Sell Accord For A Wrangler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Suzuki Samurai in good shape and buy that outright.
16 K for a 2012 maybe ok 20K forget it. I was looking at NEW for 22. a couple years ago

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Wranglers are overpriced, overvalued, and under delivers. That said, get rid of that accord because it is about refined as a 1980s Tercel.

At least you're half right. The Accord has been named to Car and Driver's annual 10 best automobiles list (see 2009) more times than any other model in the past 40 years. Number of times a Tercel was on the list: none.

Do you actually want to off road it a bit? If so, you'll put up with its drawbacks. If its just going to be a pavement crawler that you can take the roof off once in a while, then maybe get an old one or just a convertible.
An old miata is nice, you can put the top up and down from the drivers seat, with one hand in 10 seconds... Jeep tops aren't so easy to use.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you actually want to off road it a bit? If so, you'll put up with its drawbacks. If its just going to be a pavement crawler that you can take the roof off once in a while, then maybe get an old one or just a convertible.
An old miata is nice, you can put the top up and down from the drivers seat, with one hand in 10 seconds... Jeep tops aren't so easy to use.

The small amount of off road driving will be mild.

The Wrangler is mostly to be used as a convertible in the summer and take advantage of the 4WD in the winter.

95% of the drive time will be pavement.

The downfall with asking this on here is you are going to get most of the opinions from people who have never considered a Jeep or driven one in the past 15 years. It is a lifestyle change for you. Most dealerships will allow you to take it home overnight to drive it around more than your standard test drive. Go drive it.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

The Wrangler is mostly to be used as a convertible in the summer and take advantage of the 4WD in the winter.

I spend a fair amount of time jawing with the off-road guys (I like bumming around but would never spend my money on it) and based on your intended use, I would say to pass on the Wrangler... or at least as a only-vehicle DD. It is an acquired taste and unless you are all-about off-roading, then it is a big investment in a vehicle that really punishes you for its (complete lack of) road handing. It is not a top-down highway cruiser. It is not just SUV sloppy... it is its own "Jeep thing" which would be about as bad as a commuter vehicle as you can get.

What you should do is consider a used Wrangler as a second vehicle that can give you some fun when you want but also have the accord as a DD when you have to be "normal". You can find decent Jeeps for decent prices without going whole-hog... and if it is not for you, then you can sell it without as much of a hit. If you love it, then trade in both the old jeep and accord for a new jeep.

I replaced 2000 Century with a 2016 Rubicon, so far so good. It was something I always wanted and went for it. No regrets.

Again, I drive a TJ, but here's my acquisition and ownership story:

Back in 2002 I was facing a contested election; I needed a parade car that could also be used to defuse a possible line of attack from my opponent(at the time I owned a BMW 3 Series, a 5 Series, and a Nissan Pathfinder, and a fair percentage of my district's voters were UAW members).
So... I picked up a one owner five speed 1999 Wrangler Sahara in May from a friend's dealership, fully intending to sell it as soon as the election was over.
Fast forward six months; I won the election but my six year old son, my wife, and I had all grown extremely fond of the Jeep. We ended up selling the Pathfinder instead. I used it as my daily driver from 2002 to 2007, at which time I retired it from daily use and now just drive it for fun. I've fitted Bilstein HDs, Hella E-Code headlamps, and MB Quart speakers- along with a Bestop Sailcloth top. I'm fully retired -for now- and I still look for excuses to drive it at least a couple of times per week. I am never selling it- the Jeep and the ti will remain in my garage until my son inherits them.
thumbsup2.gif

And as I said above, the only thing I'd consider replacing it with would be a two door JK.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The Wrangler's part time 4x4 system isn't as good as an AWD system in the slippery parts of snow. I have the same exact 4WD system in my cherokee and I prefer my front driver with snow tires.

Unless we get feet ... then I take the Jeep

My Cherokee 4wd couldn't make it up my driveway in the winter in about 5" of snow where the wifes Impreza could easily. The driveway was dirt at the time ( I live atop steep hill in a log cabin next to the State Forest) In fact trying to get up I got axle tramp and it snapped a lower locating arm off the unibody.

The new jeeps look WAY refined compared to the older ones. I did like driving my old GF's CJ Laredo around town. Sort of a small 6 cyl truck experience. The new ones lost the cool flat metal dash and that was it for me.

I did briefly considered a new base jeep a couple years ago with a MT ( 6 speed?). The shifter boot was so tight it would pull the shifter out of gear. I said to myself, 'this portends of bad quality all over", so, bye bye.

Last edited:
Definitely drive one in a few different configurations and see how you like it. I'd love to have a Wrangler for the summer, but they don't have much room to haul stuff. Having no doors or top during the summer also means leaving nothing in your vehicle because it WILL walk away.

My friend also had an odd experience with people throwing trash into his jeep when it was parked with the top off. Not really sure on that one.
crazy.gif

The main thing that discourages me about Wranglers is the price. They hold their value. I still see rusted out ones for 6 grand around here. $20k for a 5 year old vehicle is not a bargain, especially if you live in an area where salt is common. Like Miller88 said, Jeeps are usually pretty reliable. They start needing things when they get old, when they are off road often, or usually when the owners get the itch to modify them.

Your Accord sounds like a solid daily driver vehicle. Maybe get a bit older Wrangler as a second vehicle for snow and sunny days to try out? Worse case scenario the fun wears off and you could sell it for not much less since they hold their value.

I hear you. Always wanted a Wrangler but could never justify buying one. The day I was diagnosed with cancer, I told my wife I was buying one, and I did. I loved mine. Having said that, in the end it wasn't a practical vehicle for us. The 3.8 in ours left a lot to be desired. The need to haul things complicated matters. Can'the speak to the improved performance with the Pentastar. I can tell you that the resell value was better than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back