Consensus: Do you gap dual electrode spark plugs?

I reading on the forums hear threads of both old and new, and there is a clear divide on this topic. This is my first time installing dual electrode plugs in my 2000 Camry V6, and the gap out of the box is not within spec per the Toyota FSM. What are your thoughts?

Edit: tested 1 spark plug and I can only fit a 0.022” feeler gauge in between the electrode and tip (both ends). Toyota’s specs are 0.043”.

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
In over 460,000 miles and almost 25 years of using similar plugs in my old Sienna I can tell you I have neither measured the gap nor ever adjusted it. I've never gotten a CEL and the plugs have always looked "fine" when replaced.

Does the FSM actually say to adjust the gap? I seem to recall reading either in there or on the NGK/Denso boxes that it should not be adjusted. I know the Toyota boxes likely don't say anything, but that would be left up to the manual. How would you even really do that without causing damage?

In over 460,000 miles and almost 25 years of using similar plugs in my old Sienna I can tell you I have neither measured the gap nor ever adjusted it. I've never gotten a CEL and the plugs have always looked "fine" when replaced.

Does the FSM actually say to adjust the gap? I seem to recall reading either in there or on the NGK/Denso boxes that it should not be adjusted. I know the Toyota boxes likely don't say anything, but that would be left up to the manual. How would you even really do that without causing damage?

The FSM only mentions new gap specs and old plug gap maximum specs.. I emailed Denso and they told me to follow manufacturer’s specifications. So I asked if I should gap them then, what tool do they recommended using for the dual electrode? They responded “just a feeler gauge”..

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5413.jpg
    IMG_5413.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
The FSM only mentions new gap specs and old plug gap maximum specs.. I emailed Denso and they told me to follow manufacturer’s specifications. So I asked if I should gap them then, what tool do they recommended using for the dual electrode? They responded “just a feeler gauge”..
A feeler gauge on the curved surface of the ground? I don't think so :)

I reading on the forums hear threads of both old and new, and there is a clear divide on this topic. This is my first time installing dual electrode plugs in my 2000 Camry V6, and the gap out of the box is not within spec per the Toyota FSM. What are your thoughts?

Edit: tested 1 spark plug and I can only fit a 0.022” feeler gauge in between the electrode and tip (both ends). Toyota’s specs are 0.043”.

Two 0.022" gaps = 0.044" total gap. Spark plugs gapped boss!

The funny thing is, that plug has a 1.1mm or 0.043" gap based on its part number (the 11 in PK20TR11) and according to Denso specifications. I wouldn't gap them personally.

Two 0.022" gaps = 0.044" total gap. Spark plugs gapped boss!

The funny thing is, that plug has a 1.1mm or 0.043" gap based on its part number (the 11 in PK20TR11) and according to Denso specifications. I wouldn't gap them personally.

Man as soon as I read your comment a big ole light bulb went off in my head 🤣

Yeah, hmm.

I think I will still just stick to the idea of installing them as-is. I'm still a bit unsure how you adjust those if you wished to do so.
Same way you gap any other plug. By grabbing the ground strap and bending away from or toward the electrode.

Never, ever tried to gap anything other than a standard copper plug. It even states on the box for most iridium's "do not use gapping tool".
Because people will use the cheapie tools and bend the thin electrode.

Gaps get bigger, not smaller so if they work as is, leave it be

Same way you gap any other plug. By grabbing the ground strap and bending away from or toward the electrode.

Because people will use the cheapie tools and bend the thin electrode.

I was always told you will also damage the coating on the tip. Just doesn't seem even close to necessary at this point.

I am very anal with spark plug gap - I will check and adjust every plug to exact specs EXCEPT those funny looking dual side tip plugs - I install them as is.

That's not the same as "do not adjust the gap".

The gap should be checked and adjusted to be within the manufacturer's specs. Out of the box they may not be correct.
Actually I am pretty sure that's exactly what it means use of a tool means you'd adjust it. Never checked on any iridium's, never had an issue. Even platinum's stated the same thing.

Cool man, you don't know how to do it properly, therefore you conclude it should not/cannot be done. I got it.
Lol ok pretentious much? I followed the manufactures instructions as the gap was preset, you don't...so o well?!? Never said I didn't know how to do it just said it wasn't necessary now.

Back