Brake pads for a 2017 Lexus RX350

It's a 4500 pound SUV. It's not going to stop like a 3500 pound sport sedan just by changing brake pads. Maybe install a big brake kit if they even make one for it, but that's a few thousand you don't want to spend.
Actually the pads will make quite a difference going to something more aggressive. Larger brakes help dissipate heat for repeated slow downs but won't really change the feel or panic stop distance (which is based on your tires).

The above vehicle was bought a year ago from the original owner. The previous owner had the front and rear brakes replaced at an auto repair shop that used unknown brake components. The vehicle stops with no shakes, but to me, it doesn’t have enough bite.

I was thinking of replacing just the pads myself and looked at the Raybestos EHT Element 3 pads for the front and rear of this vehicle.

I’ve read posts on here people praising them.

Has anyone had experience with these on this platform or similar Highlander?

They are very inexpensive on Amazon and Rockauto, almost making me nervous as to why ($26.54 for the front and $19.32 for the rear).

I know many would recommend the OEM pads but they are expensive and I would need to buy shims for them as the originals were thrown out when the shop replaced the brakes for the previous owner with aftermarket pads.

This vehicle doesn’t get driven often but when it does, I’d like a little more grip from the brakes.

Thanks
If you want more bite, try the Dynamic Friction 3000 semi metallic pads on rockauto.com. They will probably have a little more dust and noise but may have the performance you are looking for.

Many here seem pleased with the Raybestos Element3 EHT pads that you mentioned. Definitely are priced right, so also not a bad option to try.

Whichever route you go, please update this thread with a followup.

When we first got the RX from my folks, the brakes were...terrifyingly bad. Just OE pads/rotors. The Powerstop package I got for it improved it so much it's almost not believable. No idea whey the OE stuff was so terrible.

Toyota/Lexus dealers have 2 different grades of brake pads. One made to compete against the AA, NAPA, etc and their
own OE top of the line pads. BIG difference in price last time I checked. They will sell you the lower grade unless you ask for the "real"
ones.

When I test drove an RX for a $75 gift card, I noticed the rear discs were solid, not ventilated. This makes me wonder, if Toyota doesn't think it's that big of a deal, maybe it isn't? I had thought most modern cars had ventilated discs. I know that all 3 of mine do in the rear, and one is a Lexus. maybe we're overthinking it, and a Lexus RX can fit into the good/better/best model. Not really necessary to split hairs in the best category.

During that test drive, it happened to be with the GM of the dealer (proving they have good customer service didn't want me waiting because all associates were busy.). He asked me what I thought of this new RX (it was the L model) and I said it was terrible. Then he said really, how so? We were standing still, and I turned the steering wheel from lock to lock with my pinkie. I said the steering has zero feel whatsoever, and is overassisted. He said yeah, you're one of those people who likes driving--most of our customers aren't into that.

Toyota/Lexus dealers have 2 different grades of brake pads. One made to compete against the AA, NAPA, etc and their
own OE top of the line pads. BIG difference in price last time I checked. They will sell you the lower grade unless you ask for the "real"
ones.
Noticed Nissan did this 20 years ago. GM has always had 3 grades. I think even BMW does it today. BMW used to always do pads/rotors together. Even when maintenance was free for 4 years like on my 2007. Now they have a pad only job for some astronomical price. It's too bad that "what they don't know will increase our margins" seems to be prevalent now on all brands.

My car after the dealer OE replacement (they even replaced the caliper bolts as supposed to and sensor wire) lacked the shims! There was a clunk which I asked the indie to diagnose. Sure enough it was the shims not being there allowing the pads to slide more than by design. There are 8 per axle. Not cheap either. Nor the bolts. Not sure if a rx has fixed calipers, tend to doubt it. I recall a rx-l having solid rear discs
Toyota OE pads don’t come with shims or hardware. You need to buy those separately for both warranty and the AZxxx TCMC lines.

Honda, Subaru and Nissan include shims.

The above vehicle was bought a year ago from the original owner. The previous owner had the front and rear brakes replaced at an auto repair shop that used unknown brake components. The vehicle stops with no shakes, but to me, it doesn’t have enough bite.

I was thinking of replacing just the pads myself and looked at the Raybestos EHT Element 3 pads for the front and rear of this vehicle.

I’ve read posts on here people praising them.

Has anyone had experience with these on this platform or similar Highlander?

They are very inexpensive on Amazon and Rockauto, almost making me nervous as to why ($26.54 for the front and $19.32 for the rear).

I know many would recommend the OEM pads but they are expensive and I would need to buy shims for them as the originals were thrown out when the shop replaced the brakes for the previous owner with aftermarket pads.

This vehicle doesn’t get driven often but when it does, I’d like a little more grip from the brakes.

Thanks
What did you ended up getting?

Back