So are we going to have an "official" XenForo issue/complaint area?

How do I pm another member? I just went into someone's profile and couldn't see a way to PM them. I tried doing it from my own mailbox, and I was able to locate their username, but after typing out my PM, I get an error message saying
Oops! We ran into some problems.
You may not start a conversation with the following recipients:
[username]

Is this functionality that hasn't been migrated yet, or did I do something wrong?

How do I pm another member? I just went into someone's profile and couldn't see a way to PM them. I tried doing it from my own mailbox, and I was able to locate their username, but after typing out my PM, I get an error message saying
Oops! We ran into some problems.
You may not start a conversation with the following recipients:
[username]

Is this functionality that hasn't been migrated yet, or did I do something wrong?
Click their name and then “Start Conversation”

7BFDB7AA-730F-4944-8288-71F5799659F9.png

Interesting. I don't get that Start Conversation button when I clicked on their name.
PM.png

I had the same issue when I clicked on your name as well (nick1994), so it couldn't be just an issue with one user account with this forum.

Click their name and then “Start Conversation”

Interesting. I don't get that Start Conversation button when I clicked on their name.
View attachment 25079

I had the same issue when I clicked on your name as well (nick1994), so it couldn't be just an issue with one user account with this forum.
That particular user is not accepting Messages from other users. He would have to go into his (Privacy) Settings to enable that.

View attachment 25079

Maybe it only shows on mobile?

I just sent you a message, let me know if you get it.

The more I look at it the less I like it especially the like button.
I do not want to be tied up in some sort of competitive "reaction rating", it doesnt get more kindergarten than that. A way to disable it for members who don't want it would be a nice feature.

Nobody has to to click the "Like" button if they don't want to.

It may have been a good idea to blat out a mass email *before* the migration, then post here saying if you haven't gotten the email, you're going to get locked out.
Pretty sure that's exactly what the sticky thread said.

Think what eljefino means is that BITOG could have sent an email about a week before the migration happened that laid out what was going to happen and how to get back in. I'm sure many people never even go into this Forum to see what's going on.

Think what eljefino means is that BITOG could have sent an email about a week before the migration happened that laid out what was going to happen and how to get back in.
And that is exactly what BITOG did. I received that email.

Granted, if your email address on file with BITOG was invalid/outdated, resulting in you not getting that email, then BITOG can't do much about it. :)

Admin, thank you for all the work you've done on this and your efforts to make it as palatable as possible for most everyone. Unfortunately, at least for now, i'm not a fan. Maybe i just have to get used to it as it currently seems very busy and i'm not a fan of the "like" function. But i'm sure i'm in the minority.

Thanks,

W

ZeeOSix said..

" Nobody has to to click the "Like" button if they don't want to."

You miss the point. Others clicking on your post is what starts the competition with the reaction rating, there is no need for that sort of thing here, again JMHO. For me put my reaction rating to zero and leave it there.
At first I thought this was nothing more than a +1 or a (y) but its more than that, hover the mouse over someones name and you see a reaction score.

This sort of thing is terrible IMO, those with a lower score are seen as useless posters or posters with not much of any value to contribute, those with a following will get higher scores even though some may really post useless crap like endless you tube videos but will be viewed as posting being a more significant poster.
Putting a dislike button will send some screaming into the basement because they will feel the whole world is against them, 6 people didn't like their post so not everybody loves them, oh the horror. Its a bad thing anyway you put it.

Imagine what goes through someone head when they see a rating of zero (I wouldnt get many anyway, just making a point), I will be viewed as Bitogs most useless poster. LOL That is all I have to say about it, I cant change it so forget it.

do you know how this setting was applied to users?
I have not changed that setting. Mine is set to allow PMs from "Nobody". I'm willing to bet that this is the default setting and I don't blame the staff for choosing that. It should be up to the user to enable (or disable) PMs.

It wouldn't every member here to go through all of the settings, preferences, etc and customize things to their liking.

I have not changed that setting. Mine is set to allow PMs from "Nobody". I'm willing to bet that this is the default setting and I don't blame the staff for choosing that. It should be up to the user to enable (or disable) PMs.
Yeah, mine was disabled by default as well.

Although, on most forums I frequent, the ability to receive PMs is turned on by default. I guess it's up to the Admin to choose whether it should be "on" or "off" by default, and in this case "off" was chosen. Fine by me.

At first I thought this was nothing more than a +1 or a (y) but its more than that, hover the mouse over someones name and you see a reaction score.
No it's not and you're reading too much into it. Presuming the defaults here weren't changed, it goes like this:
Like = +1
Love = +1
Haha = +1
Wow = 0 (neutral)
Sad = 0 (neutral)
Angry = 0 (neutral)
Your score will never go negative. In fact, your score will never even decrease.

No it's not and you're reading too much into it. Presuming the defaults here weren't changed, it goes like this:

Your score will never go negative. In fact, your score will never even decrease.
Unless I missed something, which is possible, he didn't say anything about going negative or having "points" taken away. He's just pointing out that having such a system adds a new layer of "perceived value". A post with no "reaction rating" or a poster with little to no "reaction score" can and most likely will be judged accordingly by the people* who pay attention to those things. Now instead of the quality of the post determining the quality of the poster, we have this new and meaningless way for some to determine "quality".

I'm not really for or against this feature as I can see both sides of it. However, I've seen good forums dumpster themselves because people who became more "popular" were allowed to run amok. I don't see that happening here, as this forum is very well moderated in my opinion, but it's something to consider.

*Not everyone, but it's inevitable that there will be some who do this.

In spite of all efforts I had to sign up as a new member just to see the forum. I've been on here since Bob actually owned and ran it.....I've been robbed! :)

No longer RTexasF, now RickinTexas
Keep up the good work with this forum. Change is inevitable, apparently so was my moniker!

Back