Recommend me an oil. 2017 WRX STI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see...from their site about the 5w30.

Recommended for API SN/SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4, GM dexos1® (GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M), BMW LL-01

So, they say the oil is compatibe but it doesnt have certification. Is that what you are saying?

Originally Posted By: fredrik94087

Recommended for API SN/SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4, GM dexos1® (GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M), BMW LL-01

So, they say the oil is compatibe but it doesnt have certification. Is that what you are saying?

I believe he is saying that it could theoretically effect any warranty claims on a new vehicle...

Originally Posted By: fredrik94087

Red Line is recommended for applications that call for those specs but you won't find the API donut or the Starburst on a bottle of Red Line.

I would run Red Line over any GF5 oil, but it sounds like the OP wants to follow the owner's manual recommendations even though the recommendations are a bit of a gray area (thicker viscosity required in hot temps, "5W40 conventional" acceptable for replenishment, use an oil that is API SN Resource Conserving OR one that has the Starburst, etc).

I have a 2010 subaru sti, I have run a little bit of everything in it. Starting out mine had conventional FF. Once I could switch to synthetic I did but just let subaru do it until I was out of warranty. After that I went to a shop and brought rotella t6 for them to use. Then I found a specialty shop and did some light modding and tuning. They had run motul in it for about 4 oil changes.

Now Im at 70,000km and figure from this point on Ill do my own oil changes with edge 0w40, m1 0w40, or t6 5w40. Whatever I can get cheapest. Ive never done a used oil analysis, but my intervals have always been at 5,000km. Subrina's almost 8 years old now and Im comfortable that at these short intervals any oil should be fine. If youre that worried about the warranty, just let subaru use their oil.

Firstly, welcome to bitog! And congrats on your new sti. Sweet ride.

As you're under warranty, keep all receipts and service paperwork in a folder or binder. I keep even accessory and mods receipts if I decide to sell in the future.

Surely you have an oil change indicator/service reminder and I'd recommend you run the factory fill until the service light activates.

Amsoil OE 5w30 is API starburst'd and ilsac and is a [censored] good oil. So is Castrol Edge(black and gold), Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, and Mobil1.

I drive a 14 Evo X GSR. It's spec'd for 5W30 also. And I've used just about every manufacturer 5W30 synthetic on the market. Are any of them bad? No. Do they all work fine? Sure.

My butt dyno says it likes(or I prefer) Castrol and Amsoil. M1 comes in third and I'd place Pennzoil Platinum fourth. Again this is all butt dyno. My warranty is up. And I'm gonna try Redline 10W30 my next oci.

Redline advertises their 5W30 and 10W30 to have a thicker viscosity than a 10W40 when at full operating temperature. Folks who have used redline states it's thick for a 30 weight. I believe em. This would be an ideal oil for track conditions and aggressive street use.

To add, in regards to Amsoil. Skip the Amsoil XL and Signature Series oils. While XL is API starburst'd and ilsac SN approved, it's designed for 10K miles or 6 months. Amsoil SS, while designed for 25k or one year, is not API or ilsac sn approved. They're both excellent extended drain oils. But since you're under warranty, I'd use Amsoil OE. And pocket the savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back