Shopping for new riding mower, John Deere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMC

So I am starting to look for a new riding lawn mower. I have a 1 acre yard with 6 trees and a small but steep hill. I have a 12 year old craftsman LT2000 that has had a pretty hard life. The brakes are gone, the frame is warped, the body is rusting, the seat is crumbling to pieces, the deck is crooked, the blades do not turn off with the lever anymore, the wiring for the headlights melted through, it isn't very easy to start and I think the valves need adjusting. I did what I can for it and she still runs but I think it is time for a new one.

I have done some pondering and I think I would like to upgrade a little with my next purchase. A more powerful engine, a hydrostatic transmission, a heavier frame and a stronger deck would be nice! I do use my lawnmower to mulch, bag, plug aerate and dethatch, all of which more power and a stronger machine would help with. I also want to get away from the belt driven tranny and those tiny break pads to stop. They always took a beating on my old machine and a hydro tranny would really be nice and should solve those wear issues. I would like to stay in the 42 to 46" deck size. My current machine is a 42" deck and that is fine for me.

My initial research has pointed me towards the John Deere D125 and the Cub Cadet Enduro LT46. Both have V-twin engines, hydrostatic transmissions and decent reputations and mostly positive reviews. The JD has a Briggs and Stratton engine, which I prefer, where the Cub is Kohler. The Cub though has an 11 gauge deck and 4 scalp wheels compared to the JD's 13 gauge deck and only 2 scalp wheels. Other than that, they are very similar in features and price. The JD comes with a rebate for a free dump cart right now, (worth $200) so that sweetens the deal a little bit.

I have never owned these brands before but people seem to love or hate both of them, depending on who you ask. The parts availability and after purchase support seems much better with John Deere but is just with my limited research. I am open to other brands and suggestions but would like to keep the price below $2k. Do not tell me to buy a commercial grade Exmark for $5k, I do not need or want it.

Here are some links, the home depot's website is better than the manufacturers website as far as listing specifications:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-D1...20986/300187012

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-XT1...-LT46/205617433

Any input or suggestions would be great!

To be honest, those aren't really built any stronger than a Craftsman. They're still just your basic homeowner grade riding mower. If you want something that's built better, I'd suggest stepping up to the X300 series. More expensive, but you're getting a much better machine.

Normally I would vote for the Deere - but I have a question: why do you think its a B&S engine? it says "JD OEM branded" which means its Chinese sourced - which gave me nothing but problems with my Toro snowblower and craftsman snowblower.

between that, and the thicker deck/more wheels - I'd be tempted to consider the CC.

Any Deere with a Kawasaki engine is golden!

Based on my personal experience, I'd look at Simplicity first, then John Deere. My parents and I made 3 bad purchases with cub cadets.

Most importantly, only buy from dealers. Not Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes they have different transmissions in the big box stores.

I have friends who have a Home Depot JD (AKA Homelite) and another has Husqvarna. Both are Hydrostatic, both have Kawasa V Twins, both about the same size deck.

The JD is ready for the junk heap, the engine runs perfectly, but the deck started looing it's paint in the first season and is now very rusty (and bent) it has also been plagued with electrical problems such as the seat switch and brake switch failiers that have left the mower stranded. It also tended to eat belts.

The Husky has had an equally hard (or harder life, dealing with rougher ground) but has not missed a beat. Only problem has been with the catcher tube blocking with wet grass.

Keep the comments coming. I'm in the market, too. I'm confused by all the brands and frankly some of these riding mowers in the lower price range at places like Home Depot look like junk. They are flimsy and I'm wondering if they'd hold up in my bumpy, hilly back yard. My wife has a lot of roses in pots which means a lot of maneuvering and stop and go. I'm just getting tired pushing my Honda commercial mower around. I've had several walk behind self propelled mowers and they evidently aren't made for a lot of stop and go and running around all the pots.

Quote:
I'd suggest stepping up to the X300 series.

+1
The 300 series JD have heavier frames, a regulated charging system
and the option of 4 wheel steer and a better seat.
Highly rated by Consumer Reports and are in the $3000 range.
But worth the extra money.

My 2¢

The problem with some of the "Big brands" that historically were only sold at dealers is that the model is cheapened for the big box stores. I ran into that with Honda mowers - I tried my local Honda dealer, who was actually listed on Honda's website as a lawn care dealer: they no longer carry mowers and sent me to Home Depot - where they primarily sell the cheaper models with steel decks and have limited product knowledge. bye-bye.

If your Craftsman mower gave you good service - it's possible that the JD at that price point will give you similar service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Normally I would vote for the Deere - but I have a question: why do you think its a B&S engine? it says "JD OEM branded" which means its Chinese sourced - which gave me nothing but problems with my Toro snowblower and craftsman snowblower.

between that, and the thicker deck/more wheels - I'd be tempted to consider the CC.

