Soliciting thoughts- 2019 DRW F350 stolen (salvage but clear title)

No, its just wide electric tape. I really messed up using shipping tape, and then leaving the shipping tape on for six weeks when I worked OCONUS. I can't get the shipping tape off. Nut it is on the roof, so in time it should break down. But another of many lessons learned.

Maybe a plastic razor blade along with WD40 would work to get that shipping tape off?

Amber lights on the roof is illegal in California.

In short, the law serves as a legal version of a ban hammer, and prevents GM in this instance from equipping California-bound Sierra and Silverado HDs with the roof-mounted amber marker lights. While we can see how red and blue lights might be confusing to the majority of motorists, not many departments at the state or federal level use amber-colored lights.

WD40 is the best chemical to remove adhesive but if you want to push the easy button get one of the “eraser wheels” that go in a drill. I’ve used them on industrial stickers with great results. You might burn up a few bucks worth of the wheel to remove a 6 x 3” patch of glue but it will be done in 30 seconds. I’ll take that any day.

No, its just wide electric tape. I really messed up using shipping tape, and then leaving the shipping tape on for six weeks when I worked OCONUS. I can't get the shipping tape off. Nut it is on the roof, so in time it should break down. But another of many lessons learned.

Try using a hair dryer on low heat to soften up the adhesive enough to peel off the clear shipping tape. Then follow up with WD-40 to remove the adhesive residue without damaging the paint finish. Hopefully, you won't need to leave the black gaffer's tape on the roof too long before the nuts arrive for the marker lights. That black tape will leave a lot of residue and is known to remove paint during removal due to strong adhesion. I'd suggest using the blue painter's masking tape in the future.

Amber lights on the roof is illegal in California.

In short, the law serves as a legal version of a ban hammer, and prevents GM in this instance from equipping California-bound Sierra and Silverado HDs with the roof-mounted amber marker lights. While we can see how red and blue lights might be confusing to the majority of motorists, not many departments at the state or federal level use amber-colored lights.

I read this article and it makes no sense at all. Why would GM be different than RAM, Ford, or any other?

This is some guy and a woman who have started an online site, and that's his interpretation of the law. He's no lawyer and that, in-and of itself, makes his "version" of the law suspect.

Last edited:
I read this article and it makes no sense at all. Why would GM be different than RAM, Ford, or any other?

This is some guy and woman who have started an online site, and that's his interpretation of the law. He's no lawyer and that, in-and of itself, makes his "version" of the law suspect.

^^^^ I agree with your conclusion and looked up the CA Code myself. I think the key is that it applies to a "light bar", not to individual light modules. See the section highlighted below which says the "light bar" must extend the width of the roof or a substantial portion of the roof. Each light module assembly is on a few inches in width and the cumulative width is less than a foot.

27606. (a) No person shall own or operate a motor vehicle which is
equipped with a light bar, or facsimile thereof, to resemble a motor
vehicle used by a peace officer or traffic officer while on duty
within that jurisdiction for the primary purpose of enforcing
Division 10 (commencing with Section 20000) or Division 11
(commencing with Section 21000) pursuant to Section 40800.
(b) For purposes of this section the following definitions apply:

(1) A "light bar" means any light or device affixed to or mounted
upon the roof of a vehicle and extending the width of the roof, or a
substantial portion thereof,
which emits amber, red, or blue, or any
combination of those lights.
(2) A "facsimile of a light bar" is any device designed or
contrived to resemble a light bar regardless of the degree of light
emission or lack thereof.

Clearance lights shouldn’t be affected by state laws when they are applicable.
I don't believe they are applicable every where on a pickup truck.

quote-
"There is no clear consensus whether installing semi truck style markers on a regular-width pickup truck is legal. Some folks have speculated that it could be considered “misrepresenting” the width of the vehicle. That said, California is the only state that’s passed a law expressly prohibiting it."

What is your preferred brand of silicone paste?
For @Egg_Head . On the garage this morning a few minutes before heading to work. Pulled three jars I could quickly find.
PXL_20230831_141627018.jpg

Earlier today I installed the OEM power running boards. The biggest issue was the truck thief cut the connector from the power running board harness. It would have been easier to just unplug the harness. The OEM connectors cost $51 USD each on Rock Auto, but the wires are not color coded. Attached is the wiring schematics. It would have been a royal pain to figure out the wires without the schematics.

The running boards were purchased on Ebay, brand new 2024 pulls off, delivered for $600. The Seller did a magnificent job boxing the boards. The seller dissembled the boards and shipped in three boxes. I see these boards for sale used often for $800-1,000 USD.

Moving at the end of the month and have a ton of things to do, thought it would be best to install these, then put them in a trailer for later install.

IMG_20240413_133346 (1).jpg
IMG_20240413_133346.jpg
IMG_20240413_133346 (3).jpg

IMG_20240413_133346 (2).jpg
power running board wiring left.jpg
power board wiring right.jpg

WD40 is the best chemical to remove adhesive but if you want to push the easy button get one of the “eraser wheels” that go in a drill. I’ve used them on industrial stickers with great results. You might burn up a few bucks worth of the wheel to remove a 6 x 3” patch of glue but it will be done in 30 seconds. I’ll take that any day.
WD is awesome. I thought wife had ruined her hood (tree sap) on the pearl white car she drives. Someone told me try WD40 after expensive pro car products did zero. The WD40 got it off instantly. No damage to finish either.

The biggest issue was the truck thief cut the connector from the power running board harness. It would have been easier to just unplug the harness. The OEM connectors cost $51 USD each on Rock Auto, but the wires are not color coded. Attached is the wiring schematics. It would have been a royal pain to figure out the wires without the schematics.
Ideally you could get a connector with a foot of colored wires attached at a junkyard for $10, but now a days they wont even bother looking in their computer to see if they have that truck for a part less than $50. Even if you tell them you will pay $50 for it.

Ideally you could get a connector with a foot of colored wires attached at a junkyard for $10, but now a days they wont even bother looking in their computer to see if they have that truck for a part less than $50. Even if you tell them you will pay $50 for it.
Power running boards appear to not be a very popular option. I searched on-line for over six months and never found anyone selling the connectors.

Power running boards appear to not be a very popular option. I searched on-line for over six months and never found anyone selling the connectors.
Junkyard don't inventory connectors. You would have to search for the running boards and then ask if they would sell you the pigtails.

Back