Shopping for new riding mower, John Deere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Normally I would vote for the Deere - but I have a question: why do you think its a B&S engine? it says "JD OEM branded" which means its Chinese sourced - which gave me nothing but problems with my Toro snowblower and craftsman snowblower.

between that, and the thicker deck/more wheels - I'd be tempted to consider the CC.

Any Deere with a Kawasaki engine is golden!

It takes some digging but it is mentioned a few places that the v-twin 20 hp engine comes from Briggs and Stratton. Also, if you look closely at the 20 hp v-twin from Brigg's website below and compare it to the pictures of the John Deere engine, they are identical except for the logos. Whether it is made in China or not, I don't know. All these mowers seem to come with the TuffTorq K46 transmission too. Takes some digging but they all mention it. I am not sure if they are any good, just mentioning it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/products/lawn-tractor/john-deere-d125-256911/overview/

I do like the thicker deck of Cub but when I Compared the two side by side in person, I couldn't tell much of a difference. I have also seen some mentioning of bolting on an extra set of scalp wheels to JD and other brands.

Also to dispel a potential myth, duing my research, I called my local JD dealer and asked if the mowers sold in Home Depot or big box stores were different from what the actual dealers have, the salesmen said "NO, they are the same, as long as the model number is the same. If you are unsure, compare the model number you are looking at in a store to what is on the John Deere website."

At Lowes, the local dealer did the final assembly of the JD riding mowers as opposed to a store employee. I agree that a given model number is the same no matter who sells it.

Navy- I would never consider buying a mower at Wal-Mart..... No thanks but thank you for confirming what I was thinking.

Lubener- I have been considering the idea of getting another craftsman. The mower I have now is over 12 years old and it has been trouble free nearly the whole time. The only early failure I with it was the poorly routed headlight wires. The fell onto the side of the block and melted through the first or second year I had it. They are mostly for decoration anyways so I never bothered to fix it. the Craftstman 20381 would be the model I am looking at and it is a few hundred cheaper than the JD and Cub Cadet. There is also the craftsman T7800 which would compare more directly to the JD I was looking at. That maybe another serious contender. Admittedly, I want to like the JD just for the name but I am much too pragmatic to let myself get all fan boyish and buy something simply because of the brand.

At Sears, model numbers starting with 247 are MTD and 917 are Husqvarna. Forget the MTD junk.

Avoid Cub Cadet, and avoid Kohler. The newer Kohlers are all made in China. There are numerous horror stories about the Kohler Courage series of engines. Cub Cadets are just expensive MTD nightmares.

The Home Depot Deeres are decent machines for their price. Take care of it, and it will last a while.

I'm searching for a new mower myself after owning a JD STX38 for the past 20 years. Great mower btw, just old. I've checked into both Huskvarnas and JDs. After checking them all out, I believe I will buy the JD S240. It's a step up from the mowers sold at the big box stores and comes with the 18.5hp Kawasaki engine.

If going with a big box store the d140 is a pretty good buy.

If you can afford it step up to a real tractor not just a lawn mower...

or perhaps a zero turn mower if all you do with it is mow?

AMC- I'm not sure about the issue you're having with brakes? Is your LT2000 not hydrostatic drive? Regardless, the brake on riding mowers is more of a parking brake or for a panic stop than anything. A banged up and crooked deck can be avoided by making sure you never mow with it mashed to the ground.

Like said, the riders you list are all the same class as your Sears machine. The only MTD product I like are dealer bought Cub Cadets with shaft drive to the transaxle. I owned one (still in family) and I've worked on a few. I guess they call them "XT3" series machines now. The problem is, they're priced right along with a dealer John Deere rider now. Given that, I'd go JD instead.

There's nothing wrong with Husqvarna group built riders, like your Craftsman. They're OK for the relatively low cost that they are.

