Guns For Wives

My wife is not a gun enthusiast , but is not opposed to guns. She has shot with me at the range. She does not mind shooting my walther p22.

She works from home, takes internet phone calls, and wears headphones as part of her job. She has a 1 hr break and usually spends that with our small dog outside.

Our home is a bit off the road, not very visible to others ( woods on all four sides), you could kick in our front or back door and no one would notice. There will be several town homes and a development build very close to us soon, so it will be noticeable that our house is there, but not out in the open, I.E. a target.

I'm trying to get her to entertain the idea of keeping a pistol on her side during the day, so that its always with her. She does keep one in her little home office, but its not with her as she moves about the house or goes outside.

We are going to the range this week, but i dont think she is going to like shooting much more that my walther p22.

I'm thinking about getting her a Walther PPQ 22. It has no safety and if she gets really used to it , maybe i could move her up to the Walther PPQ in 9mm.
That way the 9mm would be the same size and feel as the .22.

Thoughts ?

Not familiar with Walther but if its a similar platform that she's already comfortable with then it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I usually recommend an LCP for an every day carry but with that said, it's not my first choice for myself. If something goes down I would absolutely grab my Ruger SR9 over the LCP but it's next to impossible to conceal on a person my size.

Not familiar with Walther but if its a similar platform that she's already comfortable with then it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I usually recommend an LCP for an every day carry but with that said, it's not my first choice for myself. If something goes down I would absolutely grab my Ruger SR9 over the LCP but it's next to impossible to conceal on a person my size.
I have an LCP as you know, being small and light its got a bit of recoil. She does not like shooting it. I don't think she will like my springfield RDP either, at least until she gets more shooting time.

I have an LCP as you know, being small and light its got a bit of recoil. She does not like shooting it. I don't think she will like my springfield RDP either, at least until she gets more shooting time.
That's exactly my complaint with it as well. It's too light for the punch it packs. I have never felt 100% "comfortable" with mine.

My wife is not a gun enthusiast , but is not opposed to guns. She has shot with me at the range. She does not mind shooting my walther p22.

She works from home, takes internet phone calls, and wears headphones as part of her job. She has a 1 hr break and usually spends that with our small dog outside.

Our home is a bit off the road, not very visible to others ( woods on all four sides), you could kick in our front or back door and no one would notice. There will be several town homes and a development build very close to us soon, so it will be noticeable that our house is there, but not out in the open, I.E. a target.

I'm trying to get her to entertain the idea of keeping a pistol on her side during the day, so that its always with her. She does keep one in her little home office, but its not with her as she moves about the house or goes outside.

We are going to the range this week, but i dont think she is going to like shooting much more that my walther p22.

I'm thinking about getting her a Walther PPQ 22. It has no safety and if she gets really used to it , maybe i could move her up to the Walther PPQ in 9mm.

Thoughts ?
What specifically does she like or not like about shooting? Or is the objection not about shooting per se, rather about carrying the weapon?

Guessing, if it's recoil and/or noise, or the inconvenience of a relatively larger sidearm, another option might be something like the J-frame S&W like the Lady Smith

with the low-recoil defense rounds this might be more agreeable than a 9mm, perhaps even perceived as less complex and easier to use.

I know they are not real popular anymore and the numbers don't look a real lot better than a .22, but it might be worth looking at .25ACP as well.

I'm not the first person to observe that the best gun is the one you like because you're more likely to have it on you when you need it.

What specifically does she like or not like about shooting? Or is the objection not about shooting per se, rather about carrying the weapon?

Guessing, if it's recoil and/or noise, or the inconvenience of a relatively larger sidearm, another option might be something like the J-frame S&W like the Lady Smith

with the low-recoil defense rounds this might be more agreeable than a 9mm, perhaps even perceived as less complex and easier to use.

I know they are not real popular anymore and the numbers don't look a real lot better than a .22, but it might be worth looking at .25ACP as well.

I'm not the first person to observe that the best gun is the one you like because you're more likely to have it on you when you need it.
She is just not wild about having it on her side. I'm not pushing it. But i would feel more comfortable.

Don't go with anything as small and light as the LCP. It is too small. It is too light. It will have too snappy recoil and turn her off. The S&W EZ series, in 9mm or .380 is enough larger and heavier to be better controlled and less likely to turn her off. But it isn't heavy so it shouldn't be objectionable. Good luck.

Thoughts ?
The Walther P22 is a great gun ! My wife has one . She will not carry but it is in the house loaded . The 22 is a lot more accurate for a woman than a 9mm . More shots with good placement is better than a gun she can’t handle. Maybe look at the Ruger Security 380 . It comes with a manual safety and a fiber optic front sight. Less kick than a 9mm . For ammo check out the Federal Punch 22 it performs well for a small caliber. 22 plinkster on YouTube has a good review.

I’m a little shy about .22 for self defense, I know a lot of people like it. If she has experience shooting I would get her an LCP II in .380. I have not looked at Rutgers in a while but I think they have a “light rack” version/model pistol for people with small hands.

Sounds like its time to move.
No, it's never the wrong time to be more proactive about personal safety. The OP is right to be concerned for her and is approaching the situation with care.

It might be a good time for husband to step away from this and get her into some woman's firearms classes if possible where she can learn from an instructor. Thank goodness you didn't buy her an LCP because it's a little woman's gun and call it a day like my BIL did for my sister. She won't even shoot it. She was scared of my big bad Glock 19 until she shot it, it took 1 mag and a little coaching and she was hitting center mass and becoming comfortable.

You're on the right track, move her up in recoil slowly. Shoot the P22 as much as she will to get comfortable. If she likes the P22 maybe she should have her own instead of shooting yours. The fact that she has a handgun at her desk is a good start.

If she has experience shooting I would get her an LCP II in .380.
I have a LCP and she has shot it. The recoil on the LCP is worse that the .38 Special in the LCR. I have shot some full power .357 Mags in the LCR...those turn it into a handful!

Her best friend has been dating a guy the last several years. He is a certified firearms instructor and owns a gun shop. We have a great private place to go shooting in the Loess Hills. He brings probably 15 different guns to shoot and let people try out. His were the first firearms that I ever shot with a suppressor.

Back