AAP/AZ rotors and pads

I've had much better luck with the AutoZone Duralast Gold/Duralast Max brake pads on our old 1999 Silverado and 2004 TrailBlazer than I did with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. The ThermoQuiet pads wore out prematurely (under 30,000 miles) on both vehicles.

I can't say anything about rotors as I have not replaced any in many many years.
I’m 100% with you. Bought the Wagner pads for the discount/rebate and they were junk. Replaced with the gold/platinum Carquest house pads at AA (made in India) and they are GREAT pads. Low dust, good performance, long lasting and quiet.

All my cars now get the gold or platinum house brand pads. I really like them.

Ordered a set of AZ duralast rotors and pads with free delivery for 180$. We shall see how they are overtime

AAP/AZ/OR pads are made in India by Roulunds Braking, which is MAT Holdings, except for the cheaper BrakeBest and Duralast lines that are made in China. New Duralast Elite is made in Mexico by Bosch.

They seem to be hit or miss IMO, but now even OE Mercedes and Volvo service pads are made in India - Roulunds is/was a long-time supplier to Saab and Volvo, Dan-Blok was a popular pad for Swedish cars.

I’ve had really good luck with all the parts stores pads and rotors both on customers cars and my own. Usually get the Gold or Platinum line that way the include hardware. They usually last a long while and have no noise. At least for me. I only buy parts store pads and rotors or Raybestos. Other brands are ok too but I don’t like waiting on parts and I get the best discount at work so can’t always get fancy brands. I’ve never had to grind pad ears down. From my experience if you have to do that then you have the wrong pads. They can be a pain sometimes trying to line them up right but once you fiddle with it for a minute it goes right in.

nah, that's a bit of a shady business. doesn't make sense why would anyone honor "lifetime" warranty on the wear item
Shady ? It's their offer and not a loophole just because brake pads are "wear items". As @The Critic said and I mentioned earlier, a) warranty replacements are already factored into the selling price of the pads and b) they know that statistically only a small % of customers follow-up on the warranty. I promise you, when you buy a 2nd set for that same vehicle, they aren't digging into the records to see if you bought pads before and will offer the warranty replacement. That's on you (us) to initiate.

Shady ? It's their offer and not a loophole just because brake pads are "wear items". As @The Critic said and I mentioned earlier, a) warranty replacements are already factored into the selling price of the pads and b) they know that statistically only a small % of customers follow-up on the warranty. I promise you, when you buy a 2nd set for that same vehicle, they aren't digging into the records to see if you bought pads before and will offer the warranty replacement. That's on you (us) to initiate.
Maybe i should've used a different word. Didn't mean to offend anyone, really

No one's offended, we're just saying that their overpriced parts have a lot of warranty cost built into them.
Copy that. Just finished changing the breaks and did the bed in procedure. Is a bit of a burning smell ok for the new breaks? It’s been over three years since the last time I changed them and don’t remember if it was the case last time.

Edit: torqued bracket and caliper bolts to the spec, pad ears lubricated, sliding pins as well. Everything did fit nicely. No more shudder breaking from 55-60 mph

Copy that. Just finished changing the breaks and did the bed in procedure. Is a bit of a burning smell ok for the new breaks? It’s been over three years since the last time I changed them and don’t remember if it was the case last time.

Edit: torqued bracket and caliper bolts to the spec, pad ears lubricated, sliding pins as well. Everything did fit nicely. No more shudder breaking from 55-60 mph
You probably got them a bit hot, which is normal. It usually isn't necessary to perform an aggressive break-in on OEM type pads - the transfer layer will eventually be established.

You probably got them a bit hot, which is normal. It usually isn't necessary to perform an aggressive break-in on OEM type pads - the transfer layer will eventually be established.
I’ve done 3 gentle passes from 35 to 5, and touch more aggressive from 50 to 5-10. Didn’t really go crazy or anything. It’s 100F here in Texas so that probably doesn’t help

I’ve done 3 gentle passes from 35 to 5, and touch more aggressive from 50 to 5-10. Didn’t really go crazy or anything. It’s 100F here in Texas so that probably doesn’t help
IMO just drive it with OE-type pads, no sudden or emergency stops for the first 100 miles. I do 10 stops from 20-30mph with 10-30 seconds in between to make sure all seems well.

Back