So I am starting to look for a new riding lawn mower. I have a 1 acre yard with 6 trees and a small but steep hill. I have a 12 year old craftsman LT2000 that has had a pretty hard life.

I have done some pondering and I think I would like to upgrade a little with my next purchase. A more powerful engine, a hydrostatic transmission,

Steep hills and hydro transmissions don't mix well.

I'd suggest the AYP built, 42 inch Craftsman 6 speed LT2000. 19HP Platinum Briggs engine with oil filter, tight turn radius and cast iron front axle. Decent machine by todays standards I think.

I checked out one at the Sears Outlet, if my 2009 Craftsman Tractor wasn't running fine thats what I would get.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42inch-19...HMKDw#Imagezoom

Simplicity for a basic residential mower

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Based on my personal experience, I'd look at Simplicity first, then John Deere. My parents and I made 3 bad purchases with cub cadets.

Most importantly, only buy from dealers. Not Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes they have different transmissions in the big box stores.

I am on borrowed time with my JD180 with the kawasaki engine. I bought it used from a friend for $125. The hood is busted and the deck is falling apart but the engine is smooth as silk.. it has been abused for many years.

I also have another JD that I bought last year..got it for $100 from another buddy..its a lawn tractor and i thought i burned him because it was alot bigger and nicer than my 180..but he said the transmission slips.. so i dropped it off a year ago at a repair shop and they said its going to need a new transmission. K46 is whats in it and from what i can tell they are all junk at some point..and expensive. I dont think its worth repairing but maybe.

If i had to buy one today i dont think i would look at the craftsman..due to Sears/Kmart probably not going to be around much longer.

My new criteria is going to be a serviceable transmission at least.. and a motor not made in china.

FWIW.. i am friends with a guy that works at a local gravely/polaris dealership.. i see some cherry 50s and 60s gravely riding mowers that are just in there for a belt or something minor.. they built them too well i think..

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Avoid Cub Cadet, and avoid Kohler. The newer Kohlers are all made in China. There are numerous horror stories about the Kohler Courage series of engines. Cub Cadets are just expensive MTD nightmares.

The Home Depot Deeres are decent machines for their price. Take care of it, and it will last a while.

FYI: The Kohler website says the 22-HP V-Twin Series 7000 used in the CC is "Engineered/Assembled" in the USA.

https://power.kohler.com/na-en/engines/product/kt715

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I am on borrowed time with my JD180 with the kawasaki engine. I bought it used from a friend for $125. The hood is busted and the deck is falling apart but the engine is smooth as silk.. it has been abused for many years.

I also have another JD that I bought last year..got it for $100 from another buddy..its a lawn tractor and i thought i burned him because it was alot bigger and nicer than my 180..but he said the transmission slips.. so i dropped it off a year ago at a repair shop and they said its going to need a new transmission. K46 is whats in it and from what i can tell they are all junk at some point..and expensive. I dont think its worth repairing but maybe.

If i had to buy one today i dont think i would look at the craftsman..due to Sears/Kmart probably not going to be around much longer.

My new criteria is going to be a serviceable transmission at least.. and a motor not made in china.

FWIW.. i am friends with a guy that works at a local gravely/polaris dealership.. i see some cherry 50s and 60s gravely riding mowers that are just in there for a belt or something minor.. they built them too well i think..

I'm still using a rear engine Snapper (33" deck) from 1998 with a Kohler OHV 14-HP engine as a mulcher on my 0.5 acre level lot. Paid $200 for it used about 6 years ago and it included the bagger attachment, etc. I've had to replace the three dry-rotted tires (both front tires, one rear tire) over the years but it starts on the first pull and is a tank. The old Snapper disc drive system (similar to the old Ariens rear engine riders as well) just works very well. I've only replace the disc once in all those years. I use only 100% gas (87 octane) w/Sta-bil and synthetic M1 oil. I also run the carb dry every time I use it. Engine never uses oil and I change it and the Purolator oil filter every other year (still looks clean).

