Rotella CJ-4 might not be holding up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the issue of EGT and keeping them in a certain range with a diesel engine, but is it also proper or advisable to monitor engine oil temps at the same time? Just curious . . .

Thanks,
CBODY67

When I had a temp guage in the filter boss (for a couple weeks), the oil temps very closely mimicked coolant temps. FWIW.

Hi,
CBODY67 - To answer your question - yes. In my heavy trucks the peaks were noted regularly from the ECM and my Drivers were trained by my Driver Trainer to monitor all "operational" gauges as a "package". They were instructed to downshift rather than run high Pyrometer readings for long periods. This was also one of the items de-briefed from each vehicle's ECM

In particular my average bulk oil temperature (same engine
family) was around 100C as I recall

Bulk oil temperature is the best way of "getting a grip" on the actual operating temperature of the engine's lubricant

Last edited:
"You are one of those that likes to argue for no other reason than to argue...and you add nothing to the thread, because you know very little on the subject (as shown here)."

I have a 2003 SO CA engine, which differs primarily from the regular SO of that year in having a catalytic converter and having a lower combustion temperature for reduced NOX. The torque is the same as the regular SO but HP is a bit lower. The temps are lowered due (at least in part) to more retarded timing, where at least one downside is that evidently more soot is generated, which is why the CA engine retained the 3750 mile oil change interval while the regular SO and the HO were able to use a 7500 oil change interval that year. An upside is that one comment that I ran across from a Cummins engineer is that it would probably be a longer lasting engine as it ran cooler.

Later models were 50 state HO, but NOX is still basically related to combustion temperature. You've chosen to advance timing, probably to try to get better mileage, higher output, etc., and in the process have produced higher combustion temperatures.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jsmeb/49/4/1298/_pdf

Emission Reduction in Diesel Engines Using New Fuel Injection System

Reduction in NOx and soot in light and medium duty diesel engines and meeting the U.S. emission standards is an important challenge. This paper shows how injection rate shaping should be performed to reduce NOx while engine performance and soot formation remain almost constant. Effects of intercooler with and without rate shaping on NOx reduction will be investigated. Results indicated that the rate shaping and pilot/split injection was an effective technique to reduce NOx at some operating condition. Combined effects of intercooler and rate shaping have shown a reduction of NOx by 50% for some operating conditions. At idle condition, a split injection was found to be a good solution for NOx reduction. A combustion simulation computer program was used in this analysis for six different operating conditions.

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/public/brochures/6SA591.pdf

The ABC’s Of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)

Since high cylinder temperatures cause NOx, NOx can be reduced by lowering cylinder temperatures. Charge air coolers are already commonly used for this reason. Reduced cylinder temperatures can be achieved in two ways:

■ Retarding ignition timing and/or
■ Reducing the amount of oxygen in the cylinder,which inhibits the combustion process

Retarded ignition timing makes the combustion process start at a less-than-optimum point and reduces the efficiency of combustion. This technique lowers cylinder temperature,
reducing NOx, But it also reduces fuel economy and performance, and creates excess soot, which results in more frequent oil changes.

You still fail to explain why I run BELOW your "guideline" of 1250*F EGTs and still have trouble. I stand by my opinion that my mods are not causing the problem, and that the oil is not capable of withstanding the continuous heat. My 04.5 "600-series" HO is really nothing like your CA-edition SO...apples to oranges...

I am running less than 2* of timing...compared to an actual programmer, I am running almost no timing advance. And FYI, I have ran with and without this timing advance (a RokkTech sensor)...EGTs did not change.

The retarding actually retains heat in the cylinder, causing the head to run at a higher temp and promote complete fuel combustion...this is the reason there are dropped valve seats reported in the CR heads and the reason the later CRs have a different valve adjustment than previous ones (0.026" versus 0.020"). This is also how this version of the Cummins does "EGR" without an EGR valve.

The third injection event is the primary culprit for increased soot. There are three in the 04.5+ HOs and the third injection is for emissions control only...add fuel to burn the soot up in the catalytic converter (if that makes any sense, wastes fuel primarily). This happens while the exhaust valve is open...

Again I restate, you have not yet provided an explanation for why I can run more/less continuously within the EGTs YOU posted, and still have issues. My other readings are spikes which literally last a few seconds during a WOT run through the gears...the 1000*F reading was a sustained reading for over 100 miles (where the heat actually has time to "soak" into the engine parts). Those spikes in temp also never have affected the oil before...do you think I drove without shifting for the last UOA that looked fine??? I hit 1500*F at least once each time I drive my truck...just running 5th hard to merge with traffic.

If you placed a EGT guage on a completely stock truck, their EGTs would be identical or higher than mine, mainly because of my mods. The mods are not the cause. You act like it is abnormal to hit 1500*F pre-turbo at WOT...that's quite common for the HO CRD, even in stock trim.

