Rear brake pads for my 300ZX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What's everyone's opinion on Wagner Thermo Quiet pads?

Hit or miss. From my experience with them they can be good, I've heard no complaints from two friends I've installed both the ceramic option and semi-metallics for a Chevy Tahoe and old-school Explorer respectively. Wagner is an Ford supplier for the Motorcraft line, so I'm not surprised.

On imports, it's YMMV. Squealed and ground from the start on a Honda, little friction noise but an annoying clunk on a Lexus, and noisy on a Nissan Quest(which ironically enough did fine on old-school Bendix). The ones I've installed on friend's Subaru worked fine even though they didn't fit right in the caliper bracket until recently. They now squeal and there's a judder in the steering wheel upon braking.

Couldn't remember if I'd updated this thread :p I ended up buying the cheapest Duralast pads from Autozone (the only "in-stock" pads anywhere near me) for $20 and a packet of $1 pad lube and installed them. I absolutely hate doing the mail order thing. Took me every bit of 10 minutes. Brakes are silent and tight as a drum! I swear,this is the easiest car to work on I've ever owned.

Couldn't remember if I'd updated this thread :p I ended up buying the cheapest Duralast pads from Autozone (the only "in-stock" pads anywhere near me) for $20 and a packet of $1 pad lube and installed them. I absolutely hate doing the mail order thing. Took me every bit of 10 minutes. Brakes are silent and tight as a drum! I swear,this is the easiest car to work on I've ever owned.

A 300ZX is the easiest car to work on you've ever owned? What else do/did you work on before the Z?
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

I heard those cars were very difficult, especially the turbos!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

A 300ZX is the easiest car to work on you've ever owned? What else do/did you work on before the Z?
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

I've got the N/A,the factory seemed to have forgotten to install my two turbos haha
laugh.gif
They're really basic uncomplicated cars (at least the N/A's are). Timing belt was a breeze too! I replaced every piece of rubber while I was in there. All hoses,belts,seals,everything.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

lol.gif
crazy2.gif

They can be quite the PITA, Probably one of the toughest longitudinally mounted engines to work on. Back in the 90's....It was a running joke that doing Head Gaskets on a Northstar or a VG30DE paid about the same.

Did you wire brush the clips on both sides, and clean them up well?

Gotta love that 300! Always durable and cheap to fix when it needs it.

I had a 70 240Z and it was a dream to fix. Nissan used to be good quality...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nissan used to be good quality...

I agree!! Their 100% Made in Japan cars were top quality. I wonder how the current ones are compared to the old school ones? I've been looking around to "maybe" buy a 370Z.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Did you wire brush the clips on both sides, and clean them up well?

Oh yeah,absolutely! I cleaned up the entire brake assembly really well while I had it apart. That's the maintanence ocd in me
laugh.gif
Every time I do an oil change I clean up everything I can reach on it's underbelly too.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nissan used to be good quality...

I agree!! Their 100% Made in Japan cars were top quality. I wonder how the current ones are compared to the old school ones? I've been looking around to "maybe" buy a 370Z.

The 1985-1988 Nissan Maxima was 100% made in Japan and it was awful. My mom had one and some of our friends had them. I think Nissan engineers were forced to make a new FWD car in a very short period of time, and that was the problem. The 1989-1994 Maxima was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back