Snap On Hard Handle Conversion

I have a strong preference in ratchets. Snap-On Dual 80s with quick release, flex head, long handle with hard handle. However Snap-On doesn't sell this configuration(hard handles with QR)

I have two 1/4" versions if this, one with the "long" handle and another "extra long". I've obtained these buy swapping handles from non-QR ratchets to QR ratchets.

I wanted a 3/8" version and since I couldn't find any good options on Ebay for a handle swap I decided I would get a soft grip handle version and swap a screwdriver hard handle on, I can't take credit for this, I saw it on the Garage Journal Forum.

Here's what we have, my desired 3/8'' ratchet with soft grip and the screwdriver hard handle(PN SDD6R1RR)
image001.jpg

I'm glad I'm swapping this soft handle out, the misalignment of the handle would drive me nuts, Snap-On QC at it's finest...
image002.jpg

From what I read if you soak the soft handle in hot water for a few minutes you can pull the grip off easily, this was not the case for me. I soaked it in boiling water for min and really struggled to get it off. Since I didn't care about saving it I just used a big pair of pliers and it still took quite a bit of manhandling and some choice words.
image003.jpg

Next I wrote down measurements of the ODs on the shaft, made a schematic, then I started drilling. Luckily using drills from a standard index I had a bit that was 0.003-0.005" smaller than both ODs on the ends and only 0.002" bigger than the one in the middle. This was absolutely ideal.

The upset where the grip meets the hanldle is bevelled a bit so I chamfered the hard handle to match so it should seat nice and flush.
image004.jpg

After ensuring the alignment was perfect a few times I used a deadblow to hammer the hard handle on. With the 0.003 - 0.005" interference fit it went on perfect, took about 20-25 blows with a medium sized deadblow to seat it.
image006.jpg

image005.jpg

Perhaps my favourite part, since I used the screwdriver handle, my ratchet now has a warning not to use it as a prybar, chisel or punch on the back.
image007.jpg

With the two 1/4" ratchets.
image008.jpg

I love the hard handles. That’s pretty much all I buy. I couldn’t imagine modifying a tool though lol. But I also don’t like quick release so I didn’t know they didn’t make that configuration. I’ve seen people put the instinct handles on ratchets too.

I couldn’t imagine modifying a tool though lol.
That’s the beauty of it thou. I didn’t modify the tool. The only thing I modded was the screwdriver handle. The soft grips are meant to be replaceable so it’s technically still in its original form.

I did exactly that same thing on the same ratchet years ago because it didn't come with an orange hard handle like every other ratchet I own.
Funny. I also have the prybar warning on mine. A few years ago, I was using the ratchet and thought to myself why would that say that on a ratchet? Then I remembered.

i’ve always liked the hard handle snap on stuff. beautiful conversion. now your dealer will know you didn’t have a cheater on it😂
I agree. Much prefer hard handle or none. The only think I like the soft grip on is the ratcheting screwdriver.

Back