Question on FRAM CH9972 filters (see photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on google, Amazon and ebay it would seem the latest Fram design for the topic CH9972 is most similar to OEM. No endcap design with a coo of S Korea.

s-l640.jpg

Interesting. I'll use the Frams I got for ~ 50 cents and not worry about it. The media seemed to be in good shape. It didn't seem brittle or "crunchy" or anything like that. Everything seemed put together well. But when I buy filters going forward, I'll probably go back to OEM since they are just as cheap or cheaper than the auto store brands...unless I find a crazy good clearance like this again. Or I may go with an OEM equivalent like Denso. Rock Auto usually carries them for cheap. :)

Last edited:
Looks to me that FRAM just sub contracts this filter out to whomever when they need some stock. Hence the three different construction methods.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Looks to me that FRAM just sub contracts this filter out to whomever when they need some stock. Hence the three different construction methods.

That's what I'm thinking too. It wouldn't make sense to tool up for a low volume filter.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That's what I'm thinking too. It wouldn't make sense to tool up for a low volume filter.

If it is a Toyota application, I doubt it is a low volume thing. Still though, sometime it is cheaper to subcontract out regardless to fill out the catalog offering. No filter brand makes all their cataloged part numbers and they all cross pollinate between themselves.

At the end of the day, FRAM puts their name on it and will stand behind the product regardless.

Ive been using the 10358 on the corolla (roughly 10 filters). All of them have looked fine upon removal. I actually am using the last one in my stash right now. I'll post a pic of it next change. Next in line are 5 OEM Toyota filters.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Ive been using the 10358 on the corolla (roughly 10 filters). ...
Which version? (Two versions of the Extra Guard 10358 are in stores now, as well as their two higher level models.) I'm using my first Tough Guard 10358 now, so don't know how it will look coming out. The Toyota one and Purolator L16311 (older version) looked good.

Mahle uses the felt endcap like the Chinese Fram, but Mahle makes their filter for this application in Austria
smile.gif

Mahle OX414D1
OX414D1ECO-ANG-05-25-15__ra_p.jpg

I would prefer the Toyota filter, where the oil flow goes right into the "leaves" with no end cap blocking the way.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I would prefer the Toyota filter, where the oil flow goes right into the "leaves" with no end cap blocking the way.
49.gif

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the oil comes through the middle of the filter and pushes outward through the media.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the oil comes through the middle of the filter and pushes outward through the media.
It goes inward from the outside toward the middle. mrdctaylor is correct that some can enter at the ends of endcapless cartridges, but that's not very significant.

49.gif

If you know where to look or if the local dealer has decent pricing the OEM filter is priced right and does the job. Unless Mahle or Mann somehow ports the Mercedes fleece filter to a Toyota-sized cartridge and if I owned a car that took one I wouldn't use a plastic-cased filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back