Pending UPS strike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the strike of 1997. I was a rookie working for a fledgling air freight cartage agent. It was a disaster then, before E- Commerce, now it would be a disaster x A billion. The TWU holds all the cards. They would be crazy to not go to the jugular now. The administration will let this go to the 11th hour, plus a little, to set the pain set in. And then ride to the rescue. NOT SAYING they don’t deserve it. But it’s a political tool as well.

Actually, I thought it would be more, but is there anything wrong with that?
I doubt that’s even in the top 100 CEOs salaries.
I think many are in billions such as Teslas, CEO
Either way, who doesn’t have a right to earn whatever they can?
It is NOT the amount their paid, IT IS WHO IS PAYING THEM? Usually the CEO pay is approved by the BOARD OF DIRECTORS, of said company, and they have agendas. The major stock holders SHOULD not install board members.

This thread is the exact problem with strikes. It’s had to get a message out there to get the public to understand why. Stuff like “those guys are already paid enough” and the one I’m most shocked by the few that think working out of a 130 degree temp truck is ok. I work for the railroad and I remember seeing the reactions during the recent impending strike and I get this because I don’t know the full working conditions of UPS and I can assure you that the public has no idea what it’s like railroading.

All I’m saying is for those that see these well paying jobs and think they already make enough or get paid to deal with ridiculously hot conditions, they have Union representation for a reason. Large corporations don’t tend to treat their employees nicely out of the goodness of their hearts. It’s not like a small company where the owner knows all of their employees. That personal level of ownership goes a long way to see the work force as people. That’s lost in big business and why unions are needed for physical and dangerous jobs.

I know a senior FEDEX manager out of Memphis, and the potential UPS strike comes up in the conversation.
It's simple, FEDEX will not be able to fill the gap if UPS goes on strike. Not even close.

I agree FedEx will have trouble with just a 25% increase of parcels flowing through their network.

This thread is the exact problem with strikes. It’s had to get a message out there to get the public to understand why. Stuff like “those guys are already paid enough” and the one I’m most shocked by the few that think working out of a 130 degree temp truck is ok. I work for the railroad and I remember seeing the reactions during the recent impending strike and I get this because I don’t know the full working conditions of UPS and I can assure you that the public has no idea what it’s like railroading.

All I’m saying is for those that see these well paying jobs and think they already make enough or get paid to deal with ridiculously hot conditions, they have Union representation for a reason. Large corporations don’t tend to treat their employees nicely out of the goodness of their hearts. It’s not like a small company where the owner knows all of their employees. That personal level of ownership goes a long way to see the work force as people. That’s lost in big business and why unions are needed for physical and dangerous jobs.
I normally don’t support strikes, but was fully behind the railroad strike. Their demands made absolute sense and I was appalled they were even a problem.

The UPS strike is also an easy one to stand behind.

My father-in-law is in a Union that I think enjoyed striking and would do it often. Their demands were silly, and were more arrogance than need.

I agree FedEx will have trouble with just a 25% increase of parcels flowing through their network.
There is more than just Fedex. Besides the national companies there are also regional ones, which can help.

Or avoid it all together and buy on Amazon where they rely little on UPS. Or buy locally, here many retailers will deliver for a small fee.

There are ways to get the job done and I just know from experience it may not be the calamity that's being portrayed.

My next door neighbor works for UPS . Some kind of supervisor I think . He's probably dreading this .

UPS is my favorite courier. That said, these FT guys make 6 figures and get pretty darn good benefits.

I worked for them for a while and realized immediately that they hire a whole bunch of Temps constantly to avoid having to put those guys in a union. Many are seasonal and work every year PT.

They use Temps in HR, for loaders, for deliveries, etc.

It is the curse of a union as they are so **** expensive that companies can't afford (or have the ability) to quickly pivot while also paying those wages and benefits.

The only part-time employees I heard of are the overnight loaders; they only get worked 3a-7a at my area's UPS center. Their pay and benefits are already pretty good too, starting out is like $20/hour and easily gets up to $80k/year within a few years with full medical and dental after 90 days. With OT, some of those guys are making well over $120k/year, especially during the holiday season. The issue is new drivers don't get "their own" delivery route unless a more senior union member leaves; then everybody under gets 'pushed up.' So if there's not enough packages for that day to create another route, the lowest guys go home. I had a buddy who's coming up on 3 years with UPS and he still hasn't gotten his own route.
Those PT guys are all over the facilities and they very often get cut after a while and UPS has no intention on bringing those guys into the union due to cost.

From what I've seen in our area it is dang near impossible to work up from PT to FT.

For $120k a year and their benefits I (and tons of others) are willing and ready to sign up.

I work in management and much of my time is spent in a warehouse that gets well over 100 degrees all summer and I still don't make as much as my UPS driver. I also used to have to drive a truck wirh no AC 12 hours a day years ago and do heavy lifting. It really isn't that bad.

In fact, it's good enough where UPS constantly has guys trying to get hired on for FT. Hence, the strike

I reread the thread, I don't think anybody is saying they already get paid enough - although IMO they really do get great pay and benefits already. It really is a big fight to get in, I've only heard of one or two people out of a group of ~10 getting hired on after the seasonal work ends. If they want to strike then by all means let them strike, their union should be the ones fighting for them as all UPS delivery drivers are union after a year.

Fedex can probably manage things fairly well on the "air" side. It's on the ground side, where it's Fedex Ground, that will be unmanageable. There's really only (2) players in the small-package, ground business (not counting Amazon, yet) - UPS and Fedex Ground. No way Fedex Ground can take over. I do need to ask our FXG driver what's going on on their side related to this. Their drivers will HATE it. They are contractors and are paid by the "day" and it doesn't matter if they work 5 hours or 15 hours, they are paid the same. They'll be working from 6am to 9pm trying to keep up.

AFAIK, UPS only hires on drivers from the seasonal drivers; and usually only second time seasonal drivers. If the sorters don't apply for a seasonal driver position or don't pass the "UPS university" driver training, then they won't be chosen.
Correct, they promote from within. Everyone starts as a package handler, officially "part-time". Most of the time, their only opportunity to be a driver is during "peak" and then they frequently go back to being a handler. Eventually they can get fill-in routes (covering vacations, sick days, etc).

UPS does do "seasonal drivers" here that are 100% contractors, using personal vehicles, and I suspect they primarily do residential deliveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back