High perfomance oil filter for big block chevy needed.

You could try a Fram HP1 racing filter. Not sure if the dimensions are right for you, though. It crosses to a 51515 application.
That is exactly what I was going to recommend and I use it on my '32 Ford Street rod with similar specs as the poster. That filter can handle 80-100psi easily.

Is this a block mounted filter or does it have a remote mounted filter? If it’s a Ford filter it makes me think it’s a remote setup, but could be wrong. If remote is it possible there is another restriction in that system to at is driving pressure at the filter up? I’m trying to picture it in my head but if there was a restriction in the output line from filter to engine then that would increase pressure in the filter right?

As others have mentioned already I have also run the Wix Racing and at times the Fram racing filters on circle track cars that would see 80 psi cold and had no problems there with plugged bypass in the adapter. These generally don’t filter as fine as a street filter but they do flow more easily through the media.

edit… one more thought. Did it do this before or just after you put a new filter on? I know you said you did a full turn, have you tried going a little more? In theory it shouldn’t need it but maybe try another 1/4 turn or so? Also did you libe the gasket so it doesn’t deform when tightened, I assume so but thought I’d ask just in case.

Last edited:
This sounds like a bad mating surface to the oil filter. I seen rebuilt sbc run 80 psi with the regular acdelco 1218 and the gasket is fine.

Thank you all for your replies. I am hoping to have the replacement filter in hand before removing the existing one to examine the engine mounting surface and to determine if there is an adapter there as suggested. I will follow the advice & have some options to choose from and then decide which one to use at that time. I will have Wix racing filter , the Fram & maybe others. I also will look into your other suggestions & will report back how this works out. FYI the oil pressure gauge is electric & at cold start reads 100 psi ( pegged) and drops to 80 after warm up at about 190 degrees. The knowledge shared here is very valuable and useful. Thanks again! Rod

Back