2000 Camry V6 - CV axle brands

So my 2000 Camry V6 is in need of a driver side axle. I replaced the rear engine mount this weekend and while I was under there I learned that the boot had a significant cut in it. When I put a flashlight to the inside of that cut, it was dry and most if not all of the grease was filled with dirt and debris.. it is the original axle.

I’m not going to take a chance re-booting it so I came here to ask if there are any recommended brands that you all like to use.

As always, thanks everyone.

I've had really good success with the GSP branded ones. Have a drivers one on both my TL and Accord and they've been spot on.
Thank you for the recommendation. I think I saw those on RA but I have banned them from now lol

1) rebuild your own with current or junkyard
2) dealer
3) reman unit

new axles from anywhere seem to be the best for a job if you are feeling lucky or want to do the job more then once?

Where can one find internal parts to rebuild the OEM unit?

Toyota still sells the boots and joints, though they cost a lot more than an entire aftermarket axle, and you'd have to disassemble and reassemble yourself, and CV grease is nasty :D

But if you're still interested, you can look up the part numbers here or any other Toyota dealer parts site.

I have almost 25K miles on a Protech CV axle (2004 Honda CR-V) and it is slinging grease now. It also has a shudder at around 20 mph since new.

I think any CV axle under $100 is going to be a roll of the dice.

I have almost 25K miles on a Protech CV axle (2004 Honda CR-V) and it is slinging grease now. It also has a shudder at around 20 mph since new.

I think any CV axle under $100 is going to be a roll of the dice.

Since you have a Honda, Raxles rebuilds axles for your car. Now, they only do Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru.

Toyota still sells the boots and joints, though they cost a lot more than an entire aftermarket axle, and you'd have to disassemble and reassemble yourself, and CV grease is nasty :D

But if you're still interested, you can look up the part numbers here or any other Toyota dealer parts site.
I checked out the prices and in typical Toyota fashion, my wallet clenched itself lol

Since you have a Honda, Raxles rebuilds axles for your car. Now, they only do Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru.

The funny thing is I bought the Protech to replace a Raxles CV that was leaking grease so I could keep the core. That corner of the car experienced a tire blowout at highway speed, so that may have stressed the boots.

The independent Honda shop that I go to doesn't reboot CV's, that's why I bought the Raxles at first. When I asked what brand they source, they said whatever WorldPac offers. I think it was FEQ at that time during the COVID supply chain crunch.

I hope the OP has better luck than me!

The funny thing is I bought the Protech to replace a Raxles CV that was leaking grease so I could keep the core. That corner of the car experienced a tire blowout at highway speed, so that may have stressed the boots.

The independent Honda shop that I go to doesn't reboot CV's, that's why I bought the Raxles at first. When I asked what brand they source, they said whatever WorldPac offers. I think it was FEQ at that time during the COVID supply chain crunch.

I hope the OP has better luck than me!

Honda still sells OEM axles for your 2004 CR-V, but they're over $500 each!

Alright guys, I went to the junkyard and searched for an OEM cv axle, which I did find. It was probably the best one in the yard however the inboard boot has a small tear. Given that all of the cars in there are over 24 years old, I’m sure it’s a given..

All of the aftermarket boot offerings for this axle are made from neoprene. Dorman, Beck Arnley, and Suspensia make them for my application and it looks that Toyota discontinued making boots for my car a long time ago..

Any recommendations for boot brands to go with?

Get the part # for the boot and google it. You may come up with a suitable aftermarket part.

If you get diameters and # of bellows/pleats @Trav had a reco of a place that could match it based on that.

OR, quality neoprene on an inner boot isn't the end of the world.

I'm convinced there are still "grades" of neoprene because I've had some last years and some split 100% through in a year (I'm looking at you, FVP!!)

Alright guys, I went to the junkyard and searched for an OEM cv axle, which I did find. It was probably the best one in the yard however the inboard boot has a small tear. Given that all of the cars in there are over 24 years old, I’m sure it’s a given..

All of the aftermarket boot offerings for this axle are made from neoprene. Dorman, Beck Arnley, and Suspensia make them for my application and it looks that Toyota discontinued making boots for my car a long time ago..

Any recommendations for boot brands to go with?

Neoprene is ok for an inner boot since it doesn't flex as much as an outer boot that deals with steering. In fact, many newer cars will have a neoprene inner boot from the factory (though the outer boot is still thermoplastic).

As long as the outer boot is in good shape, that is the most important part.

The part number for the inner boot is 04438-06090
There are a few ebay listings from dealers from the middle east. There's also Partsouq.

Inner joints basically never fail, except on Subarus :sneaky:

Last edited:
Back