Rental Fleet Queens - Nissan and Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a matter of getting conditioned to the new technology. We have a pretty long standing habit of inserting and removing keys from ignitions to stop and start vehicles. At least I never lost the key, by the second day I was used to the keyless start and shutdown. I lost my key to my 09 Sonata about 3-4 years ago in Des Moines Iowa as I parked by a storm drain during a heavy rain and i dropped my FOB and key and they washed away down the drain. Luckily after waiting in a cafe for about an hour for the rain to stop there was a Hyundai dealer about 5 blocks away so I brought my registration and had to buy a new fob and key and it was about $260.00 for key and programming. I have ordered key fobs online for about $40 to $60 but at that time I did not have that luxury so paid what the dealer asked. I suppose these new keyless remotes probably cost much more than $260.00. At any rate I sure would not want to lose one.

Originally Posted By: irv
2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership.

So far so good,

Nice car mate.

Originally Posted By: SR5
2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership.

So far so good,

Nice car mate.

Thank you!
cheers3.gif

Although I agree somewhat with a post in here about reviews, I was glad to read these after it was brought to my attention by SatinSilver. My wife and I have only had this car a short while, a couple thousand kms, but we couldn't agree more. It is, by far, the nicest vehicle we have ever owned or ridden in. My wife is still ecstatic over it and can't wait to drive it daily.

The Impala continues to reign as the leading large sedan. Slide behind the wheel and you can see why. Roomy, supportive seats put you in the perfect position to access the intuitive controls. Despite its prodigious size, the Impala’s handling is responsive and secure. Road imperfections are effectively absorbed, resulting in a ride reminiscent of a pricier luxury sedan. The rear seat is roomy enough for three adults, and the ample trunk can swallow their bags with ease. Sedan shoppers browsing upmarket choices would be wise to give this smart, competitively priced alternative serious consideration.

The Impala is roomy, comfortable, quiet, and enjoyable to drive. It even rides like a luxury sedan, feeling cushy and controlled. Engine choices include a punchy 3.6-liter V6 and an adequate 2.5-liter four-cylinder, both paired with a six-speed automatic. In our tests, the V6 returned 22 mpg overall and had good acceleration. Braking is capable, and handling is secure and responsive. The full-featured cabin stays very quiet and features a sumptuous backseat. Controls are intuitive and easy to use, but rear visibility is restricted. Advanced electronic safety features are readily available. Recent updates include the addition of Apple CarPlay capability and wireless cell-phone charging

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BJD78
Just a matter of getting conditioned to the new technology. We have a pretty long standing habit of inserting and removing keys from ignitions to stop and start vehicles. At least I never lost the key, by the second day I was used to the keyless start and shutdown. I lost my key to my 09 Sonata about 3-4 years ago in Des Moines Iowa as I parked by a storm drain during a heavy rain and i dropped my FOB and key and they washed away down the drain. Luckily after waiting in a cafe for about an hour for the rain to stop there was a Hyundai dealer about 5 blocks away so I brought my registration and had to buy a new fob and key and it was about $260.00 for key and programming. I have ordered key fobs online for about $40 to $60 but at that time I did not have that luxury so paid what the dealer asked. I suppose these new keyless remotes probably cost much more than $260.00. At any rate I sure would not want to lose one.

I like Mercedes's keyless go. Has the sensors on all 4 door handles so you can lock or unlock at each door. Some other brands are more limited, either just one or two doors and sometimes one button, press once or twice to lock/unlock. Their fobs are around $500 each though, maybe slightly less if you shop around. But that's a good incentive not to lose one. Haven't lost one yet.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Consumer Reports have their place, but they approach vehicles from a very bland vanilla perspective. Some people find that fits well with their vehicle expectations. If you are into performance and not utility, their perspective might not fit with your expectations ... for example you may be willing to trade off some utility or longevity for fun to drive.

I think it was Consumer Reports that once did a review of a Mustang and one of the cons was gut wrenching acceleration. That's really the whole point of a Mustang so yeah, they have a different perspective on things.

Anyway, Mercedes doesn't really end up in rental fleets too often, but even Enterprise sells them as used cars. Only drawback with their fleet is that they tend to be base model and don't have too many options.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: BJD78

I like Mercedes's keyless go. Has the sensors on all 4 door handles so you can lock or unlock at each door. Some other brands are more limited, either just one or two doors and sometimes one button, press once or twice to lock/unlock. Their fobs are around $500 each though, maybe slightly less if you shop around. But that's a good incentive not to lose one. Haven't lost one yet.

Our Impala also has the same thing, as long as the key/fob is in your pocket you can unlock the doors by simply hitting the small pad built right into the door handle.
I also like the fact, once you walk away a certain amount of feet, with the key/fob in your pocket, the door locks automatically.
On the other side, it will also not lock, even if you do it manually, if it recognizes that the key is still inside the car somewhere.
Like has been mentioned, I'm sure losing one of these would be cheap either, however.

Last edited:
Our Impala also has the same thing, as long as the key/fob is in your pocket you can unlock the doors by simply hitting the small pad built right into the door handle.
I also like the fact, once you walk away a certain amount of feet, with the key/fob in your pocket, the door locks automatically.
On the other side, it will also not lock, even if you do it manually, if it recognizes that the key is still inside the car somewhere.
Like has been mentioned, I'm sure losing one of these would be cheap either, however.

That's one thing MB doesn't do, auto locking. It also works on the trunk too, just lift the handle and if it senses it key, it also opens. Same with the gas door cover. It's pretty good at figuring out the key is in the car, it's pretty much impossible to lock the keys in the car unless you put it in a faraday cage.