There are no "fail safe conditions" or monitors on a stock truck to prevent exceeding "maximums"...so its not like they couldn't see the same conditions (which they do see these same conditions)...do you think not knowing what EGTs are would keep a stock truck from running hot?

But how many owners have posted a UOA to actually know?? Harley has, I have, a couple others have...but is it representative of ALL trucks under ALL conditions??? Doubtful. I have shown that CJ-4 Rotella does not hold up to conditions that I subject my truck to...nothing more, nothing less.

And its odd how I can have GOOD UOAs with these SAME MODS, yet do one single run that was around 100 miles at around 1000*F EGTs and have issues...at temps that any STOCK truck can replicate...

IMO, its the subjection to continuous high heat that is causing the oil to degrade (probably boil-off, as indicated by increased viscosity)...has nothing to do with exceeding a arbitrary EGT, nothing to do with mods...conditions a stock truck could see.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
You still fail to explain why I run BELOW your "guideline" of 1250*F EGTs and still have trouble. I stand by my opinion that my mods are not causing the problem, and that the oil is not capable of withstanding the continuous heat. My 04.5 "600-series" HO is really nothing like your CA-edition SO...apples to oranges...

I am running less than 2* of timing...compared to an actual programmer, I am running almost no timing advance. And FYI, I have ran with and without this timing advance (a RokkTech sensor)...EGTs did not change.

The retarding actually retains heat in the cylinder, causing the head to run at a higher temp and promote complete fuel combustion...this is the reason there are dropped valve seats reported in the CR heads and the reason the later CRs have a different valve adjustment than previous ones (0.026" versus 0.020"). This is also how this version of the Cummins does "EGR" without an EGR valve.

The third injection event is the primary culprit for increased soot. There are three in the 04.5+ HOs and the third injection is for emissions control only...add fuel to burn the soot up in the catalytic converter (if that makes any sense, wastes fuel primarily). This happens while the exhaust valve is open...

Again I restate, you have not yet provided an explanation for why I can run more/less continuously within the EGTs YOU posted, and still have issues. My other readings are spikes which literally last a few seconds during a WOT run through the gears...the 1000*F reading was a sustained reading for over 100 miles (where the heat actually has time to "soak" into the engine parts). Those spikes in temp also never have affected the oil before...do you think I drove without shifting for the last UOA that looked fine??? I hit 1500*F at least once each time I drive my truck...just running 5th hard to merge with traffic.

If you placed a EGT guage on a completely stock truck, their EGTs would be identical or higher than mine, mainly because of my mods. The mods are not the cause. You act like it is abnormal to hit 1500*F pre-turbo at WOT...that's quite common for the HO CRD, even in stock trim.

There are no "fail safe conditions" or monitors on a stock truck to prevent exceeding "maximums"...so its not like they couldn't see the same conditions (which they do see these same conditions)...do you think not knowing what EGTs are would keep a stock truck from running hot?

But how many owners have posted a UOA to actually know?? Harley has, I have, a couple others have...but is it representative of ALL trucks under ALL conditions??? Doubtful. I have shown that CJ-4 Rotella does not hold up to conditions that I subject my truck to...nothing more, nothing less.

And its odd how I can have GOOD UOAs with these SAME MODS, yet do one single run that was around 100 miles at around 1000*F EGTs and have issues...at temps that any STOCK truck can replicate...

IMO, its the subjection to continuous high heat that is causing the oil to degrade (probably boil-off, as indicated by increased viscosity)...has nothing to do with exceeding a arbitrary EGT, nothing to do with mods...conditions a stock truck could see.

Agreed....

I agree with Steve as well. Glad you picked up some Shaeffer's 9k.

1500 in a stock truck is not hard to do but takes a heavy foot and a long grade with decent load behind it as well.

I keep my egt back down set at 1300 but I don't hit it too often. All stock here motorwise except a TST for some added timing, fueling, boost fooling, and intake/exhaust mods.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
deeter, have you sent any of that to Shell? I'd be curious as to what they would say, if anything? By the way, how has your oil consumption been?

I have not contacted Shell...

Oil consumption is very low...less than 1/4 quart per 8k to 10k miles.

My problem is where the oil is picking up the heat, as there is is only a small portion of oil being pushed through the turbo.

That's where I've been scratching my head while following this thread. I just don't see how increased EGT's would effect the oil that much.

The oil is being circulated so fast through the turbo when the engine is running that the heat soak factor must be minimal. I'm scrathcing my head on this one.

Is it possible the oil isn't moving fast enough through the turbo? Just throwin' that out there...

Maybe the return line is a bit restricted?

I'm only perceiving what causes it to change...higher RPM, higher than normal load, higher EGTs. I am not pointing at one single thing, but I feel of the things that could damage oil in a Cummins, heat is probably the most likely suspect in my case...

