John Deere X570, 24hp Kawasaki FR730V, 48" deck

Truly at phase #1. Virginia relatives are moving and selling the lawn tractor above.
Assuming good-great maintenance, garage kept. BIL is a serious gardener who keeps up with things.
I don't know the year or Hobbs reading yet.
I'm reading websites and it seems to fit our needs.
A 42" Cub Cadet (Kohler 26hp) has mown the lawn adequately but we're clearing and enlarging the lawn.
It's good to read posts about pulling felled trees etc.
Blades and a snowblower are available attachments.

Does anyone here have any experience with JD X500 series tractors and accessories?
I know any machine is only as good as its maintenance but I'm looking for deeper facts and machine lore.

The gearbox(?) is fluid serviceable. People say it's quite stable for what it is.

I'm all ears. Thanks

Should I fluid film or hot oil this thing?

Biggest thing you can do with those to ensure longevity it to keep the cylinder and cylinder head cooling fins clean of debris. You'll need to take the covers off and blow the fins off once a year. Keep an eye out for oil weeps because they happen and then grass sticks to them and clogs the cooling fins. Once that happens, one of your cylinders will develop excessive heat and drop the seat for the exhaust valve out of the head casting.

X570s are a current model and have gone up in price thousands in the last few years.

24 hp Kawasaki 726cc
Front tires 15x6.5-8
Rear tires 24x12-12
Wheel base 51.2”
Weight with 48” deck 748 lbs
Warranty 4 years/500 hours

I own the same basic tractor only with power steering and a 54"deck and turf tires ( x580) Outstanding tractor! Mine is a 2020 model with around 75 hours on it. On my 580 the rear is servicable and I did so with new fluid and a filter with about 50 hours on the clock. Plenty of power and mows like a champ. I owned a Cub Cadet GT2550 previously and the Deere is a far superior product in comfort and cut. The old Cub would beat me to death when I mowed.

Truly at phase #1. Virginia relatives are moving and selling the lawn tractor above.
Assuming good-great maintenance, garage kept. BIL is a serious gardener who keeps up with things.
I don't know the year or Hobbs reading yet.
I'm reading websites and it seems to fit our needs.
A 42" Cub Cadet (Kohler 26hp) has mown the lawn adequately but we're clearing and enlarging the lawn.
It's good to read posts about pulling felled trees etc.
Blades and a snowblower are available attachments.

Does anyone here have any experience with JD X500 series tractors and accessories?
I know any machine is only as good as its maintenance but I'm looking for deeper facts and machine lore.

The gearbox(?) is fluid serviceable. People say it's quite stable for what it is.

I'm all ears. Thanks

Should I fluid film or hot oil this thing?
The X5 series is a really solid line up. The 570 has a K72 transmission thats pretty solid and easy to change the filter and fluid.
How many hours. Only downfall is the plastic hood, be careful not to crack or break it. Best way to open the hood is from the seat, gentle lift up on both sides and then get off the seat and open it the rest of the way. Seem to many people stand off to the side and pull up too hard in the middle and crack them.

Replace the standard light bulbs with some LEDs if you plan to do any snow removing or night work.

Deere will say use 10w-30. Kawasaki will say to use 10w-40. I've run 10w-30 and 0w-40 without any issues.

If you are going to use it in cold weather like pushing snow use 0-40. That's what I use in mine.
Change the tranny fluid with genuine JD fluid only.
That is a great machine. It will give you many many years of service with proper maintenance.

I have an X590 with 54" deck and 47" snow blower I bought in 2019. Has about 270 hours on it. Price has gone up over $2,000 since I bought mine. Cuts really nice with Gator blades. Mulching kit is so so. Also not impressed with the snow blower. Transmission is easy to service. I run 5W-30 in winter and 5W-40 in summer.

I have a X354 which seems similar to yours but a smaller engine, its been flawless. The 4 wheel steering is nice.

In hindsight though a zero turn is better imo, and if you need a real tractor, get a tractor.

My Dad has a 2007 X540 that has been flawless. Very nice unit. The X570 is a huge step up from what you are currently using.

I have an X590 with 54" deck and 47" snow blower I bought in 2019. Has about 270 hours on it. Price has gone up over $2,000 since I bought mine. Cuts really nice with Gator blades. Mulching kit is so so. Also not impressed with the snow blower. Transmission is easy to service. I run 5W-30 in winter and 5W-40 in summer.
How do you like the EFI? Does it start much better than the regular carb'd version? I'm looking at a X590 for my next upgrade but none of my front attachments will mount since they changed that in 2016.

I have a GT235 which seems to be around the same spot in the JD lineup but 20 years earlier. If it ever dies its replacement will be an X570. To me a garden tractor is all about the transmission, and the X570 has a decently hefty transmission IMO. Just make sure you change the fluid as recommended and don't lose the washer on the drain plug like I did.

The transaxle in my GT235 is a K71 while the X570 has a K72.

EDIT - the new X570's seem to have "no tool oil drain" which seems like it only does a partial change (just what is in the oil filter). Does anyone have experience with that ? What year is the tractor ? Maybe it's old enough not to have this.

Last edited:
I have a GT235 which seems to be around the same spot in the JD lineup but 20 years earlier. If it ever dies its replacement will be an X570. To me a garden tractor is all about the transmission, and the X570 has a decently hefty transmission IMO. Just make sure you change the fluid as recommended and don't lose the washer on the drain plug like I did.

The transaxle in my GT235 is a K71 while the X570 has a K72.

EDIT - the new X570's seem to have "no tool oil drain" which seems like it only does a partial change (just what is in the oil filter). Does anyone have experience with that ? What year is the tractor ? Maybe it's old enough not to have this.

The “no tool” oil change means that you can open the drain plug with your fingers.

The Kawasaki engines have a spin on oil filter.
Most guys use a #3614 or equivalent.

The no mess oil change system that changes the filter and half the oil can be found on Briggs engines.

How do you like the EFI? Does it start much better than the regular carb'd version? I'm looking at a X590 for my next upgrade but none of my front attachments will mount since they changed that in 2016.
I love it. Starts right up no matter the temp. Seems to use less fuel than my GT275 that I replaced. Power steering is really nice too. Also has hydraulic lift. I think JD may make an conversion coupler so you can use the older front attachments. Would have to check into that.

Last edited:
The “no tool” oil change means that you can open the drain plug with your fingers.

The Kawasaki engines have a spin on oil filter.
Most guys use a #3614 or equivalent.

The no mess oil change system that changes the filter and half the oil can be found on Briggs engines.
The 3614 won't fit on the X590. There is a piece of trim in the way so a filter that long wont fit. I use the 8172. Biggest I can fit on mine. Not sure about the other X series though.

The 3614 won't fit on the X590. There is a piece of trim in the way so a filter that long wont fit. I use the 8172. Biggest I can fit on mine. Not sure about the other X series though.

I cut away the plastic shroud on mine and was able to use a 3600. A PH16 is shorter and fatter than the 3600 with the same thread and gasket size. Just for fun, I put a Ph8A on my 726cc Kawasaki. It looks funny with such a big filter on a garden tractor, but the oil capacity increased from 2.2L with the dinky stock JD to 3L.

Back