Repair it or retire it

2006 Sentra with 129K on the odometer.

3 out of 4 engine mounts need replacement. Needs a new battery as well. The mechanic is not in favor or replacing the engine mounts. He has been servicing this car for at least 6 years now. Today, he mentioned that OEM mounts are not available and aftermarket mount quality is subpar so probably not worth spending $600 to replace those mounts.

If I choose not to replace them and keep using the car as it is, eventually it will affect the exhaust system because of the engine movement at every acceleration. That will be another $600.

Taken together with the rust around the car, he is not in favor is spending this money.

My plan was to keep this car until the car prices come down a little, and then retire it. Since nobody knows when the prices will go down, I am pretty confused as what should be the next step.

What would you folks do?

My plan was to keep this car until the car prices come down a little, and then retire it. Since nobody knows when the prices will go down, I am pretty confused as what should be the next step.
Prices have already come down quite a bit - have you checked in the last few weeks?

He is correct that aftermarket mounts are generally garbage, though, if your OE mounts are that bad.....aftermarket may buy you a year or two until you are ready to purchase.

3 out of 4 engine mounts need replacement. Needs a new battery as well. The mechanic is not in favor or replacing the engine mounts. He has been servicing this car for at least 6 years now. Today, he mentioned that OEM mounts are not available and aftermarket mount quality is subpar so probably not worth spending $600 to replace those mounts.

If I choose not to replace them and keep using the car as it is, eventually it will affect the exhaust system because of the engine movement at every acceleration. That will be another $600.

Taken together with the rust around the car, he is not in favor is spending this money.

What would you folks do?
If engine mounts are all it needs right now, I would go ahead and spend the money. Car prices are slowly coming down, but interest rates are in the stratosphere, double what they were this time last year. Aftermarket mounts suck, but they might survive long enough for you to get by at least until interest rates drop. You'll come out ahead even if the car only lasts 6 months on the $600 you put into it now. Could be a year or two, but I would repair and wait.

What would you folks do?
Are you in the rust belt?

Fix it. Used and new cars are too expensive.
Normally I would agree, but it really depends on how bad the rust is.

I live in the North East and recently had a family member go through this. They could've thrown $1000 at the car, but in the end its days were numbered by the rust monster.

Unfortunately I don't think the car market is going to change for the better anytime soon, if it gets drastically better we likely have other economical problems.

The family member went and purchased the best used Toyota they could find for the money, which I think was a safe bet.

I read a lot of Nissan have always motor mount issue.
So the OEM is probably not that good to begin with or there is design flaw.

I will fix it and it seems to be a not so difficult fix.

Check stealership yourself to see if the part is still available.
It seems that the shop may just be lazy to check or don't have relationship with stealership.

Last edited:
The inexpensive answer is to get it fixed. This is a 17 year old car so does it have to be OEM? Maybe someone else here can suggest a brand or a source?

Personally I would replace the mounts myself. Then the math becomes pretty easy, but I understand working on cars isn't for everyone, but youtube makes it pretty easy to see if a job is doable for you. An Anchor kit for all 4 is $80 on rock auto. While not great mounts, none appear to be liquid filled so probably will function fine for a while.
Maybe you need to find another mechanic? Replacing 3 of 4 shouldn't be too many hours? And the mounts shouldn't be that much unless you get Nissan ones(which is probably a good idea if you are going to keep it for a while).
A new little battery isn't too much either.
Unless you have more looming issues adding up to $2000, or bad rust, a couple $500 repairs a year isn't too bad.

Am I the only one that thinks that $600 to replace engine mounts sounds too high?

I agree with most of the others in here, fix it and drive it for as long as you can. $600 is less than 2 months two months of new car payments so even if the aftermarket mounts only last a year, you're still well ahead. IF YOU NEED ONE, a one year warranty battery should only cost about $100 or a four year warranty one about $169 at Walmart.

What state are you in? How bad is the rust and does your state inspect for excessive rust damage? 129,000 is not an excessive number of miles on today's cars and you should be able to drive it for many more miles. Also unless you're in a severe rust state a 2006 model car shouldn't be that badly rusted.

Does your mechanic just happen to work for a stealership? It kind of sounds like it from the price that he's quoting and it sounds like he (or his bosses) would rather sell you a new car than fix yours.

PS There are a lot of OEM dealers that sell online (such as Tasca Ford), if your dealer can't get the OEM parts go check online. I just bought an OEM air intake hose for a Hyundai online (E-bay) for about 2/3 of what the local dealers wanted for the same part.

Finally, have you thought about replacing the engine mounts yourself and saving yourself some serious money? I haven't had to change any in YEARS but none of the ones that I've ever changed were that difficult.

Personally, I'd fix it.

At a minimum, get another opinion and quote from a different mechanic. I don't know this particular car, but $600 seem high.

What would you folks do?
If the car is worth less than $3k I would just run on the collapsed mounts and start looking for a replacement. Prices won't come down enough to warrant waiting.

Rock Auto has an entire motor mount kit. $65. How bad can they be? Maybe two years possibly more. Have your mech replace them. Can't be $500 labor cost to jack a motor up and R&R three mounts.

MK5402.jpg

Back