self defense gun at home for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get her a revolver and a dog. Have her practice with both. You agree to take the one she rejects...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not exact science … but I have a super six with both cylinders … found an old rotted down camp in the woods … shot a toilet bowl six times with LR = six grey stripes down the side.
One shot with the .22 mag … (in middle of stripes) = bowl split in two.

They now have Gold Dot in .22 Magnum.

20 gauge Mossberg pump, 18-20” barrel. Nothing better than a shotgun to make the boogie man go away. On the other hand if she doesn’t go out and shoot a few times don’t bother because it’s more dangerous to have it not be able to use it and not having it at all. #4 Buckshot is just ideal for small areas And if it works for the Bureau of prisons when they’re in it’ll work just fine on their charges well they’re out roaming between bouts of doing time. The smaller buckshot is also very unlikely to go through a few walls and kill a neighbor like double lot for a slug .
Load the tube on the shotgun make sure that the triggers already been pulled and an empty chamber and leave that Safety off. Believe me if Bubba is rummaging around in the living room and he hears that shotgun sound racking in the bedroom he’s not going to come through the door. If by some reason by the miracle of modern pharmaceuticals he does decide to come through the door he’ll go back through it in pieces ,problem solved. Leaving the safety off and trigger already pulled make sure there’s not gonna be confusion when the moment comes . The gun is plenty Safe in that configuration unless you get kids roaming around .
Practice a couple times a year is extremely important. If she’s not willing to do that I wouldn’t bother getting one.

Wife has her own firearm. I'm almost certain she will not even think about grabbing when needed. I worry about that.

Last edited:
The best first step is to see if she would go to a womans only training class. I have watched many at the range I go to and the women suck up the information like sponges . They are serious and focused. When they start the shooting part of the class they realize that it is fun .

The best first step is to see if she would go to a womans only training class. I have watched many at the range I go to and the women suck up the information like sponges . They are serious and focused. When they start the shooting part of the class they realize that it is fun .

Hope she doesn't have kids. They're more likely to use the gun vs any self defense situation.

A person who isn't comfortable with guns, has never felt the need to own one...
what could possibly go wrong?

She needs to be comfortable with it.

I mentored a petite woman who settled on a .38 revolver with "reduced recoil" loads.... because that is what she felt comfortable shooting. So be it.

Contrarily, a friend of mine's wife is 58, 5'3" and 115 lbs....

her favorite pistol is a 6" .44 Mag revolver. Go figure.

Every woman I've ever seen shooting hand guns could shoot a 38 Special with and factory load that wasn't P+ after a short time they did P+ with no effort. My wife is 5'1" and has a S&W Model 60. She shoots it very well. She has arthritis her hands won't deal with pulling back a slide on a semi-automatic. She has the 38 down pat and she was shooting small groups with it the first time at the range.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Every woman I've ever seen shooting hand guns could shoot a 38 Special with and factory load that wasn't P+ after a short time they did P+ with no effort. My wife is 5'1" and has a S&W Model 60. She shoots it very well. She has arthritis her hands won't deal with pulling back a slide on a semi-automatic. She has the 38 down pat and she was shooting small groups with it the first time at the range.

Good info. My sister is a similar build. Our family was very comfortable around guns, but she never liked shooting anything other than a .22 rifle due to recoil, hand pain etc. The problem is that she has small hands. A 22 revolver or 22 Ruger might be something she is interested in, and the women-oriented gun training is an excellent idea.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
She needs to be comfortable with it.

I mentored a petite woman who settled on a .38 revolver with "reduced recoil" loads.... because that is what she felt comfortable shooting. So be it.

Good suggestion.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You have to realize that some people are so passive that they would rather be stabbed to death than to pick up a gun and defend themselves. I’m not sure if that describes your sister but it’s something to be aware of. You have to realize that the person IS the weapon, and the gun is just a tool. People need skills, willingness, and ability to successfully defend themselves with a firearm. If she is not willing to get some training, or not even willing to actually shoot someone than the gun is a liability and can even be taken and used against her.

That being said, I’d take her to the gun range with a Ruger 10/22 rifle several times and let her blast through a couple bricks of .22LR. If she quits right there and doesn’t want to go any further, the 10/22 is a good home defense weapon for a person that won’t seek out any more training. Slap a 25 round mag in it and be done.

I agree. If she is willing to learn, you need to decide how mechanically inclined she is. Some people are , some are not. Does not mean anything bad. But if not mechanically inclined, they may have difficulty with semi autos, not knowing if the chamber is hot or if its REALLY empty( I.E. racking the slide, then taking the mag out and THINKING it's unloaded).

For those not mechanically inclined a revolver is a better choice.

I agree on the attitude to defend yourself. Sometimes that changes when children come into the picture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Good info. My sister is a similar build. Our family was very comfortable around guns, but she never liked shooting anything other than a .22 rifle due to recoil, hand pain etc. The problem is that she has small hands. A 22 revolver or 22 Ruger might be something she is interested in, and the women-oriented gun training is an excellent idea.

We have a Keltec P32 and Glock42 .380. Several small women have shot both with no complaints.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Taurus Judge

Seriously!!??

A big mutant revolver with heavy recoil as a first gun for a female non-shooter?

Why not a .44 Mag? Something that won’t fit her hands and is guaranteed to be difficult for her to shoot.

Great way to intimidate her into hating guns...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Taurus Judge

Seriously!!??

A big mutant revolver with heavy recoil as a first gun for a female non-shooter?

Why not a .44 Mag? Something that won’t fit her hands and is guaranteed to be difficult for her to shoot.

Great way to intimidate her into hating guns...
I think it was a 'tongue in cheek' reply by Marco

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Get her comfortable around guns. If she can’t get comfortable, abandon the idea.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The worst thing you can do is push a gun on a woman who doesn't like, want, or is able to accept them. The results will never be favorable. All you will receive is a bad attitude and resistance for your efforts. And if she doesn't want to accept the lethality of the tool she's carrying, the worst thing you can do is push or force it on her. There are already too many people who want to carry weapons, and shouldn't. The last thing people should be trying to do is promote it to people who don't want it.

I'll add on to that. If she is not accepting of the idea of a firearm, pushing one on her is going to cause resentment that will be manifest in some way, shape or form. She's never going to learn how to it functions, how to operate it safely, and practice with it. That translates into a dust collector that will be put out of sight and out of mind. There are people who are truly afraid of firearms, whether from media perception, or bad experience, or any number of reasons . . . just like folks who are afraid of spiders, or snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back