So are we going to have an "official" XenForo issue/complaint area?

Not a complaint or an issue, just a comment. I liked the old format much better, it was easier to use and navigate .

I noticed it doesn't quote nested quotes like the old system. And I see no way to do that manually easily if you wanted to - ie, multiple quotes.

that's typically done to save space. Nested quotes can waste lots of space but you lose some visibility without them.

Last edited:
If people judge a comment based on the person's "reaction" score, they're foolish. I judge comments on the content, accuracy, etc and think most here do as well. Besides, someone's score isn't readily visible. You have to effectively "ask" for it or look for it. It would be a different story if it were under the username or something and always right there. In fact, some forums have theirs set up this way.

I've also been to plenty of forums where there are fanboys of certain members, reacting to darn near every post the person makes. They end up thinking they're some sort of "god" too, typically with attitudes, and so on. I don't play those childish games though.
I'm not disagreeing with you, and I'm not trying to insinuate that everyone will be this way. However, if you need an example of what @Trav and I are trying to say here, just look at the 3rd post in the Anti-Complaint thread. It took less than 48 hours for someone to admit that this is how they will use the feature.

Again, I'm not saying that I'm staunchly for or against this feature- I can see why some want it gone and some want it to stick around. That said, in all honesty, I don't necessarily think it adds any value to the board.

Last edited:
However, if you need an example of what @Trav and I are trying to say here, just look at the 3rd post in the Anti-Complaint thread. It took less than 48 hours for someone to admit that this is how they will use the feature.
They refer to the 'like' system and reactions, but I don't see what you are referring to:

- Being able to like (or dislike) a post without commenting on it.
- Reaction score--the more likes a person has may indicate they are knowledgeable and/or trustworthy with the data they provide (I emphasize MAY here).

They refer to the 'like' system and reactions, but I don't see what you are referring to:

Here's what I said and the quote in question:
JustN89 said:
A post with no "reaction rating" or a poster with little to no "reaction score" can and most likely will be judged accordingly by the people* who pay attention to those things. Now instead of the quality of the post determining the quality of the poster, we have this new and meaningless way for some to determine "quality".

Reaction score--the more likes a person has may indicate they are knowledgeable and/or trustworthy with the data they provide (I emphasize MAY here)

Now, granted, they didn't explicitly say that this is how they'll use the feature. The use of parentheses insinuates that this isn't how they will use it, rather how others may use it. However, they added it to the things they like about the new forum hosting for a reason.

This is actually exactly what I was talking about, however- someone conflating likes (also: reaction score) with actual value. Ultimately, the like function just doesn't add any meaningful value to a board that existed for many years without it.

Here's what I said and the quote in question:

Now, granted, they didn't explicitly say that this is how they'll use the feature. The use of parentheses insinuates that this isn't how they will use it, rather how others may use it. However, they added it to the things they like about the new forum hosting for a reason.

This is actually exactly what I was talking about, however- someone conflating likes (also: reaction score) with actual value. Ultimately, the like function just doesn't add any meaningful value to a board that existed for many years without it.

Oh I'm not so sure in fact I think they should have a thumbs down for people to be calling out the trolls on here.

I'm not really for or against this feature as I can see both sides of it. However, I've seen good forums dumpster themselves because people who became more "popular" were allowed to run amok. I don't see that happening here, as this forum is very well moderated in my opinion, but it's something to consider.

That happens in technology forums all the time. People basically spam the forum with copy and paste answers that are rarely relevant in hopes of people hitting that like button. It may not be an issue here since I think we have a somewhat more mature audience than most forums, and the reaction score isn't visible unless you specifically look for it by pointing over the username. I wouldn't mind hiding the score completely and keeping the like button as a way to highlight useful posts without having to reply to them.

At least it doesn't go negative like Reddit, where any unpopular view gets downvoted and hidden.

I couldn't login as it said it couldn't find my email. I had to create a new temp username and then my email was updated. Glad to be back on!

I do think the likes should go away, or have dislikes.

The OP designation was good if we can get it back.

I don't understand why we can't just have Avatars, the placeholder looks weird, some people have them (and not just to donor and military) just turn them on and let people have them.

Dark theme is pretty OK, I had the old one set to "marshmellow". IMO Dark is too dark and everything else is too bright... can I just have something greyish and melancholy like in your spare time :LOL:

I do think the likes should go away, or have dislikes.

The OP designation was good if we can get it back.

I don't understand why we can't just have Avatars, the placeholder looks weird, some people have them (and not just to donor and military) just turn them on and let people have them.

Dark theme is pretty OK, I had the old one set to "marshmellow". IMO Dark is too dark and everything else is too bright... can I just have something greyish and melancholy like in your spare time :LOL:
Yeah, I had the "Mocha" theme on the old board, miss it here. Dark is too dark (I hate black background) and everything else is too bright. I am using the Grey right now.
I also miss the OP designation. Seems other XF forums have the feature?

Another thing I don't like is the partially shown quotes. There needs to be an option to always show complete quotes, not the partial ones we have now. Just another one of the things that requires more clicks to do.

I do appreciate the progress that has been made on several of my gripes (birthday glitch fixed, location shows in sidebar, can minimize sub forums, work on new themes (I think?)).

Still really want the ability to have more than 20 posts on a page. For a software that is supposed to be faster and more efficient, and the old software allowing 50 posts per page, no sure why we can't have more posts per page as an option.

Last edited:
I like this better. This is what most forums used to be on. AutoGuide switched a lot of them to a new design, which sucks!

Still really want the ability to have more than 20 posts on a page. For a software that is supposed to be faster and more efficient, and the old software allowing 50 posts per page, no sure why we can't have more posts per page as an option.
I mentioned this before and Wayne changed it to 30 for everyone but appears to have reverted that. I'd like the option for each person to select the number, not necessarily a site-wide setting that some will like and some won't. I know it's possible with XF but it may be add-on s/w.

My profile got deleted it seems. I had to start a new one with my work email this time. Other than that, no complaints here.

My profile got deleted it seems. I had to start a new one with my work email this time. Other than that, no complaints here.

It didn’t get deleted.

Profiles were linked to the original email from which you created it. If you don’t have access to that email, then you didn’t get the update/log-in notice, and can’t access your profile, including the “reset password” that we all had to complete after the migration.

PM Wayne with your old and new emails, he should be able fix it for you.

He’s done this for hundreds of members who are in your position.

I lost my original name, I had to make up another one. How can i get my old one back. It kept stating that there was no account with that name when I tried to log in. I use the same email.

I think there needs to be a sticky for all of these "lost my account" posts ! :oops:

Back