Hi bidder at $25 USD on this fifth wheel RV trailer.

What gets me is someone still had full coverage on it when it got in this condition. Maybe they were still making payments!

Is State Farm on the hook for parking & storage fees at this auction house? Maybe they should burn it down.

You could tow it to a fish restaurant parking lot and solve crimes out of it. $200 a day, plus expenses.
rockford5-1024x752.jpg

What gets me is someone still had full coverage on it when it got in this condition. Maybe they were still making payments!

Is State Farm on the hook for parking & storage fees at this auction house? Maybe they should burn it down.

You could tow it to a fish restaurant parking lot and solve crimes out of it. $200 a day, plus expenses.
It’s possible the other party was at fault - not the RV owner?

So it was declared a loss, and the insurance company paid for its total value. When it was found later, the insurance company offered the owner some price to buy it back, and he refused. State Farm thinks this thing is worth more than anyone else does.

So it was declared a loss, and the insurance company paid for its total value. When it was found later, the insurance company offered the owner some price to buy it back, and he refused. State Farm thinks this thing is worth more than anyone else does.
Reserve not being met at auction is not uncommon. The insurance companies want to maximize their recovery from the loss.

Yes, I was the only bidder 0n 4 JAN 2024. But one has to look at a few other factors. When was the trailer appraised? If it was summer in Portland, I suspect this would may likely have had different biding attention. if this trailer was in Denver/ El Paso/ Phoenix/ Tucson, I suspect this trailer would have had much more bidding attention. Wet Portland the first week in January is not the most inviting time to bid on a trailer with missing windows. The same trailer in Phoenix- the missing windows mean significantly less.

Quite possibly my best auction buy was a 2006 S500, one owner, dealer maintained with 40k miles. I won the bid at $300 USD. The car was auctioned in Pittsburgh. The car was listed as an engine fire, but it was not a engine fire, the car was in a garage that caught fire. If this car was in LA, Miami, NYC, Philadelphia I suspect it would have sold for well over $3,000 USD.

If you ever get bored- here is the thread on the $300 engine fire S500:

For State Farm not to counter offer my high bid suggests the appraiser from Satet Farm believes the vehicle had significantly more value than $25. Not that it did, but the assessment from the appraiser suggested there was value.

I am relieved simply because I didn't need another project the involved taking up space and exposure to rain. If I lived in Arizona and was @AZjeff next door neighbor, I would have parked it in his yard until I forgot about it.

You had a good plan...

😁

If I lived in Arizona and was @AZjeff next door neighbor, I would have tried much harder to win the rv, and parked it in the yard until I had time to get to it.
Sorry but the demonic HOA doesn't allow it and besides there's not wide enough access to the back yard and nowhere in the front. Lots of $75/month storage lots around.

Consider yourself very very lucky losing this one.

Reactions: GON
I have to assume they figured someone like this is going to bid on it - but there website says you pay them to take it away, and they still sell what they can. I had assumed there was some sort of recycling - how many of these things do they make a year? Useful life is likely shorter than a Hyundai Theta 2 engine.

I have to assume they figured someone like this is going to bid on it - but there website says you pay them to take it away, and they still sell what they can. I had assumed there was some sort of recycling - how many of these things do they make a year? Useful life is likely shorter than a Hyundai Theta 2 engine.

They make plenty. You can find the same travel travels stacked pretty deep at dealers all over the country. It should be noted they may have different names and/or model numbers but they are the same trailers by a given manufacturer.

You could have made that work. the neat thing about rebuilding an RV is there aren’t many rules, and the bar is low. Even the wife won’t care much. you can use cheap materials with good diy craftsmanship to make a really neat, serviceable interior, to your customized liking. I think you would have been ok. And if you clean up the outside, which really wasn’t bad, nobody would fuss. Paint it a newer dark gray with black trim and there’d be style points awarded galore.

Reactions: GON
Quick update:

The trailer is now available via buy it now for $1600 USD, about $2400 out the door (before taxes/title/license) out the auction lot.
A vehicle you watched is now available via Buy Now:

Stock NumberYearMakeModelLocationPriceAuction Date
378852752000KOMFORTKOMFORTOR $1,600.0001/11/2024

Bottom line is the insurance company feels they can get more money for it. Good luck to them. I'm sure if will be a good project for someone, if they find someone willing to pay their price. Otherwise they can scrap it, write it off, and close the books on it.

I seriously wonder about a major insurance company worrying about $1600 dollars. You would think they just want it gone however?

I seriously wonder about a major insurance company worrying about $1600 dollars. You would think they just want it gone however?
I have been told (unvalidated) that the insurance companies pay IAAI/ Copart $100 to store and auction off the vehicles. IAAI and Copart make their money from the Buyers, not the Sellers ((unvalidated). If accurate, the cost to State Farm to keep a vehicle at auction another week is zero, and see what a new week may bring. An insurer like State Farm has thousands of vehicles at auction per month, so a few people at a State Farm central office rejecting/ accepting non reserve met bids likely generates more income than the expense of rejecting non reserve bids.

Last edited:
While you were the highest bidder on the vehicle listed below, your high bid did not meet the reserve price. The seller declined your high bid.

This vehicle has been removed from your account. No further action is required.
You lucked out.

Back