The local Snapper dealer stopped selling them when they became too junkie. They just don't make them like they used to anymore (both Snapper and Ariens).

That "Ninji" blade works great as a mulcher. Grass, leaves, sticks, small animals like cats, etc.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

FYI: The Kohler website says the 22-HP V-Twin Series 7000 used in the CC is "Engineered/Assembled" in the USA.

https://power.kohler.com/na-en/engines/product/kt715

Yup, they are engineered and assembled in the USA, but with foreign made/lesser quality parts. Such a shame, because I love Kohler engines. My 2005 John Deere has a Command V-Twin (the older better made series) with 700+ hours and it doesn't burn a drop of oil.

That JD 180 should last awhile. The main problem with those are the stupid plastic hoods cracking and breaking. Other than that they are awesome mowers, and parts are still extremely easy to find. I'm not surprised the newer one with the K46 is having issues. The K46 is too light of a transmission for a lawn tractor in my opinion. Hills or towing will make it die even quicker. If your 180 needs any repairs, it would be a better investment to put a little money into it for upkeep compared to a new machine, it will last much longer. That same Kawasaki engine is used in many commercial walk behind mowers that see thousands of hours.

The Gravely tractors are really tough to kill. I have a 1971 C8 walkbehind with dual wheels. Heavy beast but built for commercial work, just like those riders.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
What ever you do, stay away from Wal-Mart mowers. I say this because I work at Wal-Mart and it's nothing personal towards them, but we constantly get returned mowers of the Murray and Yard Machine brand. We have sold a few $300 snapper pushmowers that seem to be doing good for lack of having been returned. The mowers we have don't even have 10 hours on the clock when they get brought back.

That has more to do with your average Wal-Mart shopper than the product. People know that they can buy a new mower at Wal-Mart, use it for 80 days, and then return it and get your money back. Then go buy a new one and start over again. Free lawn mower, yay!

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Steep hills and hydro transmissions don't mix well.

I'd suggest the AYP built, 42 inch Craftsman 6 speed LT2000. 19HP Platinum Briggs engine with oil filter, tight turn radius and cast iron front axle. Decent machine by todays standards I think.

I checked out one at the Sears Outlet, if my 2009 Craftsman Tractor wasn't running fine thats what I would get.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42inch-19...HMKDw#Imagezoom

That is first time I have heard hydros and hills don't work well. Wouldn't hills and belts be even worse?

That being said, My current craftsman is a belt drive. It hasn't given me any trouble and I have only replaced the belt once or twice over the years. It does slip going up the hills but only when the belt is ready for replacement.

The brakes are what slow you down on this machine. The brakes completely wore out last year and I just roll to a stop for everything. That combined with the fact that the blades stay on once they are turned on make this machine fairly unsafe but I have just been dealing with it.

That JD 180 should last awhile. The main problem with those are the stupid plastic hoods cracking and breaking. Other than that they are awesome mowers, and parts are still extremely easy to find. I'm not surprised the newer one with the K46 is having issues. The K46 is too light of a transmission for a lawn tractor in my opinion. Hills or towing will make it die even quicker. If your 180 needs any repairs, it would be a better investment to put a little money into it for upkeep compared to a new machine, it will last much longer. That same Kawasaki engine is used in many commercial walk behind mowers that see thousands of hours.

The Gravely tractors are really tough to kill. I have a 1971 C8 walkbehind with dual wheels. Heavy beast but built for commercial work, just like those riders.

The newer one with the bad transmission- the guy has a big hill to mow and he put chains on it..he weighs almost 300lbs. I think it lasted 2 seasons before it gave up.

I bought the 180 with a busted hood...it was duct taped together..i run it without the hood though. Cuts and does everything flawlessly just looks like a mad max mower.

I found a K46 on ebay..guy is selling them new for $360..so probably going to fix the newer one then im going to start looking for a gravely if these bite the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back