FWIW, I would also suspect heat....which may cause lubricant oxidation leading to increased viscosity.

I'd install an oil temp gauge to verify how hot it's actually getting.

My problem is where the oil is picking up the heat, as there is is only a small portion of oil being pushed through the turbo.

That's where I've been scratching my head while following this thread. I just don't see how increased EGT's would effect the oil that much.

The oil is being circulated so fast through the turbo when the engine is running that the heat soak factor must be minimal. I'm scrathcing my head on this one.

I don't think its picking it up at the turbo, but as eluded to before, there are piston-cooling oil jets...these CRs are a little strange, in that they were designed to operate at higher than normal temps from the emissions.

EGTs are an indication of cylinder temps, which is heat at the pistons. You can more/less conclude the oil is getting the excess heat at the pistons, not the turbo.

I think its just so common to think of the EGTs as only affecting the turbo, when they are in fact affecting the entire engine. I had to get unwrapped from this myself...I re-read this entire post and it was Harley's posts on the cooling jets that got me thinking about other sources of heat...

Last edited:
deeter, have you sent any of that to Shell? I'd be curious as to what they would say, if anything? By the way, how has your oil consumption been?

I have not contacted Shell...

Oil consumption is very low...less than 1/4 quart per 8k to 10k miles.

I refer back to my original post on June 9. Send all of this information to Shell.

"EGTs are an indication of cylinder temps, which is heat at the pistons."

The temperatures of concern are combustion (power, soot, NOX), piston (durability, affect on oil due to oil jets for cooling), and exhaust (turbo). EGTs will vary depending upon where measured, but by themselves don't have much impact except on the turbo. Regarding durability combustion temperature is only a concern regarding soot formation (reduces oil change interval) and heat that is transferred to the piston, rings, cylinder walls, and indirectly to the oil. The primary reason for monitoring EGTs is the assumption that they're directly related to combustion and piston temperature, but they aren't.

In general reduced NOX is obtained with lower combustion temperatures, typically with a combination of injection profiles and timing. This is managed while generating maximum power. I'll guess that reduced mileage comes from the additional fuel being injected to control noise and control combustion temperatures, fuel that isn't being used directly for power output. When you advance the timing you're increasing increasing combustion temperatures, probably piston temperarures too, regardless of what is happening to EGTs. I've run across articles noting that advancing timing will lower EGTs while increasing combustion temperatures.

Your symptoms suggest that under maximum loads the oil is perhaps breaking down while cooling pistons.

Now it makes sense. The exhaust temperature isn't an average or peak temperatute, it just relfects what is being dumped during some portion of the end of the combustion process. Advancing the timing in part provides better mileage because it enables the engine to retain more of the energy of the fuel, which means that it's also retaining more heat. When the charge is dumped to the exhaust it has a lower temperature as the combustion charge has cooled more, and the cylinder/piston has also soaked more of it up. If you go too far you get more noise among other things.

One needs to keep EGTs under control in order to prevent damage to some parts of the engine, but it's not a guarantee that you aren't doing damage elsewhere. NOX levels are perhaps a better indicator of peak combustion temperatures, and perhaps also a better indicator of the temperatures that the piston has to handle. In addition to the cooling system the oil spray to the pistons helps to manage temperatures.

Shell offering synthetic 5W-40

Jun 1, 2008 12:00 PM
Fleet Owner maagazine writes.

"Shell Lubricants is now offering the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 heavy-duty motor oil which meets or exceeds API CJ-4 specifications. The oil provides protection against soot, dirt and other contaminants that can cause engine wear and deposits, Shell said. It also resists breakdown by heat to supply severe operation protection.

“In seven out of seven standard engine tests that measure wear, compared to the previous formulation, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 has demonstrated an average of 34% improvement in wear (ranging from 2% to 90%), with substantially improved protection against cylinder liner wear,” said Walt Silveira, North American technical manager for Shell Lubricants. “This is a significant benefit when a truck is used for low-speed operations, such as hauling heavy loads.”

The formulation is compatible with the exhaust aftertreatment devices such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) found on heavy-duty trucks built beginning in January 2007. The low-ash formulation also helps control the rate of DPF blockage.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 meets or exceeds the API CJ-4 requirements for Cummins CES 20081; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Detroit Diesel 93K218; Mack EO-O Premium Plus; Mercedes-Benz Approval 228.31; and Volvo VDS-4. It is also suitable for off-highway applications where 500 ppm diesel fuel is used. The high-TBN formulation gives added protection in off-highway or for extended oil drain intervals."

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I refer back to my original post on June 9. Send all of this information to Shell.

Yep. If you do, let us know what they tell you. I've reread the thread a few times and I'm still perplexed by this
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back