Shaeffer's #132 w/Delvac 1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert but don't see a need for an additive to the already touted exceptional additive package of the Delvac 1. I use it in my V6 Tacoma, although I'm not towing as frequently as you. Why the concern that an additive is needed? This stuff is used in trucks that tow 80,000 lbs. There is an interesting article on additives on this site that you may or may not have viewed. I don't see any advantage in switching to a passenger car only 0/40 oil!

Since Delvac 1 is targeted for Diesels that have no need for Friction Modifiers, and since gas engine need FM's, I would use 4-6 oz. of 132 in Delvac 1 in a gas engine for friction modification.

Like everyone else I am searching for that "perfect oil" for my toyota with its specific needs, I have been using M1 15w-50 for couple yrs, but mpg suffers noticably over lower weights I have used in the past before towing. I just like moly in my oil, hehe. That is the reason for this inquiry. I think I am gonna go with the Delvac 1 w/shaeffer's #132. M1 0w-40 seems to thin pretty rapidly as seen on some of the uoa posts here. Thats my reasoning on going to The Delvac 1, it just doesn't have the moly I like in a oil. Thanks for your responses.

Would it be advisable to add #132 additive with Delvac 1 5-40 oil? My Toyota 2.4 4cyl 4X4 is used to tow a 1600 lb boat once a week(fishing habit), and also used for work, hauling 800+ lb loads couple times week. Or would I be better off switching to 0W-40 M1?? Motor has 38,000 on factory rebuild.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Since Delvac 1 is targeted for Diesels that have no need for Friction Modifiers, and since gas engine need FM's, I would use 4-6 oz. of 132 in Delvac 1 in a gas engine for friction modification.

I just don't understand what exactly is not in Delvac that needs to be compensated for. If Delvac has a good base oil, additives to include Moly and is also rated SL, shouldn't it have all the FM's it needs?

Perhaps I should do a search on FM's to get a refresher on what makes gas engine oils so much better. Cheaper gas engine oils actually look poor compared to Delvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back