2014 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L

Today I’m purchasing a 2014 2500HD 6.0l with 225k miles. It was used as a delivery truck for trailers. Single cab, 4x4. I’m buying it to tow boats and use for general use when I need a backbed. It will see about 1k miles a year just towing to the boat ramp, taking boats to get filled up, etc.

Given that it’s high mileage what oil should I be running? Whats the difference in High Mileage vs full synthetic? In my B58 grenadier I’ve been running Quaker State Euro 5w40 and I’d think if that oil is good enough for the turbo charged B58 then it should work well in a NA 6.0L but with this high of mileage I’m unsure what I really need.

the Quaker State 5w-40 euro should be fine, not much difference in high milage oils,just bit more moly and perhaps seal swell conditioners if in doubt check Valvoline high mileage EP 5w30 or 10w-30 .

If you already have the QS 5w40 run that.

In Texas climate any Xw30 or even Xw40 weight will be more than sufficient when changed regularly. If you’re seeing signs of oil weeps or leaks maybe a high mileage oil to them slow down.

I use Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 in the 145,000 mile 6.0 Express in my sig, and the company 200,000 mile 6.0 Express has been getting Service Pro 5W30 full synthetic. A ATF fluid exchange with full synthetic Dexron VI & drain/fill of axles with full syn 75W90 is a good investment. I have had good results with Royal Purple Max Gear, and @Pablo would be happy to get you a deal on Amsoil Severe Gear GL5.

High mileage oil just helps with reducing oil leaks, it doesn't mean it makes a high mileage engine run like new again. If it's available in that grade and doesn't cost any more, I'll run it, but oil leaks don't bother me too much.

Back