Aussie 0w40 Castrol API SN or Penrite API SP

Hi Oil Gods, I plan to do an oil change in a month. Currently, my bmw n52b30 engine is running fuchs' 5w-40 full syn (oil from a 2nd-hand dealer workshop). The owner's manual said 0w30/40 and 5w30/40 are all acceptable. Therefore, I have been looking at two oils, 0w40 from either Castrol or Penrite since they seem to have a higher grade base stock (PAO).
Any recommendation between the two of them? Penrite has all the OEM spec like A40, MB229.5, LL-01..., but Castrol doesn't have LL-01
Penrite spec: https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/10 TENTHS PREMIUM 0W-40 (Full Synthetic) .pdf
also from Penrite's catalogue, it shows the zinc ppm (bottom)
1691331574397.jpg

Castrol spec: At the time making this post, the NZ castrol web is unresponsive, but in memory the oil is the API SN/CF A3/B4 spec, with 12.8 cSt@100C, and 5900 cST@40. VI is slightly lower than Penrite.
1691332091761.jpg

As long as your owner's manual say that BMW LL01 oil is fine, the Penrite oil will be fine.

As long as your owner's manual say that BMW LL01 oil is fine, the Penrite oil will be fine.
Yep, it recommends LL01, but the Castrol blend 'lost' its LL01 approval after adding a new LL01 test for the n20 engine in 2018 (I think). My car is out of warranty anyway, just wanna get the best oil 😬

Hi Oil Gods, I plan to do an oil change in a month. Currently, my bmw n52b30 engine is running fuchs' 5w-40 full syn (oil from a 2nd-hand dealer workshop). The owner's manual said 0w30/40 and 5w30/40 are all acceptable. Therefore, I have been looking at two oils, 0w40 from either Castrol or Penrite since they seem to have a higher grade base stock (PAO).
Any recommendation between the two of them? Penrite has all the OEM spec like A40, MB229.5, LL-01..., but Castrol doesn't have LL-01
Penrite spec: https://penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/10 TENTHS PREMIUM 0W-40 (Full Synthetic) .pdf
also from Penrite's catalogue, it shows the zinc ppm (bottom)View attachment 171169
Castrol spec: At the time making this post, the NZ castrol web is unresponsive, but in memory the oil is the API SN/CF A3/B4 spec, with 12.8 cSt@100C, and 5900 cST@40. VI is slightly lower than Penrite.
View attachment 171170
Also, the 5997 is Cold Crank Viscosity @-35C, silly me.

After a bit of research, the Penrite 0w40 only meets/exceeds and is not even on the API page. Their 5w40 is, with the SP cert. Does it mean the 0w40 is sus? Tbh, I don't really care that much as long as the oil is good.

Last edited:
Just be aware of that what you’re listing aren’t “specs” they are approvals. An oil having or not having an approval does mean something

Exactly. Penrite 10 Tenths does not come with any single approval:

PENRITE said:
It can also be used in vehicles requiring engine oils meeting Mercedes-Benz 229.5, Renault RN 0700/0710, BMW Longlife-01, VW 502 00/505 00 or Porsche A40 and can be used where Chrysler MS-12633 is recommended for out of warranty applications.
PENRITE said:
PRODUCT "PERFORMANCE LEVELS":
ACEA A3/B4
API SP
BMW LL-01
BMW Longlife-01
MB 229.5.
Porsche A40
Renault RN 0700
Renault RN 0710
VW 502 00
VW 505 00

While I apprecciate Penrite's aim for high quality, I wonder about their marketing department. What does "SHEAR FREE" mean for a PCMO with a VI of 202, which most certainly comes with plenty of VII polymers? What about the term "non-friction modified"? No Mo, no B, no W and no Ti at all? :unsure:

ps:
Both BMW LL-01 and Longlife-01 mean the exact same. BMW Longlife-01 is official, but this is the first oil blender itemizing both.

Last edited:
Exactly. Penrite 10 Tenths does not come with any single approval:

While I apprecciate Penrite's aim for high quality, I wonder about their marketing department. What does "SHEAR FREE" mean for a PCMO with a VI of 202, which most certainly comes with plenty of VII polymers? What about the term "non-friction modified"? No Mo, no B, no W and no Ti at all? :unsure:
Could not see much at the TDS provided, only Boron. Also, with a higher percentage PAO blend, I presume VI is higher without much VIIs? Also, the castrol server is finally back online, its 0w40 has a similar spec with a slightly lower kV@100C.

Castrol 0w40: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...1DDCE038025888E000059C3/$File/wepp-cgslnz.pdf

Last edited:
Could not see much at the TDS provided, only Boron. Also, with a higher percentage PAO blend, I presume VI is higher without much VIIs? Also, the castrol server is finally back online, its 0w40 has a similar spec with a slightly lower kV@100C.

Castrol 0w40: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...1DDCE038025888E000059C3/$File/wepp-cgslnz.pdf
The natural VI of PAO is nowhere remotely close to 202, that points to a very light base oil blend and a considerable amount of VII polymer.

The natural VI of PAO is nowhere remotely close to 202, that points to a very light base oil blend and a considerable amount of VII polymer.
@OVERKILL ! Thank you for swinging by. So do you prefer the Castrol 0w40? Slightly lower VI, kV@100C, SAPS, TBN? Or should I go back to 5w40s? The PAO blend seems enticing/better!

Yes, between the two, I'd take the Castrol, though I prefer the Mobil FS product overall, if that's available.
This version is available. I know it's not API licensed, which I don't care about, but it is about $150 for 5L, which is $20+ nzd more than the other two, and my engine drinks 6.5L at every OC and no 1L version is available. Maybe at some auto workshops they come in big barrels. I'll ask around, thx again!

Attachments

• 1691501491252.jpg
    1691501491252.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 15
This version is available. I know it's not API licensed, which I don't care about, but it is about $150 for 5L, which is $20+ nzd more than the other two, and my engine drinks 6.5L at every OC and no 1L version is available. Maybe at some auto workshops they come in big barrels. I'll ask around, thx again!
Yeah, if it's that much more expensive than the Castrol, just run the Castrol.

@OVERKILL ! Thank you for swinging by. So do you prefer the Castrol 0w40? Slightly lower VI, kV@100C, SAPS, TBN? Or should I go back to 5w40s? The PAO blend seems enticing/better!
I had a look at the Australian MSDS, which presumably is the same as the Kiwi one, and I couldn’t see any PAO in there. Not that that’s a problem in itself, but if you’re basing your decision on it having PAO, I don’t think it does.

I had a look at the Australian MSDS, which presumably is the same as the Kiwi one, and I couldn’t see any PAO in there. Not that that’s a problem in itself, but if you’re basing your decision on it having PAO, I don’t think it does.
IMG_0092.jpeg

I think the first one is PAO, no?

Back