The CC with the V-Twin 22-HP Kohler engine at Home Depot seems like a decent mower as well.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

It takes some digging but it is mentioned a few places that the v-twin 20 hp engine comes from Briggs and Stratton. Also, if you look closely at the 20 hp v-twin from Brigg's website below and compare it to the pictures of the John Deere engine, they are identical except for the logos. Whether it is made in China or not, I don't know. All these mowers seem to come with the TuffTorq K46 transmission too. Takes some digging but they all mention it. I am not sure if they are any good, just mentioning it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/products/lawn-tractor/john-deere-d125-256911/overview/

I do like the thicker deck of Cub but when I Compared the two side by side in person, I couldn't tell much of a difference. I have also seen some mentioning of bolting on an extra set of scalp wheels to JD and other brands.

Also to dispel a potential myth, duing my research, I called my local JD dealer and asked if the mowers sold in Home Depot or big box stores were different from what the actual dealers have, the salesmen said "NO, they are the same, as long as the model number is the same. If you are unsure, compare the model number you are looking at in a store to what is on the John Deere website."

What ever you do, stay away from Wal-Mart mowers. I say this because I work at Wal-Mart and it's nothing personal towards them, but we constantly get returned mowers of the Murray and Yard Machine brand. We have sold a few $300 snapper pushmowers that seem to be doing good for lack of having been returned. The mowers we have don't even have 10 hours on the clock when they get brought back.

For your application, I would go for a Craftsman. Hard to beat the price/ warranty and with reasonable care, it will last 20 years.

Last edited:
When faced with the same decision, I went with the JD and have no regrets.
Green paint is expensive, but with that goes a dealer network and parts availability.
As has been said, true JD quality starts with the X series.
If you can't meet the pricepoint, try to get through the season and look during the winter. Generally Deere will run a sizable rebate on the X350 during the winter. Another option would be to look at used tractors. A used X series (or older) is still a better value than the lines sold at the box store, IMO.
If you go Deere, buy from a dealer. They are the same price. No reason not to.
If you still want to go box store grade new, go Craftsman or Husqvarna. You will probably save some cash and get comparable quality.

Navy- I would never consider buying a mower at Wal-Mart..... No thanks but thank you for confirming what I was thinking.

Lubener- I have been considering the idea of getting another craftsman. The mower I have now is over 12 years old and it has been trouble free nearly the whole time. The only early failure I with it was the poorly routed headlight wires. The fell onto the side of the block and melted through the first or second year I had it. They are mostly for decoration anyways so I never bothered to fix it. the Craftstman 20381 would be the model I am looking at and it is a few hundred cheaper than the JD and Cub Cadet. There is also the craftsman T7800 which would compare more directly to the JD I was looking at. That maybe another serious contender. Admittedly, I want to like the JD just for the name but I am much too pragmatic to let myself get all fan boyish and buy something simply because of the brand.

I can't speak to the quality of the John Deere box store mowers-I have no direct experience with them. I can speak to the quality of the John Deere X series tractors.

If I were in your shoes there's no question that I'd pass on the box store mowers and find a John Deere 300/400 series or newer X series. And before I'd purchase a brand new one I'd look at what the dealer has for used inventory, or even Craigslist.

Almost everyone in this area uses Deere equipment for their lawn and garden. Everything from zero turns to X300 series up to SCUTs and CUTs, along with a lot of older 300 and 400 series tractors. The 757 that I recently sold (only because I purchased an X738 at an auction) was just over 2,200 hours and still going strong.

There's a reason a 12 year old Craftsman mower has very little value, while a 17 year old John Deere 400 series is still in the $3,000-4,000 price range-the Deere simply holds up better over the long term and retains a lot of value. When I purchased my 757 back in 2009 (used) I paid $3,500 for it, and I sold it this spring for $2,600. So other than normal maintenance and one repair over the 8 years that I owned it, the 757 cost me $900. From that perspective it was far less expensive than even a box store mower, and far more trouble-free.

If you step up to the John Deere D140 you will get the four scalp wheels you desire, not to mention a wider 48" deck with three blades and a larger, more powerful engine. I purchased the D140 from a dealer two years ago. I was seeking the D130 with a 42" deck, but they offered me the D140 at the same price.

My dealer has been a joy to work with. Last year while chopping leaves a fire broke out under the machine, burning through the wiring harness. I called the dealer's parts department wanting to buy a new wiring harness, they transferred me to the service department who said they would be out the next day to pick up the mower. Another day later it was back with a new wiring harness installed at no charge. Can anyone here imagine such an outcome if dealing with a big box store?

I am very happy with my John Deere L111 with a B&S intek 20hp twin. It is a 42 inch mower and is a good quality mower for about $1,800 at a local Lowes, Home Depot etc. One doesn't need to spend more than that unless you are mowing commercially in my opinion. Ed

Craftsman and B&S have done well for me - I get the heavier versions with cast iron axles and they will have lots of grease fittings, and deck/blade flush ports to help it last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back