Rental Review - 2020 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GZRider
Come to the dark side (RWD), the 370z and g37s have 330hp and a 6mt.

That ain't a 4 or 5 door .

We need the "blend in" sleeper the way we drive.

But the G37s sedan did in fact come with 4 doors and a 6mt! Only downside is that you could not get a manual with the AWD, that would be a killer combo. The sedans do fly below the radar now, I think it is thanks to all these riced out from the factory Kia's and Honda's ect.

[Linked Image]

In all seriousness, buy what you like and what makes sense for you. If you do a ton of miles the fuel use of the the VQ37 would be pricey (still worth it in my opinion)I was just trying to point out financially certain used Nissans seem to make more sense then others. A near stock good condition 2013 or older 370z or G37 or even Frontier Pro 4x is now only depreciating with mileage and abuse, not time. The value of the Altima or Murano has no where to go but down by just sitting in the garage.

Well the class action settlement made by Nissan covers 2013-2016 Nissan Altimas with a CVT. It was strictly about the Nissan Altima CVT. THERE was a legal settlement that Nissan paid for all repairs and added a 84 month, 84,000 mile warranty. But that ended last month.

It is possibly safe to assume the 2017+ models are safe.

Originally Posted by GZRider
The rental places sell the base engine Altima's cheap because they know in another 3 years they will be the $4995 special at a buy here pay here store simply do to the quantity made and the price point the engines and transmissions were built to.

Around there, they'll become a Uber or Lyft after being at the airport fleet - sometimes sooner than that, I saw a new Altima with Uber/SFO TNC placards on it just this week roaming around downtown SF.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I got a Nissan SR with the 3.5 and holy crap was that fun. My wife drives a 2018 rogue and when my son gets out of college I'm getting the SR.

Nissan never made a SR 3.5. You are probably think of the VQ 3.5. SR20DE along with the VQ engines. Are world class.

The QG and QR (above) and are among the worst engines made by anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
I got a Nissan SR with the 3.5 and holy crap was that fun. My wife drives a 2018 rogue and when my son gets out of college I'm getting the SR.

Nissan never made a SR 3.5. You are probably think of the VQ 3.5. SR20DE along with the VQ engines. Are world class.

There was an Altima 3.5SR that was the top trim level. It has the VQ35DE. It was one of the quickest family cars you can buy besides the Accord/Fusion V6 and the 2007-on Camry V6.

Originally Posted by Al

What was wrong with the QG 1.8 in the B15 00-05 Sentra? Mom and sister had an 02 and an 03 and put a bunch of miles on them, sold them, and they are still going towards 200,000 miles on them. Not doubting you, just curious about some of the problems out there on these.

We had 90's Sentra's with the 1.6 and they were bulletproof. Ran and ran and got really nice fuel economy on them.

Last edited:
I have a '20 Altima 2.5 rental right now. Compared to the last rental I had, ('20 Camry SE) the Altima has more NVH mainly from the engine, the transmission 'shifts' a little wonky, often lugging the engine. The seats are a bit more comfortable, the steering feels overboosted, fuel economy seems to be running a few MPG less in under most conditions.

Overall, not a bad car.

I recently stopped by a local large transmission repair shop and asked the owner if Nissan has fixed the problems with their CVT's and he said no, they still fail as often as they have in the past.

Originally Posted by Al

QR is great engine. The million mile Frontier was powered by its original QR25.

The initial examples of the QR got a bad rep because of faulty cat converter butterfly screws backing off and being ingested into the motor as well as cat material at times which ultimately lead to extreme oil burning and destroyed them. Problems were solved by 07. The truck versions of the QR never had those problems.

And yes there was a SR trim Altima.

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
I bought the 2019 Altima 2.5 SL AWD last year and now have 9,500 miles on it. It is my second Altima, having had the 2008 SL for 11 years and 128,000 miles with no problems, just routine maintenance. I agree basic trims are, well, basic - but the fully loaded SL trim is as luxurious as any luxury car I have driven, even better than the BMW 530e I rented in Scotland last year which cost twice as much (and which had the most uncomfortable seats ever!). The ride is smooth and quiet, the seats very comfortable, and it averages 30 mpg even with AWD. On the eight 450+ mile highway road trips I have taken with this car so far I have hit as high as 39 mpg (actual calculation, not car computer MPG).

MSRP fully loaded as below was $34,225, but after working 10 local dealers against each other by email and phone I got mine for $29,500. If you are considering a Nissan, be aware their fiscal year ends on March 31st and they need to move them as it approaches. I bought mine on March 27th and it was a lovefest. I couldn't be more happy with this car.

Here is a photo of my car in my driveway and a list of its features.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the interior from their catalog:

[Linked Image]

Nice part of NJ Tom.....Sussex County? I owned a 1992 Sentra SER....a great car....Nissan went downhill when they got in bed with Renault...no wonder they want to put Ghosn in jail....

No, not in NJ anymore. I should have clarified that, while my screen name is Tom NJ from when I lived in NJ, I now live in a little one-stoplight mountain town in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Happily retired, surrounded by cows on three sides, and with a 180° view of the mountains, the scenery and lifestyle here sure beats NJ! These photos are from my front porch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Thanks for the review but .... yawn.

And, no you don't want to drive the new Jetta pile of junk.
I have one parked in the driveway right now.

I dont know if anybody makes a fun, really sporty midsized sedan for under 23K anymore.

Audi? BMW?

Alfa?

Under $23,000? Why that arbitrary number?

I paid $25,500 for my 2016 WRX, brand-new, in April 2016 (MSRP $27,900, I believe). I thought that was a TON of sports car for the money. The next-best bang for the buck "sporty" car, IMHO, the Honda Civic Si, would get spanked all the way around a racetrack (or up and down a crooked mountain road) by a WRX.

How much is an EcoBoost Mustang 6MT going for these days??

Imagine spending $29,500 on a 2019 Altima SL one year ago, and today Hertz is selling dozens of them a year older than that, for $13,000. Talk about a depreciating asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back