MOTUL 8100 X-MAX 0W-40 Lost Porsche A40 in latest API SP version

I'm sure it's a fine oil, but what is impressive about it? It looks weak from the PDS, actually. 13.9 cSt KV100 and only 3.6 HTHS, high VI, pour point doesn't suggest high PAO. It's full SAPS so it can't get C40. As to why no A40, who knows.

ohno.gif

Group IV and V with Ester in the mix hardly gets street use certification for obvious reasons, NOACK is a better determination of oils
being PAO , Ester based https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/motul-noack-list.274856/

compared to the SN formula as well as my oil analysis experience with this oil since 2018 , used 2016 Cayenne turbo S.
sometimes people fall for looks good on paper vs proven results.

for Porsche A40 applications HTHS, Full SAPS , Low ash , decent VI are best matched using this oil .
my issue is warranty that i purchased valid through 2026 .
So yes this oil is impressive but sadly i need to stock up on the SN version for now.

Note the bottle image on Motul website still have the A40 so maybe its matter of time.

Well it probably would not pass the tests or specs required.
i really doubt it , its matter of time and fees i am sure , it did happened before 5-6 years ago with the 5w40 Xcess and ended up being certified later

Group IV and V with Ester in the mix hardly gets street use certification for obvious reasons, NOACK is a better determination of oils
being PAO , Ester based https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/motul-noack-list.274856/

compared to the SN formula as well as my oil analysis experience with this oil since 2018 , used 2016 Cayenne turbo S.

for Porsche A40 applications HTHS, Full SAPS , Low ash , decent VI are best matched using this oil .
So yes this oil is impressive but sadly i need to stock up on the SN version for now.

Note the bottle image on Motul website still have the A40 so maybe its matter of time.
The bottle image also says API SN

1683245292825.png

i really doubt it , its matter of time and fees i am sure , it did happened before 5-6 years ago with the 5w40 Xcess and ended up being certified later
We really have no idea. They have multiple A40 oils already, so I doubt it's just cost.

Fees are none issue.
It is not matters of time. These products are tested before release. VW is VERY fast in approving oils. So, no, oil obviously cannot pass A40 and probably has to do something with HTHS.
KV100 at 13.9 and HTHS at 3.6? That is not something to be proud.
Stick to X-Cess Gen2 5W40.

Why do you think it’s majority Group IV/V? Even if it was, it has the other major approvals so clearly that isn’t a reason.

Last edited:

That Noack is higher (9.8%) than M1 FS 0W-40, at 8.8%.

If the SDS for the "SPECIFIC A40" lube is the same, it's 25-50% Group III, 25-50% PAO. The 5W-40 X-CESS is all Group III.

A tell is probably the use of the words "Synthese-Technologie" rather than "vollsynthetisches".

That Noack is higher (9.8%) than M1 FS 0W-40, at 8.8%.

If the SDS for the "SPECIFIC A40" lube is the same, it's 25-50% Group III, 25-50% PAO. The 5W-40 X-CESS is all Group III.

A tell is probably the use of the words "Synthese-Technologie" rather than "vollsynthetisches".
And yet, 100% Group III yields KV100 of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.8. X-Clean HTHS is 3.9.

And yet, 100% Group III yields KV100 of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.8. X-Clean HTHS is 3.9.
If you look at X-Cess Gen 2, X-Clean Gen 2, and the Specific LL-01 FE, they have really high HTHS for their KV100 despite being all Group III. The Specific LL-01 FE particularly has a very high HTFS if you plug the numbers into Gokhan's spreadsheet. Too bad the additive packs are old school.

I wonder how this is achieved or what supplier they are using? Just thicker base oils?

If you look at X-Cess Gen 2, X-Clean Gen 2, and the Specific LL-01 FE, they have really high HTHS for their KV100 despite being all Group III. The Specific LL-01 FE particularly has a very high HTFS if you plug the numbers into Gokhan's spreadsheet. Too bad the additive packs are old school.

I wonder how this is achieved or what supplier they are using? Just thicker base oils?
Base stocks could be provided by numerous companies, even those that make their own oils but are of lower performance.
The company I worked for was really small, and later sold to LukOil, but before the sale, most of our business was selling base stocks to Castrol.
I would say add pack is sold by usual suspects.

Their GEN2 stuff on paper looks really good.
I have like 30qt of it, so we will see what UOA shows up.
I just noticed that X-Clean Gen2 lost Porsche C40 when going to API SP also, so the X-MAX change is probably not just a coincidence. X-Clean Gen2 looks pretty nice... 3.9 HTHS with relatively low KV100, mid SAPS, API SP.

I wonder if X-Cess Gen2 will get an API SP reformulation?

Back