Wear indicator on rear brake pad question

My rear brake pads and discs just arrived from RA and noticed only one pad has a wear indicator. I’m certain it goes on the inside, but does it matter if it goes on the driver or passenger side?

2015 Subaru Crosstrek
105K miles
Centric pads and discs.

Thanks!

Passenger side, of course.

Actually you have a bad set. There's supposed to be at least one pad with a wear indicator on each wheel-- often both pads on each wheel since pad wear can be uneven. Of course many aftermarket pads don't have them at all.

I never found much value in monitoring one or two out of four total pads. I'd just toss it.

First off, what kind of wear indicator? The sometimes metal thingy that makes a squeal when the pad is thin? Or a component of the electrical indication system some cars have?

If it is the electrical system then many cars only have two, one on the front and one on the rear. Which one is it?

Then he will have the low pad light warning full time.
I'm pretty sure the wear indicator that @Jeep_Riot is referring to, is just the screecher stick, not an electronic wear sensor.

His car is a '15 Crosstrek, not an Audi or such.

I will say that to me, brake wear indicators and sensors are intended for those that don't do their own maintenance on their cars. If you do your own service, then hopefully, checking brake pad thickness is one of the many things that is inspected on a regular basis. You should know when your brake pads need replacement, long before the wear indicator or sensor lets you know.

Last edited:
No idea what you're talking about? I've never even heard of a warning light. This is a little metal clip that scrapes on the rotor when the pad wears down.

We need clarification about whether the OP is talking about the squealer metal thing or the pad wear sensor.

I assumed he meant the latter, maybe not.

No idea what you're talking about? I've never even heard of a warning light. This is a little metal clip that scrapes on the rotor when the pad wears down.
Lucky you. I wish that was still standard on all vehicles. I don't care for the electronic brake wear sensors that grossly miscalculate the remaining brake pad life. My rear brakes have been estimated to have less than 3,100 miles of life left. It's been displaying that for 14,000 miles! I think the first stage of the sensor gets triggered when the pad is worn to half thickness. The computer should be able to project the remaining miles under the same driving conditions reasonably because it knows how many miles it took to get to the first stage trigger. Then again, many mechanics want to change pads that are half-won and still have 30k miles of whatever life is left. The little rotor scrapers are in my opinion the best solution. Simple, inexpensive, reliable.

My rear brake pads and discs just arrived from RA and noticed only one pad has a wear indicator. I’m certain it goes on the inside, but does it matter if it goes on the driver or passenger side?

2015 Subaru Crosstrek
105K miles
Centric pads and discs.

Thanks!
It goes in the inside position on the pass side but I don't think it really matters which side.

We need clarification about whether the OP is talking about the squealer metal thing or the pad wear sensor.

I assumed he meant the latter, maybe not.
Agreed I believe he means the squealer. Only once did we hit it…last change on wife’s rear right. I thought 2/4 pads have them, one for each side….and always thought inner without knowing why, maybe can’t see that side…

I reused the Lexus wear sensors 2x…but I have Raybestos spares (factory is over $100 I think)

Yep look at this tomfoolery.

Just looking at random RA images for the vehicle in question, some rear pad sets have two screech springs, some have only one. 🤷‍♂️

I pulled up a picture of a set of OEM pads and they show wear indicators for each set of pads. Looking at the offerings from RockAuto, it's hit or miss as to whether you get two wear indicators or not.

If you're replacing the OEM pads and they have wear indicators on each wheel then that is what I'd go back with it. If it means buying from the dealer then so be it.

I used P/N 26696-fj000 for reference.

Subaru pad set RR.JPG

Lucky you. I wish that was still standard on all vehicles. I don't care for the electronic brake wear sensors that grossly miscalculate the remaining brake pad life.
I learn something new every day! Stopped fixing cars for a living in 2005. Electronic pad wear sensors seem like a solution in search of a problem.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is the first time I've seen a set of pads that only have one wear indicator. How much money could Centric have saved?

pads.jpg

Back