Castrol Euro Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use Castrol 0w-40, then they discontinued that and started selling a 5w-40 as their euro oil, now it seems that oil is no longer sold and they're selling a 5w-30 as their euro oil. The new 5w-30 has LL-01 and 229.5 approval, so I guess I'll use it in my cars although I've always used a 40 weight oil. I can't really find an explanation for why they have made the changes, does anyone know?

Yeah in the US at Walmart. They haven't had 5w-40 in months and all they have now is the Euro 5w-30, which I don't recall ever seeing before. I didn't look at auto parts stores since they usually charge a lot more than Walmart. Is it worth paying $40 for the 5w-40 vs the 5w-30 for $27 at Walmart?

I used to use Castrol 0w-40, then they discontinued that and started selling a 5w-40 as their euro oil, now it seems that oil is no longer sold and they're selling a 5w-30 as their euro oil. The new 5w-30 has LL-01 and 229.5 approval, so I guess I'll use it in my cars although I've always used a 40 weight oil. I can't really find an explanation for why they have made the changes, does anyone know?
Perhaps there's a trend away from 40 grades in the US. Perhaps it's a matter of cost? It's cheaper to blend 30 grades which can be easily altered to have a min HTHS over/under 3.5 cP. Fewer euro engines on the road today required a min HTHS of 3.5 cP with the almost decade long push to 20 grades.

There's always M1 0w40.

Last edited:
The grade is pretty irrelevant here with the approval. That specifies a minimum HT/HS which both oils have due to the approval.

Use the least expensive oil that has the actual approval. Buying on Walmart.com is a good way to do this when a particular store may be sold out, or they no longer carry that particular variety. My local Walmart is flush with 5W-40.

Imho:
- WM sells what sells and if they see low sale volumes they'll pull product off shelve.
- More and more cars are on the roads that don't use xW-40 oils.
- Many new/newer German cars in US went with xW-20 oils now as per their manuals.

Imho:
- WM sells what sells and if they see low sale volumes they'll pull product off shelve.
- More and more cars are on the roads that don't use xW-40 oils.
- Many new/newer German cars in US went with xW-20 oils now as per their manuals.
Yes but there are still oils available on the shelf with 229.5 approval as well as an inexpensive one with Longlife-04. Any of those would work here.

I was referring to WM, xW-40 oils still sell. They are normally full SAPS oils and industry sems to be moving away from full SAPS.
There are xW-30 full SAPS oils and many mid SAPS oils that are not worse and sometimes better than 40 oils but one needs to consider application - car, driving conditions, OCI.
WMs in diff states and cities will have a bit diff selection, say LA vs Youngstown.

I was referring to WM, xW-40 oils still sell. They are normally full SAPS oils and industry sems to be moving away from full SAPS.
There are xW-30 full SAPS oils and many mid SAPS oils that are not worse and sometimes better than 40 oils but one needs to consider application - car, driving conditions, OCI.
WMs in diff states and cities will have a bit diff selection, say LA vs Youngstown.
I guess I’m a bit blind to grade with those approvals since any differences will be quite minor. But yes I understand your point.

There's a wide selection of Euro 40wt's at WM's around me in the Chicago suburbs. If your local store doesn't have what you want, you can order from their website and generally shipping is free. Castrol 0W-40 was back in stock last time I looked on there.

Castrol 0W-40 has been long gone on the shelves of my Walmart(s). Plenty of 5W-40 SP formula stuff though. Full shelf of M1 0w & 5W-40s as well. You can get the 0W-40 and 5W-40 online from Walmart with free shipping over $35. Don't even need to leave the house.

Euro full saps spec is thick 30 or thin 40, difference is negligible no?
Biggest difference here is that 30 is more expensive for some reason.

Perhaps there's a trend away from 40 grades in the US. Perhaps it's a matter of cost? It's cheaper to blend 30 grades which can be easily altered to have a min HTHS over/under 3.5 cP. Fewer euro engines on the road today required a min HTHS of 3.5 cP with the almost decade long push to 20 grades.

There's always M1 0w40.

Euro full saps spec is thick 30 or thin 40, difference is negligible no?
Biggest difference here is that 30 is more expensive for some reason.
my friend BMWTurboDzl why is cheaper to blend 30 grades? although /if its true/ what my other friend Kalle.J. say, is more expensive there?

p.s. there is a trend away from 40 grades everywhere,here in europe too, for the reason that more and more 20's show up/i think in 5 years 30 grades will be considered based on HTHS of course the thickest oils out in the market.

p/s Numb. 2 we always talk for oils how thick or thin they are by grade,not by HTHS. its how people -market talk for oils. even if its the right thing to begin the talk for how thin or thick an oil is by HTHS ,NOBODY does it.

my friend BMWTurboDzl why is cheaper to blend 30 grades? although /if its true/ what my other friend Kalle.J. say, is more expensive there?

p.s. there is a trend away from 40 grades everywhere,here in europe too, for the reason that more and more 20's show up/i think in 5 years 30 grades will be considered based on HTHS of course the thickest oils out in the market.

p/s Numb. 2 we always talk for oils how thick or thin they are by grade,not by HTHS. its how people -market talk for oils. even if its the right thing to begin the talk for how thin or thick an oil is by HTHS ,NOBODY does it.
Since API SP, most 40’s went up both in KV100 and HTHS. Motul X-Clean 5W40 has HTHS of 3.9c. Take into consideration that VW has developed specific approval for RS6 etc. because they need thicker oils. There is trend to thinner oils, simply bcs. emissions etc. But, you can’t go around the fact that robust HTHS is needed in numerous new vehicles and that manufacturers now basically make exceptions for those models which should give a hint where would they go if they could in absence of CAFE etc.

Perhaps. But tell that to the manufacturers and see if they can change their approval requirements.

I was pondering that with less consumer demand for 40 grades blenders themselves save money from having to stock the associated base oil to hit that viscosity target. Blenders can now reduce their assortment of base oils.

I used to use Castrol 0w-40, then they discontinued that and started selling a 5w-40 as their euro oil, now it seems that oil is no longer sold and they're selling a 5w-30 as their euro oil. The new 5w-30 has LL-01 and 229.5 approval, so I guess I'll use it in my cars although I've always used a 40 weight oil.
Where did you get this information from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back