Re refined oils

For the record we’ve been a SK distributor since they were actually called Breslube.

And their only product was an AW68 that looked like mud.

This was sometime in the 80’s. Before me needless to say.

Then we were involved in building another re-refinery much later on. In mid-late 2000’s.

Somethings to think about with used oils / re-refining process.

Used oil prices are connected to natural gas prices in the wholesale market. So as natural gas goes up and down, used oil prices go up and down. The other two primary outlets for used oil is asphalt extender and bunker fuels. (Used in ships / power generation / asphalt production/ concrete production / etc.)

If natural gas sky rockets, the amount of re-refined base stocks will go down. As there will be an increase in demand (typically) for bunker fuels. If natural gas decreases, you will typically see an increase of re-refined base oils on the market.

However, this also has changed, slightly. In the modern re-refined process, you create a VGO (vacuum gasoil) in the process of re-refining. I have a neat “road map” of the re-refining process somewhere. And a cool YouTube video again, somewhere, that I’ll have to dig up about thin-filmed evaporator re-refining. Picture and video now below! 👇

VGO’s can go right into the production of distillates (diesel fuel primarily) in the normal refinery process. And this can extend the a normal refinery’s output of distillates. Which, currently is extremely profitable to do, as diesel fuel on the wholesale market is still $3+. While base oils are currently collapsing in price.

So, do I expect to see massive growth in the re-refined market? No. It’s very expensive to get testing done on base oils, to determine compatibility, to develop adpacks for so that you can get OEM approvals, etc. With being limited to being a group II (+ if you want to say) - it has its markets but there is going to be a fall off in the PCEO business.

Add in how volatile the market for this product is and its competitors in normal group II’s - well, it’s going to be limited. There’s other demands for the same product.

Yes, you can get an extremely high quality base stock out of a good re-refinery. I’ve seen out of our (former) refinery 125+ VI 4cst base stocks. The same refinery also burped out some real crap at times, because the feed stocks might have been a bunch of group 1 gear oils from a steel mill. Or something like that. Good feed stocks in = good base oil out. Bad feed stocks in = bad base oil out.

In terms how clean the base stock is… it has the potential to be just as good as any other group 2 on the market. No worries about that. You’re re-hydro treating it. So it’s clean.

The inconsistency in base stocks also makes it hard for toll blenders to use the base stocks reliably. The testing involved, tweaking, etc. Fine for hydraulics or R&O’s. Having a wild VI range for a PCEO - not great.

As for Valvoline nextgen… it actually was born out of my formulation. For our house brand, we were partners with a major quick lube chain that offered our brand, but called it and marketed it as eco. We partners with a used oil collector, who co-owned the re-refinery with us. And we offered a cradle to grave road map for this product. We did a cool film series and advertising campaign. Educating consumers on how the process worked. From birth (re-refining) to blending, to end user, to death and rebirth (re-refining.)

It was pretty popular for several years. Valvoline got onboard with the idea. I actually trucked a substantial amount of the base oil to their blend plant for it initially.

But re-refined group 2s are out in the market place. I can’t say who I know buys them for confidentiality reasons. But you have a chance in finding them in any synthetic blend PCEO. Depends on the market conditions (see above reasons why.)

3365D6B1-51F6-4366-A681-E2D3B0B7A829.png

Last edited:

Used oil prices are connected to natural gas prices in the wholesale market. So as natural gas goes up and down, used oil prices go up and down. The other two primary outlets for used oil is asphalt extender and bunker fuels. (Used in ships / power generation / asphalt production/ concrete production / etc.)

If natural gas sky rockets, the amount of re-refined base stocks will go down. As there will be an increase in demand (typically) for bunker fuels. If natural gas decreases, you will typically see an increase of re-refined base oils on the market.

However, this also has changed, slightly. In the modern re-refined process, you create a VGO (vacuum gasoil) in the process of re-refining. I have a neat “road map” of the re-refining process somewhere. And a cool YouTube video again, somewhere, that I’ll have to dig up about thin-filmed evaporator re-refining. Picture and video now below! 👇

VGO’s can go right into the production of distillates (diesel fuel primarily) in the normal refinery process. And this can extend the a normal refinery’s output of distillates. Which, currently is extremely profitable to do, as diesel fuel on the wholesale market is still $3+. While base oils are currently collapsing in price.

So, do I expect to see massive growth in the re-refined market? No. It’s very expensive to get testing done on base oils, to determine compatibility, to develop adpacks for so that you can get OEM approvals, etc. With being limited to being a group II (+ if you want to say) - it has its markets but there is going to be a fall off in the PCEO business.

