using a spray wax, is obviously the fact that you spend a lot of time rubbing the paint with the applicator, be it a microfiber towel, etc. this increases the chance of adding a swirl mark or two and dulling down the shine, as the microscopic swirls pile on as the months pass. This will require more polishing next time vs a car that received say, 2x LESS biweekly rub downs over 12 months time.

As you can see, it's very hard to get any real scientific data to analyze in order to decide: What is Truly The Best Method?

Only long term back to back tests like someone posted from the helicopter exhaust discoloration is worth noting as some good data.

At the end of the day, until a large scale unbiased test is done, it's anyone's guess as to which method protects best.

I choose to lean towards the side of sealing the paint after polishing and then apply monthly spray wax applications to constantly replenish the paint protection. It's easily removed by driving thru a few rain storms with all the nasty stuff that is leaking from cars and is being high pressure sprayed on your paint at 60mph and then bakes in the sun right into your beloved name brand wax / paint.

Speaking of oily rain water sitting on your paint after driving on wet roads... who washes their car right after to remove said contaminats from the paint ASAP???
crackmeup2.gif

After years of Nu finish I'm hooked on turtle wax ice syn spray "wax". I can put it on everything with no fear of white residue. Even the windows get a coat. Seems like there's nothing there putting it on. Weird stuff

*My new favorite to prolong Ultimate wax application - about the best over the counter spray wax .
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
After years of Nu finish I'm hooked on turtle wax ice syn spray "wax". I can put it on everything with no fear of white residue. Even the windows get a coat. Seems like there's nothing there putting it on. Weird stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back