Can you help me better understand why women want a SUV over a sedan?

Which is unfortunate for those of us that like buying sedans since the selection is dwindling based on demand. I have an SUV which is great for us (wife's daily), but for my daily I'd never want anything but a car.
It took me to buying a full size truck and driving it 5 years to get there. A VW Golf is a normal family car in many countries. Here it's looked at as a tiny subcompact and not a consideration for someone to drive because it's too small and dangerous in a sea of trucks and SUVs. That's only exacerbated the problem because so many feel they need a bigger vehicle than the next guy to feel safer.

A friend of mine's Daughter wants a vehicle for her 16th bithday, and asked for my help. I located a flooded MB AWD sedan, that I can rebuild and probably have to her for $2k out the door (see picture). Her response was she does not want a sedan, and would take a worse shape little SUV, like a Toyota RAV4.

Yesterday, when I arrived home from a week long work trip, first thing I was told walking in the door was my middle Son's wife told my Wife she wants a SUV. I said, I can get her a sedan for free (I will pay for it), response back- has to be a SUV.

What am I missing here? Why is a small SUV so important to a woman in her 20s, and a 16 year old, over a nice sedan, at a deep savings or for free?
The real question is why would she want something from a Peasant badge, a Toyota RAV4 vs a premium badge? Especially a high school teenager, where image is everything.

The real question is why would she want something from a Peasant badge, a Toyota RAV4 vs a premium badge? Especially a high school teenager, where image is everything.

I wondered that same thing.

A teenager who wants a Toyota instead of a Mercedes?!?!?!

Was she dropped on her head anlot.

Should have offered her a yugo, she would have been all over it.

I don't get suvs...to me they are boring and do nothing well.
Nothing well can still be jack of all trades. I have no love for our CRV but my sedans won’t swallow trash cans, I guess I could pay for curbside pickup or hook up a trailer to my sedan—or just take the vehicle with a big boot.

Wife is looking at getting another dehumidifier, I’m thinking, will it fit in the backseat? I don’t want to drive the crv that far…

Used to have a fwd wagon, which I loved, but even with “good” snow tires it could have its bad days in snow. I remember with distinction being stuck at the bottom of a steep driveway, unable to climb, while all my friends with awd and all seasons took it with ease. Corner case I know, I could handily win an mpg race, but no one vehicle does it all very well.

Liked my wagon but last time I was shopping it was all about price, so sedan it was.

A friend of mine's Daughter wants a vehicle for her 16th bithday, and asked for my help. I located a flooded MB AWD sedan, that I can rebuild and probably have to her for $2k out the door (see picture). Her response was she does not want a sedan, and would take a worse shape little SUV, like a Toyota RAV4.

Yesterday, when I arrived home from a week long work trip, first thing I was told walking in the door was my middle Son's wife told my Wife she wants a SUV. I said, I can get her a sedan for free (I will pay for it), response back- has to be a SUV.

What am I missing here? Why is a small SUV so important to a woman in her 20s, and a 16 year old, over a nice sedan, at a deep savings or for free?

View attachment 152225
Simple answer: SUVs are cool, sedans arent.

How steep are the rises and dips in your local roads? o_O
Not extremely steep. The road to my neighborhood connects to the main road near a wash, which is just deep enough to hide a small car if you're near the ground. 2 feet higher and you can see in the bottom of the wash and make a left turn, otherwise you have to wait a few seconds for any cars in the wash to come out.

For many people, speaking from personal experience, the SUV is a lateral ingress/egress unlike cars which are lowering in and climbing out. For some that is a MAJOR comfort factor, especially as one ages and the climbing out becomes more challenging. Also, SUV's tend to have a higher door opening so one doesn't have to duck their head as much, another comfort factor. Beyond the comfort/convenience advantage there is the visibility advantage also mentioned.

Nothing well can still be jack of all trades. I have no love for our CRV but my sedans won’t swallow trash cans, I guess I could pay for curbside pickup or hook up a trailer to my sedan—or just take the vehicle with a big boot.

Wife is looking at getting another dehumidifier, I’m thinking, will it fit in the backseat? I don’t want to drive the crv that far…

Used to have a fwd wagon, which I loved, but even with “good” snow tires it could have its bad days in snow. I remember with distinction being stuck at the bottom of a steep driveway, unable to climb, while all my friends with awd and all seasons took it with ease. Corner case I know, I could handily win an mpg race, but no one vehicle does it all very well.

Liked my wagon but last time I was shopping it was all about price, so sedan it was.
Which many women won’t have anything to do with. Garbage can? Dump? Chores? That’s for the beaten husband to do.

It’s the dumbing down of society; the giving in to every whim and comfort at the expense of economy and efficiency.

Seating position has some to do with it. Entry and access too. But for a kid?

Then there was the whole stupid “my parents drove a station wagon so I can’t”, which morphed into “my parents drove a minivan so I can’t”, which morphed into feminized males trying to prove their manliness by driving a car based SUV. All I can do is chuckle.

Which many women won’t have anything to do with. Garbage can? Dump? Chores? That’s for the beaten husband to do.

It’s the dumbing down of society; the giving in to every whim and comfort at the expense of economy and efficiency.

Seating position has some to do with it. Entry and access too. But for a kid?

Then there was the whole stupid “my parents drove a station wagon so I can’t”, which morphed into “my parents drove a minivan so I can’t”, which morphed into feminized males trying to prove their manliness by driving a car based SUV. All I can do is chuckle.
That's funny, I've always liked my dad's cars and wanted similar ones for myself. He did drive an SUV but it was no street queen, there wasn't a straight body panel on that thing when he sold it

Back