help me pick a HPL Oil

HPL 5w40 CK4, like @wwillson runs in his wife’s Charger.
The Durango is running HPL CK-4 5w-20, while the Charger is running HPL CK-4 5w-30. 5w-20 CK-4 will be the going forward oil in the Charger when it gets changed. I'm going to send in a 34k miles sample from the Durango and a 3 year 16k miles sample from the Charger very soon. We'll see what gets changed and what continues to get run.

In Texas, the No VII Euro 5W-30, which has an HTHS of 3.566 looks like a winner.
This is what’s in my 3.5 EcoBoost, just rolled over 10,100 miles on the No VII and 17,500 miles on the Fram Endurance 10575. Will probably drain at 15k and swap the filter, hopefully that’s springtime. Will most likely send in VOA & UOA to compare what’s shown up during use.

haven’t heard back from HPL yet. based on results here, i’m inbetween the no VII euro 5w-30 or Premium Euro 5w-40. i’m stuck on the 5w-40 for that hths of 4 vs the 3.556 of the no VII.

haven’t heard back from HPL yet. based on results here, i’m inbetween the no VII euro 5w-30 or Premium Euro 5w-40. i’m stuck on the 5w-40 for that hths of 4 vs the 3.556 of the no VII.
Either one will work stellar. If it’s any consolation, HPL’s fleet customer runs 12,000 EcoBoosts in Arizona, NM, Texas, and Cali on the “plain” PCMO 5w30, at 15-20k OCIs with 5k filter changes.

Point being, the “entry level” HPL PCMO will outperform any top-level WM shelf stock. You only need to go above the PCMO if there are specific needs above and beyond normal usage.

They’ll get back to you soon- you can always call them for a faster answer. 👍🏻

david got back with me, he says just run the PCMO 5w-40 so that’s what i’m going to do. thank you everyone for the knowledge and advice!

IMG_5199.jpeg

i’m going to do the accord at 10k and silverado at 8k for their first OCI’s. i’ll send samples off at that point to judge what to do for the next run.

I'm planning doing 10k mile drains instead of the usual 5k with HPL oils next year. It cost me around 40-50 dollars for an oil change jug/filter bundle from Autozone. These oils which are proven here to run clean and clean as they go should make it safer going on extended drains. The oil costed me around 140 after shipping with discount, compared to around 200 dollars total on last 4 oil changes. I got the 12 quart box meaning it could last me 4 drains on the Yaris to even stretching it out to 2025 which can save lots of time and money going forward. Only concern is swapping the filter every 5k on the initial run to see how much deposit removal and loading is going on to keep the engine safe until its time to leave it on longer when fully clean.

I won't go in blind with extended drains and will sample some oil to a lab between 5000 miles to see how well it held up before sticking with extended drains fully on forward.

Last edited:
when you do the math on it, even if you still changed your oil at 5k miles. in my case, 4 gallons was $180 to my door. divide that by 4 and you get $45 a gallon. it isn’t that crazy expensive compared to other premium oils you find in AAP, Auto zone etc. i get my OG Fram titanium’s for around $2 each thanks to speed perks rewards so i’m not losing anything here considering i’m doubling both vehicles OCI’s.

david got back with me, he says just run the PCMO 5w-40 so that’s what i’m going to do. thank you everyone for the knowledge and advice!
Very cool! Are you able to share some of his insights into why he said to go with the PCMO 5W-40 instead of the 5W-30 No VII?

Same reason he gave me when I ask about the no-VII Euro 30 vs. regular Euro 5W40 in my Sportwagen. Not sure why in this application folks would recommend the no-VII.

Last edited:
Same reason he gave me when I ask about the no-VII Euro 30 vs. regular Euro 5W40 in my Sportwagen. Not sure why in this application folks would recommend the no-VII.
Which applications would call for No VII 5W-30 then?

Which applications would call for No VII 5W-30 then?
TBH, no clue. I'm not sure what the facination here on BITOG with the no-VII thing is but hey, whatever floats folks' boats...I've thought about trying it in my son's car. Seems like the high-quality VIIs in the Euro blends they make should work in any application where maintaining viscosity is critical. Basically my HPL Euro 5W40 has a higher HTHS than any of their no-VII line so take your pick...reducing visosity shearing (that is really low-to-no anyway with their oils) or have more HTHS which to me is more important. I'm not sure what HPL/Dave would actually recommend the no-VII for w/r to application vs. these Euro or Super car oils?

TBH, no clue. I'm not sure what the facination here on BITOG with the no-VII thing is but hey, whatever floats folks' boats...I've thought about trying it in my son's car. Seems like the high-quality VIIs in the Euro blends they make should work in any application where maintaining viscosity is critical. Basically my HPL Euro 5W40 has a higher HTHS than any of their no-VII line so take your pick...reducing visosity shearing (that is really low-to-no anyway with their oils) or have more HTHS which to me is more important. I'm not sure what HPL/Dave would actually recommend the no-VII for w/r to application vs. these Euro or Super car oils?
I think it was spawned by the obsession with base oil viscosity, borne out of Gokhan's calculations and HTFS modelling.

David with HPL likely gained a life long customer with his response. instead of upselling me when he very easily could’ve, he told me what i actually needed and integrity is very important to me. he highlighted that their products do not have a shear issue and i trust him. i would rather spend my money with an american owned and operated company that are focused on the best of the best.

Back