AC/Delco Syn 5W/30, 5544 OCI, 2015 Canyon 3.6L

First UOA on my truck. I drive a fairly short (10 mile) highway commute during the week. Some city street driving. No real idling or mountain driving. Thoughts? Should I switch to a high mileage oil? When the AC/Delco swill was drained, I went to the Costco Kirkland synthetic.

OLM was at 4% life left.

Oil: AC/Delco Synthetic 5w30
Make up oil: 0
Miles on oil: 5544
Miles on Engine: 106442
3.6L Gasoline V6

Universal averages show typical wear for this engine type after ~5800 miles of use. That's about how long you ran this oil, and for the most part metals are in good shape next to averages. Iron is a bit high, but that might be due to how you are using this engine. Mountain driving or lots of idling can leave extra metal behind, so as long as trends prove stable from here, we wouldn't worry about poor steel wear. 1.5% fuel is typically from normal operation (like idling or short trips), and a low viscosity is harmless. Try this interval again and check back on iron.

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 31
COPPER 3
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 130
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 24
SILICON 10
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 1020
MAGNESIUM 591
PHOSPHORUS 669
ZINC 793
BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.11
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 52.8
Flashpoint in °F 355
Fuel % 1.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % .4

That is a higher amount of Fe for the mileage & use but I don't see what BS is showing for the avg's. Viscosity somewhat on the low side. You could run HM anytime you wanted.

Reactions: wlk
Aluminum avg = 4
Iron = 17
Copper = 5
Moly = 94

Everything else was good.
Thanks! High Mileage is on the thicker side at times so a HM 5w-30 may be an option for you. I thought I'd seen these 3.6L's producing a lot of metal in the past even in the CTS etc. if they're the same engine. But based on BS avg's it doesn't appear to be too high.

So far, there are no issues with leaks, but after seeing the UOA, I'm leaning towards the HM formulation to help with the viscosity and the fuel dilution. This is my first time with the 3.6L, but it seems pretty good. FWIW, the magnet had the usual amount of gunk on it...nothing really to make me go UH-OH.

So far, there are no issues with leaks, but after seeing the UOA, I'm leaning towards the HM formulation to help with the viscosity and the fuel dilution. This is my first time with the 3.6L, but it seems pretty good. FWIW, the magnet had the usual amount of gunk on it...nothing really to make me go UH-OH.
You're probably well aware of the local VOA thread & there are a few options to look at the viscosity.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-database.360118/

Aluminum avg = 4
Iron = 17
Copper = 5
Moly = 94

Everything else was good.
This engine is asking for 0w/5w40, dependent on season. My daughter has the Acadia 3.6 and we run 0w/5w40 for 4k max.
Your Flashpoint of 355 indicates about 4-5% fuel, not 1.5%. Blackstone does not use the conventional method to determine Fuel %.
Your viscosity of 8.11 for a 5w30 means it probably dropped two points, indicating that if you want to end your OCI anywhere near 30w, you need to move up in viscosity.

The AC Delco Oil is not swill. It's Exxon-Mobil. It's at least a ladder rung higher than Highline Warren's Kirkland (my opinion).
The adjustments you should consider are really minor tweaks. You can continue like this (or) you can try to improve. Because of it's high Moly count, Nick mentioned the Valvoline Advanced / EP may be a good next step for the 3.6, based on history.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think this GM OLM is Calendar and/or mileage run. In other words, the OLM % will drop if the vehicle remains parked for long spells. I don't think it runs by the condition of the oil. If I'm wrong, then I invite a more OLM-knowledgeable member to interpret how the OLM runs.

Last edited:
I think Valvoline syn 5/30 does well in the 3.6 in reading past tests on this motor
Is that the HM formula?

This engine is asking for 0w/5w40, dependent on season. My daughter has the Acadia 3.6 and we run 0w/5w40 for 4k max.
Your Flashpoint of 355 indicates about 4-5% fuel, not 1.5%. Blackstone does not use the conventional method to determine Fuel %.
Your viscosity of 8.11 for a 5w30 means it probably dropped two points, indicating that if you want to end your OCI anywhere near 30w, you need to move up in viscosity.

The AC Delco Oil is not swill. It's Exxon-Mobil. It's at least a ladder rung higher than Highline Warren's Kirkland (my opinion).
The adjustments you should consider are really minor tweaks. You can continue like this (or) you can try to improve. Because of it's high Moly count, Nick mentioned the Valvoline Advanced / EP may be a good next step for the 3.6, based on history.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think this GM OLM is Calendar and/or mileage run. In other words, the OLM % will drop if the vehicle remains parked for long spells. I don't think it runs by the condition of the oil. If I'm wrong, then I invite a more OLM-knowledgeable member to interpret how the OLM runs.
I thought of that, too. Winters in eastern Washington get cold, but not cold enough for a zero W, and summers can, and usually do hit 100+. Would a 5w40 work for a year round fill? As far as "swill" that was not meant as derogatory...more of slang. I am not brand loyal, per se, as I think most all name brand oils are fine for my usage changing annually. And I think you may be right about the OLM. During the summer months, I ride the bike and the truck doesn't get used as much.

If you want thick and HM, Quaker State has the thickest HM 5W30 I've seen:

But like others have said, I'd consider a 5W40. Mobil1 or Castrol Euro. Just my opinion.

Is that the HM formula?

I thought of that, too. Winters in eastern Washington get cold, but not cold enough for a zero W, and summers can, and usually do hit 100+. Would a 5w40 work for a year round fill? As far as "swill" that was not meant as derogatory...more of slang. I am not brand loyal, per se, as I think most all name brand oils are fine for my usage changing annually. And I think you may be right about the OLM. During the summer months, I ride the bike and the truck doesn't get used as much.
Regular Valvoline syn it's called advanced in 5/30.

Mine AFAIK takes into account oil & coolant temp, outside temp, rpm, time & such. It is not just time based. I am barely 2600 in on a mostly city commute and it's at 36%.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think this GM OLM is Calendar and/or mileage run. In other words, the OLM % will drop if the vehicle remains parked for long spells. I don't think it runs by the condition of the oil. If I'm wrong, then I invite a more OLM-knowledgeable member to interpret how the OLM runs
Mine AFAIK takes into account oil & coolant temp, outside temp, rpm, time & such. It is not just time based. I am barely 2600 in on a mostly city commute and it's at 36%.

GM's OLM is definitely not just calendar or mileage counter. From my understanding, it starts with a certain number of engine revolutions that it can't exceed but also has hard limits for mileage and time. Then depending on multiple factors like Thermo1223 mentions, (Engine Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, Ambient Temp, RPM, Engine Hours, Load) it assigns a deterioration factor and counts down the total number of revolution. Like if the engine is cold, the deterioration factor might be a 3, so each revolution counts as 3. But if the engine is warm and cruising down the highway, the deterioration factor might be 1, and its just a revolution counter. Then it also has logic built in to count down to zero based on mileage or time if the total number of revolutions won't be exceed by 7500 miles or 1 year.

Back