Add in how volatile the market for this product is and its competitors in normal group II’s - well, it’s going to be limited. There’s other demands for the same product.

Yes, you can get an extremely high quality base stock out of a good re-refinery. I’ve seen out of our (former) refinery 125+ VI 4cst base stocks. The same refinery also burped out some real crap at times, because the feed stocks might have been a bunch of group 1 gear oils from a steel mill. Or something like that. Good feed stocks in = good base oil out. Bad feed stocks in = bad base oil out.

In terms how clean the base stock is… it has the potential to be just as good as any other group 2 on the market. No worries about that. You’re re-hydro treating it. So it’s clean.

The inconsistency in base stocks also makes it hard for toll blenders to use the base stocks reliably. The testing involved, tweaking, etc. Fine for hydraulics or R&O’s. Having a wild VI range for a PCEO - not great.

As for Valvoline nextgen… it actually was born out of my formulation. For our house brand, we were partners with a major quick lube chain that offered our brand, but called it and marketed it as eco. We partners with a used oil collector, who co-owned the re-refinery with us. And we offered a cradle to grave road map for this product. We did a cool film series and advertising campaign. Educating consumers on how the process worked. From birth (re-refining) to blending, to end user, to death and rebirth (re-refining.)

It was pretty popular for several years. Valvoline got onboard with the idea. I actually trucked a substantial amount of the base oil to their blend plant for it initially.

But re-refined group 2s are out in the market place. I can’t say who I know buys them for confidentiality reasons. But you have a chance in finding them in any synthetic blend PCEO. Depends on the market conditions (see above reasons why.)

View attachment 145578

Awesome info. Would it be safe to assume that house brands buy rerefined base stocks?

Thank You

The Montgomery County Alabama Sheriff's Office ran Safetykleen re refined motor oil my four years from 92 to 96 in our Caprices and CV's our cars did just fine. We did change the oil every 3,000 miles though.

View attachment 145578

Great stuff! As usual a lot more goes into the process than I would have imagined.

You mentioned SK has to buy base oils…not sure I follow. I thought their processes allowed for the creation of up to group-III base oils, so they can make both conventional and basic ‘full synthetic’ oil blends with the waste oil they collect and re-refine.
They would have to buy an add-pack from a supplier; but combine it with their base oils.

You mentioned SK has to buy base oils…not sure I follow. I thought their processes allowed for the creation of up to group-III base oils, so they can make both conventional and basic ‘full synthetic’ oil blends with the waste oil they collect and re-refine.
They would have to buy an add-pack from a supplier; but combine it with their base oils.

SK only makes group II currently. As well, you get in what you get out for the most part. They only make a 3 / 5 / 7cst group II’s. So they can make their own 5wXX and 15w40’s. Along with AW32-68.

https://www.kleenperformance.com/si...19-07/Kleen Performance Products Base Oil.pdf

But to make AW100, a straight 30w, or heavier, they have to buy base oils. To make any full synthetics, they have to buy base oils. Just like any other blender.

Nothing to be confused about. They’re a toll blender like anyone else. But they’re trying to get into the self distribution model. But, we’ll see how long that lasts. And who they hire next.

SK only makes group II currently. As well, you get in what you get out for the most part. They only make a 3 / 5 / 7cst group II’s. So they can make their own 5wXX and 15w40’s. Along with AW32-68.

https://www.kleenperformance.com/sites/g/files/bdczcs381/files/2019-07/Kleen Performance Products Base Oil.pdf

But to make AW100, a straight 30w, or heavier, they have to buy base oils. To make any full synthetics, they have to buy base oils. Just like any other blender.

Nothing to be confused about. They’re a toll blender like anyone else. But they’re trying to get into the self distribution model. But, we’ll see how long that lasts. And who they hire next.
I’m very glad I started this thread. You definitely educated me. Thank You

Lil’ off topic: think I asked this before but what happens to majority of car wash/bus station service sludge and oily water stuff? Seems I recall dirty jobs episode showing the barrels of stuff was used in power plants or….

I’m very glad I started this thread. You definitely educated me. Thank You

Lil’ off topic: think I asked this before but what happens to majority of car wash/bus station service sludge and oily water stuff? Seems I recall dirty jobs episode showing the barrels of stuff was used in power plants or….

If it’s contained- I.w barrels, or via their SPCC plan - dehydrated and either burned as a bunker fuel, incinerated, or landfilled.

Last edited:
Back