OEM NGK Iridium Spark Plugs replaced @ 54,000 miles on '16 KIA Forte - How do they look?

OEM Spark Plugs KIA Forte.jpg

I replaced the OEM plugs as preventative maintenance as my driving falls under severe service. They were a bit difficult to remove from the aluminum head but I gingerly loosened then tightened then loosened until it smoothly loosened out. OEM gap is .039-.044; all the old plugs were at .043-.044.
These plugs were replaced with NGK Iridium IX (on the right) plugs pre-gapped @ .040.
Why are the threads damp with oil? I can say I looked into the spark plug wells before removing the plugs & they were clean & dry. Car runs just as good as before; maybe slightly smoother & 1-2 MPG increase.

How do they look? Thank you all in advance. :)

What is the OE interval on the spark plugs? When does Hyundai say to change them? :unsure:

The Iridium IX won't last long as the Laser Iridium or the ruthenium they have now.

If you found that oil, it might be worth replacing the spark plug tube seals, which are often included with the valve cover gasket. If you're the original owner, your car is still under warranty, and you might be able to get new seals for free.

I really like the NGK Iridum IX. It's only good for 40-50K miles but a solid choice. Are those made in Thailand or Japan?

Plugs look good.
I prefer Laser Iridium thou and change them every 75k km (47k mi), so second change on a 10 y.o. car.
I had original factory coil fail on cyl 2 recently (at 100k miles) and would like to report SKP coils from RA are not only cheap but looked high quality and work great.

What is the OE interval on the spark plugs? When does Hyundai say to change them? :unsure:

The Iridium IX won't last long as the Laser Iridium or the ruthenium they have now.

If you found that oil, it might be worth replacing the spark plug tube seals, which are often included with the valve cover gasket. If you're the original owner, your car is still under warranty, and you might be able to get new seals for free.
The replacement interval on the plugs are 105,000 miles OR 84 months; for me it was due to replace based on time.

I'm the 2nd owner, so no existing warranty, but the spark plug tubes were clean & dry before plug removal & the valve cover is dry, but dusty.:)

I really like the NGK Iridum IX. It's only good for 40-50K miles but a solid choice. Are those made in Thailand or Japan?
Thanks. 40-50K miles is how long I plan to keep them in due to steel plugs & the aluminum head they're in. Removing them next time should be easy.🤔
The Iridium IX plugs I bought are assembled in the USA with parts made in Japan.(y)

Thanks. 40-50K miles is how long I plan to keep them in due to steel plugs & the aluminum head they're in. Removing them next time should be easy.🤔
The Iridium IX plugs I bought are assembled in the USA with parts made in Japan.(y)
Cool, I've seen them made in Japan, Thailand, and USA

View attachment 216017
I replaced the OEM plugs as preventative maintenance as my driving falls under severe service. They were a bit difficult to remove from the aluminum head but I gingerly loosened then tightened then loosened until it smoothly loosened out. OEM gap is .039-.044; all the old plugs were at .043-.044.
These plugs were replaced with NGK Iridium IX (on the right) plugs pre-gapped @ .040.
Why are the threads damp with oil? I can say I looked into the spark plug wells before removing the plugs & they were clean & dry. Car runs just as good as before; maybe slightly smoother & 1-2 MPG increase.

How do they look? Thank you all in advance. :)
General rule, "Not broke, don't fix it". Things can go wrong, and I first hand had that experience. It's like making extra work (and expense) for yourself. Tip; loosen plugs, then screw them in place only slightly tightened. Start the engine, rev. Shut engine off then carefully remove the plugs. This "Cracks" the carbon build up on the exposed portion of the plug, helps remove it "BEFORE" you drag a carboned plug threat though the alum. head. Use the proper grease when replacing the plugs. Frankly, plugs can be tricky and get you in trouble. I only replace them if necessary or when some other work to be performed in the neighborhood. I've experienced cross threated plugs from the factory, porcelain crumble, and even had socket get wedged in a DOHC V6 that required professional intervention.

Seems as though the plugs don't think your driving is "severe service". Those plugs could have went until 100k, which is what NGK rates them for.

Agree with @Hall that those plugs are fine. Could have run another 40K or so. Easy.

Appears you spent money earlier than needed.
I agree; the original plugs could have made it to 100K, but my Owner's Manual states the replacement interval is 105,000 miles OR 84 months.
They were replaced based on time. I assure you my driving falls under severe service; those plugs are just well made. My daily commute to work is ~2 miles each way, lots of short trips, city driving, idling, extreme temps, etc.
I prefer not to leave the original plugs in too long because the engine is Aluminum; initially they were slightly stubborn to loosen.
I kept the original plugs; perhaps I can... dare I say... reuse them next time?:unsure: :eek:♻️

I agree; the original plugs could have made it to 100K, but my Owner's Manual states the replacement interval is 105,000 miles OR 84 months.
They were replaced based on time. I assure you my driving falls under severe service; those plugs are just well made. My daily commute to work is ~2 miles each way, lots of short trips, city driving, idling, extreme temps, etc.
I prefer not to leave the original plugs in too long because the engine is Aluminum; initially they were slightly stubborn to loosen.
I kept the original plugs; perhaps I can... dare I say... reuse them next time?:unsure: :eek:♻️
Don't let anyone shame you into thinking you did wrong changing your plugs at 7 years with relatively low mileage. People here do much worse OCD care of their cars on less important aspects of car longevity.

Don't let anyone shame you into thinking you did wrong changing your plugs at 7 years with relatively low mileage. People here do much worse OCD care of their cars on less important aspects of car longevity.
I 100% agree with this. No shame in being ahead of the game. Some folks act like it's their money/time that you're spending. Haha

Do what helps you sleep better at night, friend! Plenty of folks here would knock my 6 mo oil changes with less than 2k miles on our 08 Accent as a waste of premium synthetic oil/$$$ filter. I see it as cheap insurance.

Shaming him? Come on man. Nothing wrong with letting him know the plugs are fine. That's how you learn. I have zero issue with him changing them. They're cheap and it certainly won't hurt anything. His car, he can do what he wants.

Nobody was shaming him. Some of you are ridiculous.

Years ago I replaced the OE plugs in my Corolla at 96K using NGK Iridium IX's. I assumed being Iridium meant they were good for another 90K but later learned that double platinums are rated for longer use than the IX's. The Corolla has become a condo car and now has (only) 135K. I guess I'll plan on changing them next winter when I'm in Florida.

As far as the OPs question: Those OE plugs looked fine...I would have went another year or two on them but there's no harm done changing them now.

Back