Samsung appliances - yay or nay?

We are looking to buy a new refrigerator and dishwasher in stainless steel (hoping to catch a good black friday deal). I was planning to go with a whirlpool but after spending sometime at home depot, lowes and best buy my wife feel in love with Samsung bespoke refrigerated and dishwasher (I can't lie they do look nice and slick) but I am afraid that Samsung is not really reliable? Does anyone here have a samsung bespoke product or other samsung appliances, can you share you experience?

What brands would you recommend?

Also any difference buying from Home Depot, Lowes or Best Buy?

Last edited:
We have a Samsung dishwasher that has done a great job for us going on 4 years now. We have a local scratch and dent appliance store that I picked it up from for about 60% the cost from HD. The only thing that was wrong with it was the stainless was a little scuffed on the front, minor enough you can't even see it once installed. Still had the factory warranty. Unless what you're putting in it is absolutely glued to the dishes, it will get them clean. It's also quite quiet when running.

I didn't specifically seek out the brand when buying, they just happened to have it and I recognized it as being a deal, so that's what we got.

Our Samsung clothes washer has been solid as well, have had it since 2018, and it gets used daily.

I would not. I bought a Samsung wall oven microwave combo unit 6 years ago. It was supposed to be an upper end unit. I repaired it twice myself. One wire burned due to insulation crimped in the connection. A circuit board replaced. I had a failure and had Samsung diagnose it as the main control circuit board. None available, no estimated time for part availability, could be 6 months.

I said screw it, I bought a KitchenAid double oven and replaced it. This was this past Sept.

I had issues with the Samsung refrigerator, I had the ice maker and ice maker circuit board replaced, they did it at no cost due to a class action suit.

No more Samsung for me

Last edited:
Well I don't have a samsung refrigerator but we do have a samsung washer and dryer. There 8 years old and we have teanage girls - well one is 20 now. To say they likely haven't shut off since we put them in 8 years ago isn't far from the truth. The washer has had no problems. The dryer burnt out the heater (it got a penny in it - so not its fault) and wore out one of the drum rollers. I replaced both myself fairly easily.

One thing I have found is that when buying a appliance part if you find a list of all the appliances that part fits - its just about every brand. For example - the heating element I bought off amazon for the dryer had a list of dryers it fit - there must have been 200 on it - from all different brands. So I think most of these appliance makers - at least in the big box store end, just bend the sheet metal and assemble - and use the same core components as everyone else. Just a guess.

Look at it this way. If the wife chooses it and it sucks, well PIB. If you choose it and it suck you will never hear the end. Let your wife choose.

I just did a lot of searching on this subject. Samsung service seemed to be lacking. Getting parts when something does break seems to be difficult. GE is the only company that provides their own service. This was regarding a washing machine so im not sure if it applies to all.

I just did a lot of searching on this subject. Samsung service seemed to be lacking. Getting parts when something does break seems to be difficult. GE is the only company that provides their own service. This was regarding a washing machine so im not sure if it applies to all.
GE appliances are owned by Haier - Chinese brand - acquired in 2016. I assume they also own GE service then - but couldn't say that for sure.

Got a Samsung refrigerator, washer and dryer in 2018, still doing exactly what they're supposed to do with zero problems. Certainly not bespoke models, likely the opposite end of the scale. Seems like wife did due dilligence checking ratings etc. Not scared.

Just looked and the fridge and dryer were Hecho en Mexico and the dryer came from Thailand if anyone's interested.

Whirlpool made appliances (Maytag, Kenmore, JennAir, Amana, others) have the best parts network and parts are widely available. Their appliances, for the most part, are very good in my experience with them. I would avoid Samsung and LG.
You will pardon me if I find it amusing that you like Korean cars but dislike Korean appliances. I find this humorous for no reason in particular.

We have Whirlpool line of refrigerators (Kitchenaid, Maytag, Whirlpool) in 5 houses I maintain. Have continued with them because we got 12-14 years out of the previous Whirlpool line. I was able to get decent pricing when I needed them.

For dishwashers, we will be going with Bosch. I have a Bosch Ascenta that is 7 yrs old and does great. It was a model that Lowe's had at the time. It was the midgrade Bosch. If you read Consumer Reports, you can see that the Bosch midgrade lines do as well or better than the top line series. I anticipate having to replace two dishwashers in the next two years, and they will be Bosch.

A couple of weeks ago, BITOG had a discussion of dishwashers and there are more up to date details on Bosch vs Miele and others. I don't have time to find the discussion, but it is available for additional insights.

Back