LG appliances & repairs

I was just talking to a friend a couple of days ago and her 3 year old LG side by side counter depth refrigerator failed. And she was looking at at least $400 for the repair. She was never happy with it, said it was extremely noisy. This is of course one reason that I hate open floor plan combination kitchens/family rooms, the noise from appliances can be annoying when trying to watch TV for example.

Anyway, after a little research she settled on a new Bosch refrigerator, partially because it had a low noise level rating. And it cost over $4200 and she was lucky to find one in stock. Most places were quoting January or February for delivery.

It is shameful that refrigerators that can easily cost $1500 these days are lucky to last more than a few years without needing major repairs. I'd stay away from LG.

Chris, this is a forum. It is a meeting of differing opinions on a topic. We are NOT meant to agree. Simply a meeting place where differing opinions and occasionally sage advice is shared. Nothing more.
Geez, I’m so overbearing at times. Please forgive me.

40 + years in appliance parts business. LG & Samsung appliances parts difficult to get. Don’t use parts distributors like other brands, Whirlpool,GE, Electrolux. Lack service network. Most independent repair men don’t work on them due to lack of training & parts availability.
I buy Whirlpool built, which includes Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn Air, Roper. Parts distributor in most cities, Even Amazon & Walmart.com. And factory trained service network nationwide.

This matches exactly what I have been told by three different independent repairmen.
In the worst of the current supply chain mess when I had my Whirlpool freezer go down, I had the part at my house the next day.
Only delay was travel time.

I don’t believe they are a terrible brand. Buy on price , features, budget(cash in hand) and any semblance of reliability you can find. No wrong answers. Good luck!

They are supposed to be non partisan. They are about as non partisan as "The View" TV show or CNN. They only tell one side of the story.

That's because their ratings are based on anecdotal information from their readers/subscribers.
The bias runs thick/deep on many of their recommendations for that reason alone.
Yes, I subscribe to the magazine. Will I consider their recommendations?
Yes, but only for what they are. I'll utilize other data points as well.

As we mentioned Consumer Reports I have found them useful directionally, but often don't agree with their priorities. Some of feature/criteria are more important than others to me. Their ranking is derived from their priorities NOT necessarily mine. Often find myself on a difference page so useful for developing a short list, but not an absolute "number one" is the "best to buy" when shopping. As long as you recognize this, agreed they are a good informational resource.

todays appliances ARE a crap shoot BUT the KISS keep it simple stupid applies!! girlfriends gently used front load whirlpool gave up in only 5 years, one load a week usually, $500 for a control module!! replaced with a simpler whirlpool for LESS than the PART!! my older than her whirlpool is hangin in ours were both belt drive a plus, good luck!!
The 1984 gas dryer that came with the house is still going. This year, the belt snapped. It had been opened before because packaging tape held the bottom piece on, so likely the original owner replaced it before 2002, which is when I moved in. When I watch YouTube, people who repair appliances seem to say seek out appliances that have this same appearance--knobs, the lint filter is on top and it slides in, the loading is in the front, etc. I happen to live in a 1952 house, so the doors are only so wide (27"). Not everything fits through them. But what I would get, knock on wood if I had to but I hope I don't for a very long time, are a set of Maytag Commercials made for home. Not cheap. But they were taken apart on YouTube to see if there was anything to them. In other words, what one really wants is what could be at a laundromat.

The sexiness lies in the fact that they last (if they do, I don't know but what I found online seemed positive):

speed queen is a reliable washer and dryers,well made and repairable,,however not large capacity,whirlpool makes nice kitchen appliances,depending modle

Whirlpool, GE and Frigidaire have an extensive parts and service network, they're easy to buy parts and get service info for. LG and Samsung are really struggling in that area.

That's the knock on the Korean brands, and for really little excuse, given how long they've been in the market, and all the years they've had to improve in that respect.

That said, I do own an LG microwave, because it was the most appealing option, but if it craps out, it's not going to spoil a bunch of food, or leak water all over the floor, so the stakes are much lower.

That's the knock on the Korean brands, and for really little excuse, given how long they've been in the market, and all the years they've had to improve in that respect.

That said, I do own an LG microwave, because it was the most appealing option, but if it craps out, it's not going to spoil a bunch of food, or leak water all over the floor, so the stakes are much lower.

Microwaves are throwaway items, not worth fixing. But if you're dropping $3k for a refrigerator or $1k on a dishwasher or range, you're going to want service and parts support.

Microwaves are throwaway items, not worth fixing. But if you're dropping $3k for a refrigerator or $1k on a dishwasher or range, you're going to want service and parts support.

Depressingly so. I replaced a 20-year old Sharp, still functional but too small. and what's offered on the market now doesn't compare to before. More cheap and chintz.

The 50-year old Kenmore (Whirlpool) dryer was replaced with another tried-and-true Whirlpool, basically the same classic top-loading lint filter design from back then, with different cosmetics. A lot of the parts are still shared between them. Easy to work on, and readily available parts. It only had to be replaced because one of the components in the electromechanical control panel was NLA.

I'd say South Korea is pretty far down our list of enemies lol.
Not in that sense - but they have been caught dumping - KORUS has only helped them - and they did make parts in NK …
The other (cleaner) advantage is Koreans are loyal to their stuff - Americans ? Not so much …
When I lived there (2 years) - Replaced a Samsung fridge and repaired an LG dryer in a fairly new apartment …
Sister/BiL had poor LG runs and went back to Whirlpool MCT - our MCT = no issues in 10 years of HD use …

We bought GE washer & dryer at Lowes. BLACKFRIDAY discount prices.

A few things drove the decision:

1) Disorganized service of a LG appliances.
2) Automatic detergent dispenser. You add a few QTs and it adds proper amount to each wash.
3) The GE was shorter front to back. The washer machine room is a little cramped.

Lowes must have 15 washers on display. Ten were LG and then one or two machines from other brands. One GE and it was not the model we wanted. One step below.

This would be laundry.
We have a set of LG front load washer and dryer that is 10 years old, family of 4 with 2 kids in football/soccer/baseball/cheer etc. They have seen a good bit of use. Only problem has been with the dryer, the control board went out in it a couple years ago, I troubleshot & replaced it myself. I don't recall exactly what the new board cost me but I recall thinking it wasn't cheap.

We bought GE washer & dryer at Lowes. BLACKFRIDAY discount prices.

A few things drove the decision:

1) Disorganized service of a LG appliances.
2) Automatic detergent dispenser. You add a few QTs and it adds proper amount to each wash.
3) The GE was shorter front to back. The washer machine room is a little cramped.

Lowes must have 15 washers on display. Ten were LG and then one or two machines from other brands. One GE and it was not the model we wanted. One step below.
We've had our GE set for about 3 years now, it has been great. No auto detergent on mine but otherwise it should be similar. The Microban door seal on the washer is great, as well as the venting feature. GE is one of very few manufacturers that have reversible doors on the washers which in my case was needed as I have dryer on the left and washer on the right.

Just seeing this thread. Our LG dishwasher died halfway through a cycle before Thanksgiving, and after numerous repairs over the years I said to hell with it. Replaced it with a Kitchenaid marked down to $900 from $1400 on Black Friday.

Our LG double oven has never cooked food evenly and the fridge is on it's second compressor. I've also had to replace the switch that turns on the ice-melt coils in the freezer twice. The microwave is awesome but it's not hard to make a decent microwave.

They're each going to get replaced at the next issue.

Back