Ram 1500 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to post earlier, failed.

$48k, isn't that just the asking price? What kind of rebates/incentives will it wind up with, 6-8 months after it goes on sale? Initial sales will get MSRP, maybe even more; but once it's old news, won't it be "easy" to get a price for 10k less?

Is it possible to get one on the base model? It's my understanding that the VM Motori diesel will eventually make it's way into the Wrangler too.

I don't like the massive amounts of electronics and DEF ... but that seems to be a requirement for modern diesels.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Here is the problem with a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck, anyone really serious about towing will already have a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow anything.

This isn't really catered towards towing as much as it is fuel economy, however, it can tow just fine.

It's kind of like the GM 6.2L back in the day.

Sort of a sideline question, but why is it that it seems like every modern diesel truck on the road spews out clouds of black smoke whenever accelerating? This used to be common on diesels 20-30 years ago, but it's 2013 already. I don't see diesel cars doing this anymore. Why do trucks still do? Is there something different about diesel engines in trucks? Or are these trucks that I'm seeing just broken/modified somehow?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sort of a sideline question, but why is it that it seems like every modern diesel truck on the road spews out clouds of black smoke whenever accelerating? This used to be common on diesels 20-30 years ago, but it's 2013 already. I don't see diesel cars doing this anymore. Why do trucks still do? Is there something different about diesel engines in trucks? Or are these trucks that I'm seeing just broken/modified somehow?

You are seeing the modded diesels "rolling coal."

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Here is the problem with a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck, anyone really serious about towing will already have a 3/4 or 1 ton to tow anything.

This isn't really catered towards towing as much as it is fuel economy, however, it can tow just fine.

It's kind of like the GM 6.2L back in the day.

chevrolet83blazer4.jpg

Not all of them were Army CUCVs

The CUCVs weren't bad...beat the [heck] out of driving an M151 1/4 ton or Duece and a Half in a convoy.

Always loved those 2dr K-blazers. Wish they still made em... Including with a 6.2 diesel or something similar.

Isnt this the engine that they are putting in the JGC also?

Might be worth a look in that vehicle...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Always loved those 2dr K-blazers. Wish they still made em... Including with a 6.2 diesel or something similar.

Isnt this the engine that they are putting in the JGC also?

Might be worth a look in that vehicle...

There's a nice K5 across the street from where I live. I see it all the time.

I really don't have a spot for a 3rd vehicle, and I love my Cherokee, but if that came up for sale I would buy it in an instant and sell the Cherokee.

I like it. It could make for a reliable/efficient work truck with the flexibility to maybe run biodiesel. 9200 lb. towing would be fine with me as anything over that is better handled by a 3/4 or 1 ton anyway.

The issue for me would be packaging. This engine would be great for me in a regular cab Tradesman package...not so much if you also have to get a Laramie crew cab with leather, sunroof, UConnect, etc. just to get the freaking engine. Hopefully they make this engine available across the board. I hate when a good engine is tied to a bunch of feature baggage.

Don't worry about price in this article. That's the base and as-tested price of a Longhorn -- which is the top model. The diesel is available in almost every package -- starting with Tradesman (entry-model Base price = $30,180).
The EcoDiesel weighs 50 lbs more than Hemi. It costs $2850 above the Hemi, and $4000 above the Pentastar. I think it would take a long time to pay for itself over the Pentastar. It tows less than Hemi.

I don't think that takes much thinking, but the purchase of a diesel engine in a pickup is often made on a basis other than a rational thought process.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The EcoDiesel weighs 50 lbs more than Hemi. It costs $2850 above the Hemi, and $4000 above the Pentastar. I think it would take a long time to pay for itself over the Pentastar. It tows less than Hemi.

$4000 over the pentastar is cheap if it is reliable. I want to see it hit 100,000 miles without HPFPs or injectors blowing up like so many present day diesels. I consider today's diesels guilty until proven reliable.

Originally Posted By: dareo
$4000 over the pentastar is cheap if it is reliable. I want to see it hit 250,000 miles without HPFPs or injectors blowing up like so many present day diesels. I consider today's diesels guilty until proven reliable.

Fixed for my desires. A diesel half-ton I would buy for my "only" or daily vehicle, a "do it all", but it'd have to be reliable for that sort of lifetime. Otherwise, if it's only really all that great for 100k, then I might as well go gas and use the purchase savings for daily runabout.

Heck, my VW went 250k before it blew a turbo... Knock on wood, the injectors are still good.

Originally Posted By: dareo
$4000 over the pentastar is cheap if it is reliable. I want to see it hit 100,000 miles without HPFPs or injectors blowing up like so many present day diesels. I consider today's diesels guilty until proven reliable.

I would expect at least 250k miles, and over 10k hours if its a motor that's any good.

100k is nothing, every GM gas truck built in the last 10 years will do that with nothing other than oil changes and maybe an air filter.

Diesels don't have the advantage over gas motors that they once did. Back in the 80's and 90's the advantages were pretty big, now not so much. The death of carburetors and the advent of good fuel injection was when gas engines started to catch up, now the EPA has made them to complicated.

Last edited:
^^^^ Exactly. Gasoline has made great advancements and Diesel has been ratcheted down with emissions requirements. IMO the best diesels are at least 10 years old now due to the EPA stuff. 94-98 12 valve cummins, VW ALH tdi, those are the really good diesels.

Diesel's potential is still much higher than gasoline but that emissions problem is going to be hard to beat for many years to come.

This new diesel could be anywhere from amazing to a complete nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back