Screwdriver tips (pun intended)

I'm looking for a set of screwdrivers to replace the current mishmash that has worn out, or were not great to begin with, a lot of them old Craftsman (the worn) and some newer Craftsman (the not great).

The one PH driver I always reach for first is unmarked, with a worn wooden handle and doesn't look like much, but it works better than the others, so it is the favorite. I'm aiming for the same kind of experience with the rest of them.

It seems that many of the better lines now feature serrations on the tips, to help grip the fastener. How do people feel about them? Do they damage the screws, and how durable are they, under regular usage?

The Vessel Ball with the interchangeable shafts helped open my eyes to good quality, reasonably priced Japanese tools, so they are under consideration, as are Wera and Wiha. I like the Ball, but am looking for a set with slimmer, more typical handles.

Any tips on other brands to consider at a reasonable cost? Don't use them enough, or make money with them, so PB Swiss and the like aren't on the list.

Are the Thai and Viet-made Vessels of substantially lesser quality than the Japanese?

Having seen a family member instantly destroy a brand new PH driver due to operator error, I don't put much stock in any of the various negative Amazon reviews that show people breaking tips, across brands.

These are good if you have to do electrical work.
20220929_151223.jpg

Make sure whatever Phillips screwdrivers you buy work with old JIS screws if you ever work on anything that has JIS screws. I think you'd want a driver that conforms to ISO 8763-1.

go on the Wilde.com tool manufacture, they have american made Wood handle screwdrivers,real nice stuff they have,they are like the old Irwin wood handle screw drivers,,like 50 plus ago,,check them out ,also check out Harry J Epstein.com,,if you are a american made tool person great place,,lots of screw drivers,,,,very reasonable prices ..

I prefer Vessel myself. I also have Wiha and Wera, all good drivers. PB Swiss is another quality brand.
As vavavroom said, make sure you get the Vessel drivers in the JIS tip, so much better than regular phillips. I have not seen any difference between where the Vessel drivers are made, in my view.

We use to use the Crescent Industrial screwdrivers at work. Absolutely indestructible. I think they call them acetate handle ones now.

I was in your posaition! I absolutely loved my grandpa's old wooden handled Phillips driver for many years. No new wooden handled drivers compared and the newer Craftsman are mid. Icon are decent but still didn't have that same "feel." Then I bought a Vessel ball grip and that was a game changer! I now have 4 or 5 Vessel drivers in various configurations. My mini drivers are Wiha and they are also great products.

All the brand mentioned are very good, Vessel, Wiha, Felo, PB Swiss etc but if you want a nice set of USA made Snap on without the bonkers Snap on price get a set from Williams. These are the old black handle Snap on from years ago.
The Vessel ball drivers and PB Swiss are some of my favorites.

Thanks for that Trav!

Those Snappys are my all time favorite handle.

All the brand mentioned are very good, Vessel, Wiha, Felo, PB Swiss etc but if you want a nice set of USA made Snap on without the bonkers Snap on price get a set from Williams. These are the old black handle Snap on from years ago.

I was going to suggest Klein, but they are probably around this price. Those look very nice.

Another vote for Vessel here. The seem to grip as good as the wera but last longer.

Make sure whatever Phillips screwdrivers you buy work with old JIS screws if you ever work on anything that has JIS screws. I think you'd want a driver that conforms to ISO 8763-1.
I grind the tip slightly for a better fit in JIS screws. The profile is slightly different.They won't cam out.

Paco

I grind the tip slightly for a better fit in JIS screws. The profile is slightly different.They won't cam out.

Paco
Modification is difficult with miniature screwdrivers for watches, telescopes and similar. Luckily the original JIS screws have gone the way of the dodo and are no longer used on new equipment. I think the Japanese replaced the old JIS screws with a design that's compatible with the latest ISO standards.

Icon and Quinn at Harbor Freight are decent. Craftsman Professional is also decent. I mention these based on the price range the OP would like to stay in.

That's one of the sets I was considering. Good coverage, and the tray is a bonus.

I'm aware of the joys of proper JIS drivers, but I've read that the standard has been phased out, and that the Vessels, as above, work well with regular PH as well.

I was in your posaition! I absolutely loved my grandpa's old wooden handled Phillips driver for many years. No new wooden handled drivers compared and the newer Craftsman are mid. Icon are decent but still didn't have that same "feel." Then I bought a Vessel ball grip and that was a game changer! I now have 4 or 5 Vessel drivers in various configurations. My mini drivers are Wiha and they are also great products.

Yeah, it's one of those situations where one particular tool ends up being the favorite, despite not being special in any other sense. The set of "precision" drivers I have are Wiha.

I have one of the old black S-O drivers in the mishmash. I like the hex flats they put on them.

Vessel is always my first choice and I enjoy different handle options.

Are the non-Japanese tools worth considering? Never been clear as to whether they're truly part of the regular line, or something special commissioned by certain importers. I think Tsunoda does the same thing.

Appreciate all the comments.

Back