New Mower, oil recommendations?

That's true in most liquid cooled engines. However in some air cooled engines, the oil temperature is not well controlled. It can clearly vary from 180 degrees on a cool day, to 270 degrees on a warm day. I purchased a Honda water pump to de-water my FL property prior to bringing in fill, and construction of my home. To my surprise, the first water pump lasted about 8 hours before the oil overheated and the connecting rod failed. The second water pump failed in a similar time frame. Both used the required 5W-30 oil purchased from the dealership.

The dealer was very apologetic and returned my money. But we did conclude that the oil was overheating and unable to protect the engine as used (Everglades, South Florida summer, in the stagnant air) I then purchased a Kawasaki water pump and used Mobil 1, 15W-50. That engine is still running, 21 years later, and sees irrigation and fire-hose duty.

Fast forward to Hurricane Francis and Jeanne. The generators were running, and a great many of them failed the first day. Hot, humid, stationary air, coupled with very high AC loads, led to the failures. Lawnmower Headquarters had a pile of broken engines that you would not believe. They started selling M1, 15W-50 to their generator users. Which solved the broken connecting rod problem.
All my lawn equipment and generator get 5w30 Synthetic. I live in Louisiana, so temps and humidity are about the same. Never had an engine failure even in 100-degree weather. My Generator is 15 years old with original filter and oil changes when I know Hurricane season is coming hard. The oil in it now is 2 years old. Generator doesn't have an hour meter on it but only gets run during storm outages. Last time was a couple of years ago and ran for a week straight on 2 houses and well pump. I just started it about a week ago as a storm knocked out electricity. The difference is Synthetic. We took my brothers generator which had SAE30 oil in his and it was black and rattling so I changed his to Synthetic as he doesn't change oil in anything he owns except his truck.

Mobil1 15w-50 on a 1995 Tecumseh 3.5 hp 20" mower. Hit rocks other stuff that stops the engine at full tilt. Runs great. Changed once annually.

So, a recently attained JD X570 w/48" deck and a Kawasaki FS730V (3 season use) would prefer Rotella 4 15W-40 over a 10W-30?
It's a recommended grade.
I'm the second owner. It's a 2017 and has 730 hours on it. Service records are being mailed to me (the OO says).

Frankenbrews are a "small engine no-no"?

I'll be asking about hydrostatic fluid drive (?) next. Is JD product necessary?

OK.
A gallon of Rotella 15W-40 4 (dino) was delivered yesterday, along with an air filter.
Since an OC calls for 2.2qt. I'm going to make up 6.4 ounces with some 5W-20.

I bought two filters, a Fram #FS3614 and a Wix #51348, locally.
The superior filtering of the Fram was pointed out by someone here.
Also, the 51348, which is longer than a 57305 (the most frequent hit on cross-reference charts) was recommended by a member.

I can't wait to change the oil.

Also, the maintenance records arrived and they're not too detailed. I guess it's sparky-poo time.

Last edited:
I use the same oil in my Honda mower as I do in the ‘02 Jag XKR; Mobil 1 0w-40.

I can’t quantify the mileage on the mower, except to say it’s been mowing a 1/2 acre twice a month for 9 years and before that a full acre for about 5 years. In my climate mowing is needed about 9 months a year. . I drain the oil yearly.

The Jag has been on the same oil for about 6 years and 70,000 miles.

So far both machines have no oil related issues.

Z

PS: I’m just too lazy to shop and stock a different oil just for the mower.

So, a recently attained JD X570 w/48" deck and a Kawasaki FS730V (3 season use) would prefer Rotella 4 15W-40 over a 10W-30?
It's a recommended grade.
I'm the second owner. It's a 2017 and has 730 hours on it. Service records are being mailed to me (the OO says).

Frankenbrews are a "small engine no-no"?

I'll be asking about hydrostatic fluid drive (?) next. Is JD product necessary?
Look for JD's J20C THF. Synthetic THFs will meet both J20C & J20D for cold weather operation.

What?...a JD product in a JD? What about BITOGers relentless odyssey to always find the 'plain Jane' (cheaper) alternative?

Really just kidding there, but don't such fluids fall into a very finite selection array from just a few producers?

Hey, if the JD hits the nail on the head, then I'll use it.

What?...a JD product in a JD? What about BITOGers relentless odyssey to always find the 'plain Jane' (cheaper) alternative?

Really just kidding there, but don't such fluids fall into a very finite selection array from just a few producers?

Hey, if the JD hits the nail on the head, then I'll use it.
Nothing wrong with the JD oil, it's pretty good oil. I just wouldn't pay more for it over other name brands. My local dealer used to have the JD fluids for a good price but now they are priced higher than many other options.

I just "Amazoned" it.
At $6.75 per qt and $26.29 per gallon, it seems competitively priced....now just check shipping.
This is JD "Hy-Gard". This has got to be correct. There can't be more than one?
They didn't come up as "Prime".

I just "Amazoned" it.
At $6.75 per qt and $26.29 per gallon, it seems competitively priced....now just check shipping.
This is JD "Hy-Gard". This has got to be correct. There can't be more than one?
They didn't come up as "Prime".
That will be over $100 at a JD store by the time you grab a handfull of key chains with little tractors on them and die cast toys.
Santa shops for stocking stuffers where JD equipment is sold too.

key chains with little tractors on them and die cast toys.
Santa shops for stocking stuffers where JD equipment is sold too.
Yeah, I popped into a JD dealer and was amazed by the toy department. I thought it was a little obnoxious.

I wasn't at all organized nor orientated. Knowing nothing, I asked the kid if regular gear oil would work in the transmission of the X570.
He said it'd be OK. I didn't know it calls for hydraulic fluid. I conclude the guy was dishonest.

Just got a Cub Cadet ZT1 and it got very little use this summer due to the heat and lack of grass growing. as I enter the first winterizing prep, i'm curious about oils. The previous mower didn't warrant much love from me (it was 15 yr old i inherited as i bought the house). I just used John Deere oil in it but I'm seeing recommendations for things like diesel oil like Rotella T6 in small engines. I was just gonna buy synthetic 10w-30 which the manual states SAE 30 and 10W-30 are both recommended. I'm wondering about the additives though. Cub Cadet makes oil but I'm always suspicious about whether that specific oil is any better. CC obviously isn't a refinery making oil, so it's rebranded oil made for them. maybe it's Supertech, or plain dino oil IDK.

thoughts?
If it's air cooled you want a stout oil. I've been running 10w-40 RP for years with no issues.

Back