My wife's 2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership. When we were looking, lot of different dealers had these on their lots, Hyundai, Kia, etc

[/quote]

hello irv, your wife’s 2017 ex rental impala seems like a fine choice. would you mind doing a review of it with specs in a new thread? thanks!

Originally Posted By: jstert
My wife's 2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership. When we were looking, lot of different dealers had these on their lots, Hyundai, Kia, etc

hello irv, your wife’s 2017 ex rental impala seems like a fine choice. would you mind doing a review of it with specs in a new thread? thanks! [/quote]

Sure, but what exactly are you looking for? It is the Premier model, which comes with a lot of options, but it didn't come with Nav nor the Bose system and one other option either.
I wrote about it somewhat in here but if you are looking for something more specific, let me know and I'll do my best to proved that.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4570156/New,_to_us,_2017_Impala_Premie#Post4570156
Another one here, but I didn't notice it until I replied about half way down on pg-4.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483899/4
It has pro's and cons like everything does.

Last edited:
The local rental car agencies have more Hyundai and Nissan products than Toyotas - however, AAA NorCal(Gig Car Share) and Zipcar(AvisBudget Group) are mixed between Toyota and Honda with a few Jeeps and Subarus. The local Enterprise branch has a Uber-only fleet of Corollas and Prii for weekly leases. I've been seeing Uber drivers driving around on ex-rental Altimas and Sentras via their former leasing branch, more than likely on a subprime car note. With FCA no longer in the compact car game, Nissan/Hyundai/Toyota will take over. I think FCA should have kept making the 200/Dart for rental fleets.

I wonder if Toyota even cares about the dilution of their resale value - Honda was adamant about no fleet sales. Lexus dealers do buy ES and RX models en masse as service loaners(and nicely equipped ones too with navigation) and sell them as CPOs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Originally Posted By: Claud
Ho much are Nissan making on fleet sales?. If it's a decent margin then it won't bomb the residuals like the Mopar and Chevrolet cars that were sold almost at cost.

Claud.

They are rental fodder to keep the plants running, they probably give the cars away, only fleet which might be profitable are trucks sold to utilities..

There is a reason the domestics are pulling back unprofitable fleet sale, also fleet kills residuals and trade in values.

Do they give them away?.Anyone on this forum able to give any facts on this?. Some UK rental companies will rent you a BMW. I doubt BMW have to sell to the rental companies at deep discount, they are in high demand anyway.

Claud.

I am in the fleet business... although on the government fleet side. Still, I get approached by a lot of rental companies that want to take advantage of my government pricing and I am familiar with their business model. If Enterprises buys through my contract (and I lease back through them), then they get a better discount. So much so that I can purchase some pickups trucks for less cash than a three year old model at 30K miles. Then they sell it for market price and make money buying new vehicles and then selling them for used.

Rental firms are really looking to make money on the "used" car sale side. For them, it is all about resale margins. You average rental fee is just going to cover costs until they unload the vehicle for profit.

If they can buy a Fusion at $18K and then unload it in 1-3 years for $12K, it is $6K gap they have to fill with rental fees. So if they are renting and making about $0.30-$0.40 per mile per 40K miles ($12-$16K), they are looking to make $6-10K profit in the resale minus PM/other costs. Chances are, your "average Joe" are likely paying closer to $0.50 when you take the "weekend" fees into consideration.

They really look at the used market for determining their fleets. Detroit used to offer big incentives for them, not so much now. So, as a result you see rental fleets branching out. Even if it is more expensive initially to buy a Camry (say at 25K) as long as they can unload it at $19K, it really does not matter if it was a Ford or a Kia or a Toyota. The initial cost is irrelevant... but the resale is. The rental companies are not going to run it much past the warranty so as long as the dealer is fixing any breakdowns, who cares.

This is what made old Impalas so appealing at the rental counters. The late 2000s variant was bought for about $17-18K, new (well optioned too)! GM discounted it so much that it was really easy to minimize the depreciation costs despite falling off a cliff! Now, Detroit is not dealing those discounts to them as much but the depreciation is still significant. So other companies are options. Hyundai has always been there but because there is limited Government purchasing, you are not going to see as much. In addition, Hyundai and Kia are holding value better than previously so they are more attractive if you are in to buy/sell fleet management. Nissan is aggressively going after fleet sales. I have two in my fleet as a results. Cost are down and resale is decent-ish.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm surprised there aren't more rentals on there.

Nissans are either short term rentals (enterprise, budget) or long term rentals (lease).

I don't think anyone actually buys one.

Whole article here, maybe?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12...s/#more-1606086

My wife's 2017 Chevy Impala is a rental return. We purchased it with only 20,000 kms on it from a Ford dealership. When we were looking, lot of different dealers had these on their lots, Hyundai, Kia, etc.

We were nervous, no doubt about it, but all we talked to mentioned they only pick the best ones as no one will purchase one if it has a Carstar record or other info about damage/paint issues.
I went over our car with a fine tooth comb, and other than a retouched paint chip here or there, it is in excellent shape.
Mind you, we have no idea how it was run, but with full warranty still remaining, we took a chance based on the price of it.

Like the dealer said where we purchased it from, things are real easy to find out on the internet today and we have a reputation to uphold.
So far so good, but not a lot of miles on it yet.

took a road trip last summer with my wife and daughter in my son in laws 2016 Impala with the V6 from Colorado to Vegas to L.A and San Diego and of course back to Colorado.
Spent 2 weeks in this car and its a great road cruiser.
The only complaint i had was that the back seat cushions were a bit too firm.

I had a fairly-loaded Camry SE as a rental a few years ago...OK car, but the tacked-on "sport" trim did not fit the otherwise-bland car at all. (And the 18" wheels/tires made for a too-harsh ride.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back