Carmax tomorrow

Around here the new car dealers add on paint and fabric protection, nitrogen in the tires, VIN etching, Lojack and other crap to their used cars that they don't advertise on the website. I see why people don't want to waste their time with these antics, and that's what makes Carmax appealing to them.
I have a compressor in my garage that can fill tires with almost 80% nitrogen, which is close enough for me. I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon such a device.

Around here the new car dealers add on paint and fabric protection, nitrogen in the tires, VIN etching, Lojack and other crap to their used cars that they don't advertise on the website. I see why people don't want to waste their time with these antics, and that's what makes Carmax appealing to them.
So overpaying at one place is no good but bulk overpaying at Carmax is ok? At least you get some glass etch or other stupid thing at the dealer… not just shell out extra because they said so.

So overpaying at one place is no good but bulk overpaying at Carmax is ok? At least you get some glass etch or other stupid thing at the dealer… not just shell out extra because they said so.
Look my friend. WE get it.You don't like Carmax. Let's move on. It's becoming repetitious now.

Look my friend. WE get it.You don't like Carmax. Let's move on. It's becoming repetitious now.
It’s not a matter of liking Carmax or not. It’s a matter of why won’t someone just go pay retail anywhere? Sure Carmax provides no redeeming value to me. But my point is, you can go anywhere and pay retail with no haggle or hassle.

When I was looking for a larger sedan back in 2007, I came across the LS400 at Carmax.

It was priced within what I was willing to pay and as a plus it only had 36k miles. I drove the 90 miles to take a look at it. Ended up test driving it and we drove it home that day. Financing was reasonable; interest came out to $750 over asking price for the loan term.

Up until the past few years, this car has been totally trouble-free. Like most Asian imports, electric issues are starting to show up. The only PITA thing that has cropped up is the fuel gauge issue.

20220803_191450_cropped_resized_annotated.jpg

When I was looking for a Highlander last year, I went to Carmax to "try some on for size" simply because they have inventory.

Up until the past few years, this car has been totally trouble-free. Like most Asian imports, electric issues are starting to show up. The only PITA thing that has cropped up is the fuel gauge issue.

View attachment 203162

The fuel level sending unit replacement is a 15 minute job through the trunk. The sensor is shown in the video below at the 4:30 mark as the shiny silver disc located in trunk behind the middle of the back seat.

It’s not a matter of liking Carmax or not. It’s a matter of why won’t someone just go pay retail anywhere? Sure Carmax provides no redeeming value to me. But my point is, you can go anywhere and pay retail with no haggle or hassle.
The refund/return policy and optional extra generous aftermarket warranty is probably what makes it enticing.

I could go into a regular used car lot, and once the ink dries, that babys problems, even with a ppi, are no longer the dealers concerns.

The fuel level sending unit replacement is a 15 minute job through the trunk. The sensor is shown in the video below at the 4:30 mark as the shiny silver disc located in trunk behind the middle of the back seat.

Already accessed the sending unit; diagnosed and results indicate it's the gauge that's at fault. Replaced the sender just because I had a new one on the shelf. Working inside a trunk is the second place I don't like working on stuff.

I haven't gotten around to the fuel gauge replacement. Dashboard work is the first place I don't like working on. I've been using the "distance to empty" as an indicator of when to refuel, which gives about a 5 gallon safety margin considering it's based on consumption of the last tankful.

Back