Mercedes: motor mounts bad out of the box?

As the title says, one of the first things i did when i got my car last summer was to replace the completely collapsed motor mounts with new ones. I used Lemförder ones as they're supposed to be MB's supplier or at least be on par with what the dealer sells. I was happy for a few weeks, thought it was still a bit rough but didn't loose sleep over it as i had many other issues to fix with the car.

I feel like the car really doesn't behave like it should with lots of noise, vibration and harshness. Here are the symptoms:

-The first compression stroke when the engine starts shakes the car really hard, same thing when i shut the engine down.
-Too much idle vibration, feels like grandpa's tractor again.
-Some kind of droning sound in the cabin coming from the front of the car, almost like a sound coming from the air box, seems worse at around 2000rpm, i can almost feel every power pulse and ear some kind of of resonance through the body of the car.
-I can feel the above through the steering wheel and i can also feel some kind of like knocks through it driving over a road that's a bit rough (that might be other things but i can't find play in any balljoint or bushing and there's no suspension noise).
-Vibration sounds louder when there's a dip in the road.
-Seems very slightly better when the weather gets warmer or after driving the car.

What i did and checked:

-Clearance between engine/trans and car body is ok. Can't find metal to metal contact.
-Motor mounts still look like new and bolts torqued correctly.
-Recently replaced the transmission mount and it did nothing.

It doesn't make the car undriveable but it should be way better than that. Prior to that i used to own a 1995 diesel W124 with the same engine and it was dead smooth after replacing the motor mounts, you could barely feel the engine idling or even starting or shutting down. My other W202s were smoother too. This is really doing my head in right now... Any idea what to check next? Has quality of supposedly good parts gone south too? Are motor mounts made of concrete?

Last edited:
Your issues sound more like a rough running engine issue than a motor mount to me? Its always hard to tell though when your not there.

Have you tried to have someone torque the engine while you watch, and see how much it moves under load?

Your issues sound more like a rough running engine issue than a motor mount to me? Its always hard to tell though when your not there.

Have you tried to have someone torque the engine while you watch, and see how much it moves under load?
It doesn't move and it could pass the coin test, the engine itself idles and runs smooth and is quiet for what it is.

Just gave the local dealer a phone call. The price for both mounts is... 722€. You read that right! 🤑

Which car is this for? Were the OE mounts hydraulic? That would explain the price.
My daily driver W202 and yes they are hydraulic indeed. It was like 150€ each for the W124 at the dealer back in 2018 maybe.

Yes, that is the problem, considering the difference in performance the price is acceptable. The aftermarket ones are not good in applications that use the hydraulic, a lot of people cheap out on Honda V6 rear mounts because they are over $500 for one then complain when it rattles their teeth loose.

I watched a good youtube video on how to check motor mounts, not sure it would apply in your case. Pop the hood then power brake, see if the engine jumps around at all.

I watched a good youtube video on how to check motor mounts, not sure it would apply in your case. Pop the hood then power brake, see if the engine jumps around at all.
The engine doesn't move much, it's more as if the mounts were made of concrete really!

Gave another dealer a call, 320€ for both mounts. I think i'll go with that!

As the title says, one of the first things i did when i got my car last summer was to replace the completely collapsed motor mounts with new ones. I used Lemförder ones as they're supposed to be MB's supplier or at least be on par with what the dealer sells. I was happy for a few weeks, thought it was still a bit rough but didn't loose sleep over it as i had many other issues to fix with the car.

I feel like the car really doesn't behave like it should with lots of noise, vibration and harshness. Here are the symptoms:

-The first compression stroke when the engine starts shakes the car really hard, same thing when i shut the engine down.
-Too much idle vibration, feels like grandpa's tractor again.
-Some kind of droning sound in the cabin coming from the front of the car, almost like a sound coming from the air box, seems worse at around 2000rpm, i can almost feel every power pulse and ear some kind of of resonance through the body of the car.
-I can feel the above through the steering wheel and i can also feel some kind of like knocks through it driving over a road that's a bit rough (that might be other things but i can't find play in any balljoint or bushing and there's no suspension noise).
-Vibration sounds louder when there's a dip in the road.
-Seems very slightly better when the weather gets warmer or after driving the car.

What i did and checked:

-Clearance between engine/trans and car body is ok. Can't find metal to metal contact.
-Motor mounts still look like new and bolts torqued correctly.
-Recently replaced the transmission mount and it did nothing.

It doesn't make the car undriveable but it should be way better than that. Prior to that i used to own a 1995 diesel W124 with the same engine and it was dead smooth after replacing the motor mounts, you could barely feel the engine idling or even starting or shutting down. My other W202s were smoother too. This is really doing my head in right now... Any idea what to check next? Has quality of supposedly good parts gone south too? Are motor mounts made of concrete?
Lemforder is the supplier for Mercedes. Per their online catalog they have a couple of different mounts available. Perhaps the one you bought wasn't actually the OE part and the parts house got lazy.

Lemforder is the supplier for Mercedes. Per their online catalog they have a couple of different mounts available. Perhaps the one you bought wasn't actually the OE part and the parts house got lazy.
Yeah it's weird. There's a newer part number that is ok for both sides which is what i have and there used to be a different part number for right and left and they only list the left side now...

I've had Lemforder suspension parts upon close inspection had the OEM name/logo/pn ground off. Don't suppose you noticed that with these?

I've had Lemforder suspension parts upon close inspection had the OEM name/logo/pn ground off. Don't suppose you noticed that with these?
It is usually the case with other Lemförder parts i've bought in the past but not this time. I regret not paying attention to the boxes to see if they are made in germany or if they come from a place where they make lots of crappy parts.

Last edited:
Back