0W challenge with passing LL-01

Is it known why so many 0W oils lost LL-01 and still seemingly only M1 0W-40 has managed to regain it (while preserving A40)? I don't believe the LL-01 test requirements are published. Following are the two main changes I have seen posted, but I struggle to imagine why 0W would face more challenges with either of them than 5W.

More stringent oxidation requirement - 0W euro oils typically have a significant PAO or group III+ (like GTL) content that tend to do better in oxidation tests than the typically group III found in many 5W oils.

N20 timing chain test - typically down to the additive package than base oil and VII so why would 0W find this more challenging.

Is it known why so many 0W oils lost LL-01 and still seemingly only M1 0W-40 has managed to regain it (while preserving A40)? I don't believe the LL-01 test requirements are published. Following are the two main changes I have seen posted, but I struggle to imagine why 0W would face more challenges with either of them than 5W.

More stringent oxidation requirement - 0W euro oils typically have a significant PAO or group III+ (like GTL) content that tend to do better in oxidation tests than the typically group III found in many 5W oils.

N20 timing chain test - typically down to the additive package than base oil and VII so why would 0W find this more challenging.
I believe BMW has moved from the N20 to the B48 chain wear test with the latest revision in 2018. In any case part of it could be that LL01 is a dying approval in major markets (Europe, US) so there is less of a business case for blenders. *shrug*

I believe BMW has moved from the N20 to the B48 chain wear test with the latest revision in 2018. In any case part of it could be that LL01 is a dying approval in major markets (Europe, US) so there is less of a business case for blenders. *shrug*
Actually, with 2018 revision, they moved from N52 to N20 as a testing engine.
To me it looks more like BMW updated approvals.

Back