Rockauto Brake Rotors

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

The ACDelco SD are reboxed Raybestos R300 rotors (they are listed in a different section on Rock Auto-, but you can tell they are the same, identical wavy pattern on the rotors
The problem is that Raybestos doesn't coat the inside of the hat
mad.gif

Centric, Wagner, and Powerstop *do* coat the inside hat
smile.gif

EBC is good, though. DBA is really expensive

I do believe you are incorrect about the bolded part. I've got a pair of the Raybestos R300's sitting in front of me right now and the insides of the hats are certainly coated. They're not black painted like the outside of the hats, but other than the black painted exteriors of the hats, every other inch on both rotors, inside, outside, vented section.....are coated, including the inside of the hats. In fact, I'd wager the rotors are coated, prob. zinc, first then the hat painted black. Can provide pics if that would help.
smile.gif

Really only bought them because they were dirt cheap on Amazon at the time...notably cheaper than RA. Been sitting in their boxes for about a year. There when I need them. LOL.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
What about Centric Preimum?

They are fine. Had them on my old car. Centric is the parent company of Stoptech. APC Automotive fairly recently bought Centric.

I always tried to get Centric Premium rotors, they are a good rotor for the money but I am not sure if they will change since they got bought out.

Above: "Been sitting in their boxes for about a year. There when I need them. LOL."

That's how I buy my parts 95% of the time. It gives you time to correct any ordering errors.

I too was thinking about "high temperature paint" for self-coating rotors.

...ha-ha, I was considering flat blacking the inner part (the sandwich filling) of the fronts since black is THE color for heat dissipation.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I'm currently looking at replacing the brakes and rotors on my WRX. State inspection soon. I'm a bit surprised by the cost difference between Rockauto and the national chains. Anyone have good or bad experience with Rockauto coated rotors? I'm looking at the Raybestos brand.

Don't forget RA shipping.

Check Amazon if you have Amazon Prime with free shipping.

Have the Raybestos EHT rotors and pads on my Tundra. Work fine. Holding up well in MN.

Have the Centric premium rotors on our Rav4. Again, working fine. Do notice the coating on the vanes starting to flake off in some spots after 2 years.

Originally Posted by DaleRider

The ACDelco SD are reboxed Raybestos R300 rotors (they are listed in a different section on Rock Auto-, but you can tell they are the same, identical wavy pattern on the rotors
The problem is that Raybestos doesn't coat the inside of the hat
mad.gif

Centric, Wagner, and Powerstop *do* coat the inside hat
smile.gif

EBC is good, though. DBA is really expensive

I do believe you are incorrect about the bolded part. I've got a pair of the Raybestos R300's sitting in front of me right now and the insides of the hats are certainly coated. They're not black painted like the outside of the hats, but other than the black painted exteriors of the hats, every other inch on both rotors, inside, outside, vented section.....are coated, including the inside of the hats. In fact, I'd wager the rotors are coated, prob. zinc, first then the hat painted black. Can provide pics if that would help.
smile.gif

Really only bought them because they were dirt cheap on Amazon at the time...notably cheaper than RA. Been sitting in their boxes for about a year. There when I need them. LOL.

Yes, pics would help
smile.gif

I went by Rock Auto's pics, and they didn't seem to be coated on the inside.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
Have the Raybestos EHT rotors and pads on my Tundra. Work fine. Holding up well in MN.

Have the Centric premium rotors on our Rav4. Again, working fine. Do notice the coating on the vanes starting to flake off in some spots after 2 years.

How long have you had the Raybestos EHT rotors?

You may want look for EBC rotors. They are "usually" made in UK or USA. Pricing can be very good for their factory replacement line (which I believe are usually coated with a corrosion protectant). Look very well made. Sold in pairs. Summit Racing is one source for them. Installed a set on a Subie and BMW with no performance issues.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj

How long have you had the Raybestos EHT rotors?

Tundra is just getting into its 2nd winter with them. A year and change.

Yes, pics would help
smile.gif

Here you go....first the boxes, then the one I didn't take out its plastic bag, then the one I did open.

[Linked Image from jamayer.org]

Hope this helps.....you can see the coating everywhere on the rotor, even under the black hat paint....the silver showing along the edges of the lug holes and hub hole.

Originally Posted by DaleRider

Yes, pics would help
smile.gif

Here you go....first the boxes, then the one I didn't take out its plastic bag, then the one I did open.

Hope this helps.....you can see the coating everywhere on the rotor, even under the black hat paint....the silver showing along the edges of the lug holes and hub hole.

Thank you so much
thumbsup2.gif

Inner side coating of the 300 series looks 'similar' to inner side hats on the Raybestos RPTs I installed on an Accord, also purchased from RA.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Kira
Above: "Been sitting in their boxes for about a year. There when I need them. LOL."

That's how I buy my parts 95% of the time. It gives you time to correct any ordering errors.

I seem to have two ordering modes. Don't get around to using it before car ages out, or I need it yesterday.

Originally Posted by Kira

I too was thinking about "high temperature paint" for self-coating rotors.

...ha-ha, I was considering flat blacking the inner part (the sandwich filling) of the fronts since black is THE color for heat dissipation.

I had that idea too. I tried Rustoleum BBQ grill paint on rotors. Masked it off carefully and it looked beautiful. Let cure a few days in Summer. Ran off like water the first time I hit it with Brake Cleaner. So I suggest using anything else.

Rockauto don't have there own house brand but from my experience with them is don't buy the cheapest, and stick with a known brand.

Over the years I’ve had good success with various rotors that I ordered from Rockauto. You can save a ton of money. Have Motorcraft rotors that I just installed on my Lincoln MKC this AM and paired them up with the Wagner OEx pads that I got for $4.98 at Rockauto too. Like all things, be a smart consumer and hone in on top brands. Make sure to do your homework to ensure you know what you are ordering will be an exact fit. For example, my Explorer has the heavy duty brakes so I have to make sure what I order is truly designed for HD fitment...

I recently ordered pads and rotors all the way around for the wife's Nissan Quest van.
Ended up ordering Raybestos Element 3 rotors and Raybestos EHT pads.
Even with shipping charges, RA was still cheaper than any other place I found.
Haven't installed them yet, but they arrived quickly, and look like good quality parts.

Back