Spark plug change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed spark plugs on the Matrix.
Only 57K miles, but after 10 years I worried about the threads sticking.
Otherwise they could have gone much further.
Old threads looked and felt grungy coming out, but were OK.
New (Denso):

DSCN2011.JPG

Old(NGK):

DSCN2012.JPG

I also checked valve clearances.
One intake at the loose limit, others in spec.

Since you macroed the new plug, it looks like it needs a careful wipedown.

IIRC, an old motorcycle I used to ride called for blasted compressed air into the plug area before removal.

I dont know if that would have been helpful to your R & R or not.

Also, a few drops of penetrant on the plugs to be removed while the engine is cooling down before you pull them might be nice!

Plugs came out pretty easy, more resistance than the new ones going in.
Plug wells were blown clear before removal.
All the plugs I've remove from FI engines look leaner than carbed.
All the plug reading photos I've seen on line seem to be old from the carb era.

I believe the long-life spark plugs have plated threads that facilitates removal after twelve years/120,000 miles. I hope so because the plugs in my 04 have been in the engine a long time.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I believe the long-life spark plugs have plated threads that facilitates removal after twelve years/120,000 miles. I hope so because the plugs in my 04 have been in the engine a long time.

They do. However if you are in a high humidity and road salt area I would change them early.

My six year old plugs came out ok. But most of them had signs of valve cover leaks / oil on the threads. Intentional feature, eh?

Carbon buildup on the threads towards the tip of the plug makes it a bit hard to remove the spark plug. I run a thread chaser through each spark plug hole so the new plugs can thread in easier and lessen the chance of stripping/crossthreading.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Carbon buildup on the threads towards the tip of the plug makes it a bit hard to remove the spark plug. I run a thread chaser through each spark plug hole so the new plugs can thread in easier and lessen the chance of stripping/crossthreading.

If you must do that, blow out the cylinder in similar fashion the Ford 5.4 guys do when they repair a "blown out" spark plug.

Aluminum head? Shavings are no problem. They will either burn up or pass through.

Just grease up the chaser when doing this, the grease will catch the junk. Clean the threads with some solvent on a shop rag after.

I just got a set of plugs for my Vibe, newer than your Matrix but higher mileage. It seems like there shouldn't be any hurry to change them.

I have to compliment you--those might be the best spark plug pictures in the history of the Internet. Usually it's a fuzzy plug with the driveway behind in focus.

Changed my plugs in the matrix at 70k due to age and had no problems.

In went Denso Long Life Iridium plugs.

My Rav4 is a 4 cylinder, that threw a code for a misfire on a cylinder at 80k miles. I put 4 new plugs in it, code went away and car ran fine the whole time.

I stick with the denso iridiums, you can get them at advance auto or online.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Changed my plugs in the matrix at 70k due to age and had no problems.

In went Denso Long Life Iridium plugs.

My Rav4 is a 4 cylinder, that threw a code for a misfire on a cylinder at 80k miles. I put 4 new plugs in it, code went away and car ran fine the whole time.

I stick with the denso iridiums, you can get them at advance auto or online.

If that happens again, switch the coil with a different cylinder first and see if the code migrates or stays at the same cylinder. IME, more often it is a failing coil. A new plug can mask it a little longer but it can come back.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I have to compliment you--those might be the best spark plug pictures in the history of the Internet. Usually it's a fuzzy plug with the driveway behind in focus.

Thanks, it's a serious hobby for me. Used a Nikon P7700, not a camera phone like most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back