So, Motul X-max 5w-30 is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwa

I've been using Motul X-max 5w-30, but it seems to no longer be listed on their website. I used it because it met LL-01, and i wanted to try an ester based oil (used M1-0w-40 and GC in the past).

Now it seems there is no LL-01 oil available from Motul. Or at least there won't be after stock runs out.

There is an LL-98 oil that looks pretty good though: X-lite 0w-30. It seems to be slightly thinner (only by 0.1mm^2/s at 100C) and has a slightly higher TBN. The only downside is that there is no mention of HTHS, so i'm guessing it may be below 3.5, which would keep it from getting LL-01 status.

Would this be a good replacement? Or should i look for something else that is LL-01? I've read around on here and it seems that the general opinion is that X-lite is a very high quality oil and would be very resistant to shearing. A high TBN would also help it go for long intervals, which it what i'm after, especially since X-lite costs more than X-max. Any input is appreciated.

Revised Motul X-cess carries LL-01 approval
wink.gif

Ah, i did not notice that. Looks like it's on the thick end of the LL-01 spread. I wasn't very happy with the last 5w-40 i used, and i'm a little apprehensive to try another. The engine was very sluggish on cold starts and the warm up felt like it took forever.

I guess i'm leaning towards the LL-98 X-lite at this point, given the choice between these two... I wish i could find an HTHS visc for X-lite 0w-30 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back